Suggestions Needed!

Options
cindytw
cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
I had a really rough few months, well, maybe more like most of the year, but the worst was the summer. I was totally off the chain and craving junk all the time and giving in! I did a cleanse diet, that wasn't all Paleo, but it helped me! I broke the cycle and stopped craving the junk all the time. But now, I am having trouble again, not with craving junk food, but eating food that we have at work that isn't Paleo. I work in a group home and I cook and eat there all the time. So like tonight we had fish tacos and rice and beans, some green beans and fruit. I made Paleo tortillas, had the veggies and fruit, but suddenly had eaten a big lump of rice and beans without even flinching! I find myself losing control at work a lot. I am often cooking it, it is right there, and I also have a big issue with smell! When I smell something I have a hard time...Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this? My ideas clearly aren't working for me at all!

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Eat three, committed, pre-planned meals a day of whole, simple, paleo food.

Write these meals down ahead of time and have them ready - weighed, measured, chopped, sealed, and ready to sautee, roast, bake, or eat raw.

Make up your mind, one day at a time, that this will be your food for the day and you'll be eating no other food - no matter what. This may well involve bringing your food with you.

Refuse to project into the future. Take it one day at a time only.

Don't expect it to be easy every day. Understand it will be hard at times and that cravings may rear their ugly heads when you least expect them.

Do it anyway. One day at a time.

^ What she said.
  • cindytw
    Options
    You know, the thing is I used to be great at planning and logging/making most of my meals ahead and now...I have been out of that routine for so long that it seems like eons ago! Maybe that is the fatal flaw here! Because I have done this successfully in the past. Thanks!

I am still not sure about the smell thing...maybe I need to put something smelly under my nose! :)
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the smells! Whenever I'm in a situation at work, where I know I may deviate, i walk out the door and around the building, the fresh air helps. I've been away from Paleo for several months, but recently got back on track a week ago. Already my body is recognizing what its been missing, so I'm planning on sticking with this woe for the long haul!
  • cindytw
    Options
    I hear you about the smells! Whenever I'm in a situation at work, where I know I may deviate, i walk out the door and around the building, the fresh air helps. I've been away from Paleo for several months, but recently got back on track a week ago. Already my body is recognizing what its been missing, so I'm planning on sticking with this woe for the long haul!

Thanks! Glad I am not the only one! I will try that! We have a loop driveway I can walk at work!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have been totally non compliant (with the exception of a few weeks here and there) and am still not back on track since I moved in July. I'm very frustrated with myself and it's amazing that all the fat I have gained so quickly has, so far, not deterred me from my current trajectory. I'm very aware of the extra weight, the increasing pain, and return of many afflictions that vanished when I went Paleo/Primal over three years ago... I'm not ignoring, I just haven't taken any action to change it. Yet. Oh and all the added expense of having to buy bigger and bigger and bigger clothes! omg And honestly I'm not at all eating as badly as pre Paleo but my body wants to store every bit of energy it can... hence how long term calorie restriction backfires so badly for some of us.

Unlike in the Arctic, the temptations here are EVERYWHERE. I couldn't understand people who complained that people put food on their desks at work... well, now that's my desk. I had a most painful falling out with a long time friend and I'm still an emotional wreck over it (yeah I know he's not worth it but it's a grieving process and I'm not done yet). I've constantly worried about money, especially because I've been unable to sell my house in the last community. It's a poop storm.

I know what to do but I choose not to. I don't have any legitimate excuses. So far, I have no idea how to force myself to get back on track. I don't want to. Maybe I have to hit bottom again? The fact that I'm very very aware and I'm not liking how hard it is to do everything suddenly bodes well that I'm just about had enough of my BS. I'm not giving up on myself; not even close.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I have been totally non compliant (with the exception of a few weeks here and there) and am still not back on track since I moved in July. I'm very frustrated with myself and it's amazing that all the fat I have gained so quickly has, so far, not deterred me from my current trajectory. I'm very aware of the extra weight, the increasing pain, and return of many afflictions that vanished when I went Paleo/Primal over three years ago... I'm not ignoring, I just haven't taken any action to change it. Yet. Oh and all the added expense of having to buy bigger and bigger and bigger clothes! omg And honestly I'm not at all eating as badly as pre Paleo but my body wants to store every bit of energy it can... hence how long term calorie restriction backfires so badly for some of us.

