What is your opinion on Facebook Low Carb High Fat Groups?

Options
jen44922
jen44922 Posts: 12 Member
Hi, I am working so hard at holding myself accountable. I also started a group on facebook. The problem is, getting the word out so people can join. I do have quite a bunch of members but would like a lot more. The more people who join, the more we can all benefit from other. The real problem is that the other Low Carb/Atkins groups on Facebook are rude and will not let me share my group in there group so that I can spread the word. I cannot understand this. Why? If they really really want to help others, why be so selfish as to not let their members expand themselves. Is that rude or odd or what? My group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/LowCarbChallenge4us

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Are you in jail because you keep promoting your page??
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    And this is why I don't do Facebook!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    And this is why I don't do Facebook!

Me neither.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ahem..seems I am roundly trounced out of FB groups…(and me such a charmer!)...they are a touchy bunch, the mods usually want no opposite or even any opinions that challenge/open discussions are dicey...…. I'd say why not go to the MAIN MFP page here and mention your LC FB group? people don't know where to turn as newbies
    Adkins has a LC group..but you can't even say the word "fat"..honest...gotta be super upbeat to the point of ludicracy..no negative feelings allowed

so I DO wish you well..and lots of members..be nice to have an active friendly group on FB.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @jen44922 welcome to the MFP forums.

FB in my view has next to no value discussing high value materials and this seems to hold true of health care related info. I find it next to impossible to go back and find the same post in the same day that it was posted and no way to find it weeks, months or years later.

Even forums like this one is not always easy to search it is doable. This forum is more of a community and functions with Community Watch like features. We try to find and post good info without calling others names that will not buy into our views.

Facebook or even MFP are not social media sources of keto advice to blindly follow. You will notice we try to post links that others can read for themselves. We may even post two links that are promoting views that are 180 degrees apart.

What works for one very well might even be life threatening to another. Social media seems to be full of people who think they are RIGHT. When the PhD's are fighting over the facts it only means one thing. The 'FACTS' are not yet fully known yet.

I can not take facebook seriously about serious subjects period. I have never seen social media work without Moderators and then they have their work cut out for themselves often.

We have good Moderators of this sub forum plus the rest of us try to act in a way that we do not over work them. :)

Hopefully you find a way to reach your objective. FB is not without value. I use it to follow local news stories on the local news since we have not TV and to learn the state of relatives that I may never physically meet.

Read what is going on here and add info that you have found helpful. If you know others that may be interested in the subject of Nutritional Ketosis share this link with them.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There is an active group that was started by one of the LCD forum members. I think it's called grease riders. Maybe just join a good group that's already active?
  • Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just looked up your group and I've already joined!!! Hi!!!!!
    Eta: I love Facebook that is where I get a lot of information from what my "friends" are doing to how to take care of chicken/goats. There are groups for everything and everyone.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @Jen, thanks for the link. However, personally, my Facebook is reserved for looking at kiddo pictures of my friends and updates of social activities. I keep my trials and tribulations about my diet and exercise, (which, truthfully, most of my friends could care less about) here on this site. Actually, most of my friends here just humor me, :) but at least they are like minded and as @GaleHawkins points out, this group is moderated and there are some real experts focused on this site who share interesting specific LCHF articles.

This WOE has it's advocates and detractors and this group seems to be more sheltered from the detractors and allows me to stay focused. I also prefer to stay out of the Main Groups here. I also like that this is a private group and I don't get spammed with advertisements associated with my posts or searches. FB has cookies that seem to follow you everywhere.

Good luck and I wish you much success in your journey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Our household rule is: we only friend and interact with people we know IN REAL LIFE.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am on several low carb/keto groups on facebook, and Grease Riders is indeed the one started by a member of this MFP group. We are civilized! There is one that several people say is kicking people off for weird reasons, will try to find the name in the long morass of posts later... I like Keto-Adaptation and Ketogenic Success (a keto podcaster's page) for sane posts. There are tons of these groups, so ymmv. Also lots of recipe pages.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I join the FB groups for food/recipe ideas and reviews...and sometimes the laughs I get from the child-like behavior of grown adults who get offended at the smallest things. :p
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    "The laughs I get from the child-like behavior of grown adults who get offended at the smallest things"

Yes! ..like Jen44992 who posted here about her FB group and other group' rudeness….BUT there may be a reason to not promote her group….she's saying she's going to drop 20 pounds by Feb 1, from Jan 3…( on Low carb? not sure) and when asked HOW she plans to do that ( Is it even POSSIBLE*? or safe?) she immediately deleted the person asking…so yeah, I could be wrong, because several gals in her group immediately agreed "they could do this"…so hey, maybe it IS possible.

* Dr Fung's water fast for 30 days might do it, or taking those HCG drops and going on a severe <600 calorie diet.. but still..20 pounds in 25 days? Pretty much LCHF is a sensible long term plan that allows safe loss over time..months of time.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    jen44922 wrote: »
    Hi, I am working so hard at holding myself accountable. I also started a group on facebook. The problem is, getting the word out so people can join. I do have quite a bunch of members but would like a lot more. The more people who join, the more we can all benefit from other. The real problem is that the other Low Carb/Atkins groups on Facebook are rude and will not let me share my group in there group so that I can spread the word. I cannot understand this. Why? If they really really want to help others, why be so selfish as to not let their members expand themselves. Is that rude or odd or what? My group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/LowCarbChallenge4us

Try "LCHF My Way". It's the only Facebook low carb group I frequent cause they are decent ppl and not heavy handed. The mod used to mod a much larger forum that was sabotaged by another mod and shut down. It's still rather small but I trust will grow. Those other (heavy handed, judgmental) groups just give me stress so IMO are not worth my time!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    There is an active group that was started by one of the LCD forum members. I think it's called grease riders. Maybe just join a good group that's already active?

Oh yeah, silly me. I do use Grease Riders as well. Great group, too. I always forget that one prolly cause it doesn't have "carb" in the name.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Facebook has a horrendous track record with respect to user privacy. I'm pretty sure they'd sell one of your kidneys if they could somehow manage it. Never, ever put any personal information about yourself there unless you're comfortable with the idea that it could go to any third party who's willing to buy it for any reason.

Facebook groups can be pretty awful but they're angels from Heaven compared to Facebook management.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I like ketogenics success I found it through ketovangelist.com
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't have a facebook account, so I guess I don't have to worry about it. :wink: I am on another LC message board, but that's about it. Just these two places.