What I have learned in the last year...

Options
SaraShyding
SaraShyding Posts: 51 Member
Therapy can be very scary for sure but I have been seeing my therapist the whole last 9 months while I've been working with my addiction issues and behold I have managed to lose 80 pounds so far. I think her help has been critical to my success because this kind of addiction isn't like drugs or smoking or booze. You can't just eliminate the substance all together because unfortunately we all have to eat. I have gone and binged several times over the course of the last 9 months. The key is not throwing in the towel because you feel bad for doing it. Sometimes I get cravings so bad I can't stand it so I give in. I always feel like crap afterwards. I get the good feelings in my head but my body utterly hates me for eating all the food I ate. So I've been trying to concentrate on the bad feelings for some sort of negative reinforcement and by gosh I think it's working because I don't find myself desiring the binges as often. You can binge but don't feel bad about it and get back on the horse the next day. You won't undo all of your good work by faltering one day...it's when you give up altogether that you start undoing all the work you've done. It takes time to gain weight just as it does to lose weight.

Replies

• beckyboo8504
    beckyboo8504 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Way to go! Your progress is really inspirational.

I really need to get a referral from my doctor to see a therapist about my emotional eating. I slipped last night and binged, and I felt terrible, and still felt terrible this morning. But this time I'm not letting myself give up over it. I've given up too many times over regret and shame brought on by my binges. It helped that in spite of the slip last night, I still had lost 3 lbs when I weighed this morning.

But again, I say reading this is definitely an inspiration!
  • kristy31280
    kristy31280 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :) awesome and inspiring
    Well done