Unlike in the Arctic, the temptations here are EVERYWHERE. I couldn't understand people who complained that people put food on their desks at work... well, now that's my desk. I had a most painful falling out with a long time friend and I'm still an emotional wreck over it (yeah I know he's not worth it but it's a grieving process and I'm not done yet). I've constantly worried about money, especially because I've been unable to sell my house in the last community. It's a poop storm.

I know what to do but I choose not to. I don't have any legitimate excuses. So far, I have no idea how to force myself to get back on track. I don't want to. Maybe I have to hit bottom again? The fact that I'm very very aware and I'm not liking how hard it is to do everything suddenly bodes well that I'm just about had enough of my BS. I'm not giving up on myself; not even close.

I understand completely what you are saying!! I hope you find the thing that gets you back on track, mine is something that would be TMI! Basically, my belly is getting in the way to the point I have lost some flexibility I need! This is NEW! I used to be much more pear shaped and now I am an avocado growing on apple!! I am still taking a pass until Jan 5th (my first day back after the 26th!). I try to do good, I slip, repeat. One thing that did help me when I was ready, was going extreme for a few days or a week, if that could help you? Is there extreme carnivore??
  • IAmHere4MyHealth
    IAmHere4MyHealth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    "You know, the thing is I used to be great at planning and logging/making most of my meals ahead and now...I have been out of that routine for so long that it seems like eons ago! Maybe that is the fatal flaw here! Because I have done this successfully in the past. Thanks!"

That is EXACTLY where I am in this process! I know I felt, looked, and moved better when I was activly paleo, and now... I went from a 12 to a 24/26! I need a good swift kick in the pants to get me moving again! My birthday is on the 17th, and I know I won't be on plan that day, and if there are left overs, the 18th either, but I'm hoping that I can kick it into high gear after that!
    cindytw wrote: »
    "I am still not sure about the smell thing...maybe I need to put something smelly under my nose! :)

There's someone at my church that smells so strongly that I actually have to leave the area when she comes into the room. I know it's not the same thing, but someone told me that if you put Vick's Vapor Rub under your nose it will kill all other smells... That may be an extreme solution, but if it works...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There IS an extreme carnivore way to eat and I might just need to do that at some point if the gradual thing fails yet again. The Zero Carb mantra of: "eat meat, drink water" is just that: no coffee, no plants, no spices etc only meat and water. I think just getting Primal is a good start for this week. I'll see how it goes. What I cannot do is keep doing what I've been doing for the last 5 months!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The book 'Paleo Coach' really helped me, it addresses emotional eating, the ties we have to processed food, and is really encouraging. It's hard, but we can all do it!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Same here. I went from a 12 to a 16 since last January, and while the joint pain is not as crippling as it was 3 years ago, it's not the direction I want to keep going in. After one day of AIP eating, I woke up feeling better. Tonight makes two whole days, so, yeah. Hoping for gradual improvement.

I think one contributing factor to my backsliding was the amazing effectiveness of collagen for my joint pain. As long as I'm taking it every day, I don't have to be so careful about what I eat. Even nightshades don't give me three days of pain, just a little next - day stiffness.

Pain was such a good motivator... amazing it was good for something. I've finally decided I don't want to settle for "mediocre" either.
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not planning ahead is what derails me every time. When I plan and prepare meals in advance it is so easy though. I got back on the primal wagon yesterday and did a decent 'cook up' yesterday morning of egg & sausage bake (breakfast handled all week and my husband likes this too), a huge pan of meatballs which I can toss some marinara sauce and mozzarella on top of, turn into swedish meatballs in about 10 minutes or eat plain, and 4 large servings of chopped Italian salad plus a container of balsamic vinaigrette and some raw celery, carrots and radishes for snacking. It took less than 90 minutes and food is covered for several days.