Quick meals n snacks aside from nuts

Options
SamandaIndia
SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
Help! I got home 11pm. Starving. Already over calories for the day. Want quick food with mainly fat n some protein. No dairy and no sugar. Ate nuts. Lots of nuts. Could of boiled an egg or thawed bacon or got bored with a tin of tuna but at 11pm, past my bed time, I was hoping just a few nuts would surfice. Headache so needed food pre sleep. 500 calories and way too many carbs in those nuts later.... There must be better quick ideas with lower carbs. A coffee or hot chocolate and I would be awake all nighr. Any ideas??

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat, pork rinds, avocado, or a protein shake maybe?
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been snacking on beef jerky and pickles this afternoon so that is all that comes to mind at the moment. Hard boiled egg sounds really good though!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I always try to keep tuna salad made. That plus some pork rinds for a little crunch is a good quick meal, esp. at work when I can't get away to eat a proper meal.

Also, all recipes.com has a turkey sausage recipe that's good. I make up a whole pound of turkey's worth, and keep them in the fridge for a quick breakfast. Cook them on the foreman grill and they're ready super fast, and heat up quickly in the microwave.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    A can of chicken and tuna with some mayo might work. Avocados are also great. Pickles wrapped in some thinly sliced hard salami is wonderful. Olives are good and a nice LC snack as well.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sodium? With the headache I'm thinking broth with butter might help you more. Maybe try that next time then if you're still hungry try some lunch meat wrapped around a pickle spear.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I always do some sandwich sized pepperoni and cream cheese rollup. Such a savory snack and my most favorite. 1-2 oz of each.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni sticks. Easy, fast. Also, a tbsp of peanut butter is satisfying.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Butter, I eat little slivers of grass fed salted butter, tastes so good!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    ditto lunch meat (I do like it wrapped around a pickle spear, too!),pork rinds, an avocado, or some broth in case you're low in sodium causing the headache.

you could make coconut milk and chia seed pudding to keep on hand. i love that stuff.

• CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs have become a staple snack around here. Lunch meat is good, too, ricotta creme is a good sweet tooth snack. If it's late, I usually drink some water and go to bed.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    All of the above!

Next time you feel the headache, try some pickle juice (great for the electrolytes)! The thought grossed me out at first! Now, it's a staple! I began getting a headache at work the other day and made the statement that I needed pickle juice. My coworkers (bunch of nurses) looked at me like I had lost my mind, lol!
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    CMYKRGB wrote: »
    Deviled eggs have become a staple snack around here.

I made my first ever devilled eggs this week, with mashed avocado - so good!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I fill those little sweet peppers with cream cheese...so good. Eggs are always a go-to grab.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    All of the above!

Next time you feel the headache, try some pickle juice (great for the electrolytes)! The thought grossed me out at first! Now, it's a staple! I began getting a headache at work the other day and made the statement that I needed pickle juice. My coworkers (bunch of nurses) looked at me like I had lost my mind, lol!

Haha I thought I was the only person that drank pickle juice. I love pickle juice.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »
    Haha I thought I was the only person that drank pickle juice. I love pickle juice.

+1 on the pickle juice. I also drink it at home. My wife has to leave the room. She hates it.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Herbal teas have no caffeine and cured me of my nightcap problem.
    I buy avocados every week and keep them around for just such a craving. Sprinkle them with tons of salt.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut juice (pickle juice in a pinch) gets added to my 7-11 broccoli bacon cheddar mayo salad when I need a quick mini-dinner during shift patrols. They think I am nuts for scooping up the juice from the hot dog fixin's bar, lol.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    quest bar :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Slices of avocado sprinkled with nutritional yeast make a yummy snack with some cold chicken for protein.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna warn you about quest bars. They are famous for causing carb cravings for lots of us here. You'll find them in my diary on occasion but I'll only allow myself 1/3 of a bar and I treat it like its a candy bar, not food.