Electrolytes?

Options
Longbowgilly
Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
Hi,
I am currently going through the menopause and have been having a lot of hot flushes and night sweats that soak everything, I am worried that now I have gone low carb that I will lose even more electrolytes. This is obviously not good and I want to make sure that I keep my levels up, how can I do this without having to resort to making my own bone broth? I have tried making it and really did not like it much, I always use himalayan pink salt and I know that has a good level in it but just wonder if there is something else I can incorporate.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Try dissolving a bullion cube in the appropriate amount of water and drinking that 1 - 2 times per day. That will help with the sodium and electrolytes.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I drink 16oz of Powerade Zero daily. I was having leg cramps nightly but the Powerade stopped them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You could drink the boullion, eat pickles and/or drink the juice, beef jerky, salted water, or eat more of any number of salty foods. The simplest way is to just take sodium chloride tablets. 1000mg in each one. If you keep sodium up, you won't lose so much magnesium and potassium. It's a good idea to supplement magnesium too. Pretty much everyone is deficient anyway since our soil is mostly depleted. A very easy way to get potassium is by using a salt substitute like Lo Salt or Nu Salt on foods in addition to salted bg them.
    The sodium is recommended to be between 3000mg and 5000mg a day for low carb. At the higher end for Keto.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dark chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium (and only 4g net carbs per 25g bar!).

Just sayin'.... ;)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I never liked the taste of salt! That's improved, but I get terrible leg cramps if I don't use my salt tablets daily. I do take a magnesium supplement at bedtime too. Btw: I'm post menopausal too. If I have any sweats (which was also my symptom of keto flu way back in the beginning) I will drink some pickle juice. Finding the balance where you achieve health is your goal! But yea, 3000-5000 mg of sodium is needed daily with this woe to prevent most electrolyte issues.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Food first as described above. There are also some good quality multi minerals and targeted tablets like Magnessium citrate available. Also sachets with electrolytes in. In The Netherlands I have one sachet called macrogol en elektrolyten Sandoz powder. Warning that powder is also useful if you have constipation so possible to have too much!
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have found a site that makes organic bone broth! I have ordered some and I should receive it on Monday, I can't wait to try it! The company is called Broth of Life, they also have a Facebook page.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I too am not a fan of broth. Powerade 0 helps. I found magnesium supplements to help more than anything. I use magnesium glycinate because it is absorbed better than some of the other forms I started with. It's also helped a run with the neck spasms I used to get.