December, January and the challenges

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
December was a tough month for me. I set my goals in the challenge thread and I was pretty awesome in the beginning, and only 'ok' towards the end. Exercise didn't happen at all thanks to a series of unfortunate events. First week I got sick, a cold - made me feel too tired to do anything. The 2nd week that cold morphed into infections - double ear and sinus and I missed work for almost the whole week (went home early Monday and didn't come back all week). Was still weak the following week and finally by Christmas day I felt good! I thought I'd start working out again that last week of December, and then the day after Christmas I kicked the side of a cabinet at full force, bare foot, and my toe was bruised/bleeding, and the top and side of my foot and ankle were so sore I could barely walk for a couple of days. So here I am in January, first week back to work and I can't sleep enough to have the energy to add in exercise. I'll give it another day or so and then force it, but damn. Can't catch a break! The good news is that I met my weight loss goal in December despite the struggles (down 4.4 lbs). The downside to that is I had actually lost 9.4 lbs midway through December, but gained some back when the holidays happened and my parents and their stupid cooking got to town.

So far my biggest challenge is feeling like a burden because nobody else eats this way. It seems to annoy my husband a little because he wants to be able to eat the same things (easy things). Lunch is SO hard. We work at the same place so we lunch together, but lunch out is complicated because everywhere has a bun involved. I've decided, though, that I'm going to write down the restaurants we work near and then go check their menus and pick out some go-to's to try and make it easier. I don't want it to feel like a hassle to anyone but me...

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just order things without the bun and eat pretty much anywhere that's convenient if I have to grab something fast while I'm out.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I order salad with chicken or prawns, otherwise with bun and just dont eat it... net result chicken n salad
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have also found that I can find something to eat, where ever I am. I've learned to ask for what I want. Get some funny looks from people, but it doesn't bother me. It's my health, not theirs!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Planning helps. When eating out, I don't eat buns, anything fried or potatoes in any shape or form. Seems to work. Oh, be sure to have some snacks available. Nuts are good. String Cheese and those sausage things you see at the checkout counter (Slim Jims, Beef Jerky etc) also work.

Good luck
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm getting better at it. Salads are generally safe if I ask them to leave off the candied nuts or whatever doesn't fit. Basically everywhere has salad, so I'm going to leave that one in the brain bank. I just don't always want it lol. It works, though. I've found that I don't even want bread anymore. At all. Pasta from time to time still sounds good - and some pizza. But it's infrequent, so I'm ok with that. I have found my mind wandering in to the giving up on this way of eating zone, but I talk myself off the ledge because it truly does make my stomach feel better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm a celiac so even though it seems odd, I will usually bring food when I eat out, especially if it is a fast food place where I can safely eat very little. I will order something but then I supplement it with my own food. Eating LCHF, bringing a bit of food helps me stay on plan. Now a days the food I bring is usually keto coffee with coconut oil, all in a travel mug. It can have up to a couple of hundred calories in it so just a very light lunch is warranted.

I hope you get some sleep and feel better soon.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My husband generally eats the same dinners I do. On occasion I will buy those single serve microwave packages of mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, or rice to supplement his part of the meal. I'll just have meat and a low carb veggie.

As for lunches and dinner out I have no problem finding things to order most anywhere. Burger places I get burgers without the bun and a side salad without croutons. Mexican I get grilled chicken with veggies and cheese and have the rice swapped for guacamole. At Qdoba/Chipotle I get burrito bowls without the rice or beans. Panera I get the chicken Caesar salad. BBQ I get brisket with no sauce and green beans. Chinese I can get the steamed chicken and veggies no rice or sauce and add my own gluten free soy.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Way to persevere through December! I too felt like I couldn't catch a break-got sick, pulled a muscle when I went back to lifting weights later in the month, etc. Life will keep getting in the way and you will have to adjust to keep going. Staying on diet is key. Exercise makes you feel good, is great for cardiovascular health, and will help you tone but it won't help you lose weight. Remember that the next time you have a setback that prevents you from being able to exercise. In terms of eating out, I look at the menu beforehand, when possible, and select what I am going to have and the modifications that will need to be made-wrap a burger in lettuce rather than a bun, sauce on the side, sub french fries for roasted brussel sprouts (so happy this is now a restaurant staple for sides), sauteed spinach or side salad. Other common choices I make-burrito in a bowl (all the good stuff without the wrap or beans), grilled chicken instead of fried, order salads with no croutons (or other carbs like beans, carbs, etc) and if they have candied nuts ask if they have plain ones or ask them to leave them off altogether, beef pho without noodles, instead of sushi eat sashimi, etc. I have found most restaurants to be accommodating. The main thing that has helped me is pre-planning. As long as you have a plan, then you can usually make it work. The hardest places to accommodate to me are chinese restaurants because almost everything is served over rice or noodles and without them it doesn't make for much of a meal.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just think though....through it all you are STILL HERE! well done you, 1 step at a time.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @couchpotato - thank you for listing your go-to meals. I wasn't so sure what to do with chinese and bbq. I love Chipotle, they're fabulous. I do eat some beans sometimes because my carbs go up to 100 a day. I've found that I can usually work in a cup of brocoli cheddar with a caesar salad (no croutons) at Panera without much trouble. Panda is tough, but if I get the teryiaki chicken with no sauce it's doable.