New to OA and to this group

Options
Hi, my name is Margaret and I'm a compulsive overeater! Have been to five OA meetings so far & find the meetings & discussions there are helpful. Have bought some of the OA reading material. I'm thinking I need to get more control over the compulsive eating before I focus on losing weight. In fact, stopping compulsive overeating would in itself lead to some weight loss. Meanwhile I am trying to add more activity to my daily life.

Replies

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello Margaret !
    I'm Diane and I am a compulsive eater in recovery. I also work to address disordered eating issues. I attended OA meetings for two years and they really helped. I shifted to a web based OA group when my face-to-face group"disbanded.
    Currently I have lost 96 pounds and am closing in on maintenance. This juncture is where I have lost my way in the past. I know I need to work my program harder, as this is the first time nearing maintenance since starting OA. I look forward to the strength and hope I can gain here.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Margaret! Congrats on getting started! I hope you are getting good information and have found a sponsor. Check out oabigbooksolutiongroup.com if you want to focus more on not compulsive eating. Our group focuses solely on the 12 steps in the Alcoholics Anonymous book to recover from compulsive eating. No food plans or logging your food with your sponsors, we stay with the spiritual solution find peace and freedom from our selfish behaviors around food and life. There are a lot of phone meetings (some are recorded so you can listen anytime) and some are face to face meetings nationwide.

And congrats to Diane, too!

Lisa G, recovered compulsive eater and available sponsor in Calif.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My name is Paula and I am a compulsive overeater. I am returning to this group and to OA. I have actually set a plan of eating that will help me stop obsessing over weight and the latest fad diet. I am a nutritional expert by now with all of my studying and analyzing, but none of it has helped with my compulsive eating. I have a face to face OA group and a sponsor.