Muscle in women

Options
MichaFran
MichaFran Posts: 9 Member
I'm very new to weights! I'd like to build muscle, but I'm not sure how to figure supplements and protein amounts (as a woman). Any tips? I am a little confused by all the info out there!

Replies

• lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    MichaFran wrote: »
    I'm very new to weights! I'd like to build muscle, but I'm not sure how to figure supplements and protein amounts (as a woman). Any tips? I am a little confused by all the info out there!

Dropdeadkate is a lifter, I would send her a message!
  • Xannedoe
    Xannedoe Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MichaFran wrote: »

For these kind of thing you can most certainly get answers in your local fitness as well, it's their job after all :)
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you're brand new aim for about 30g of protein a meal. I try for 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight (about 150 a day)

The only supplements I have found useful are protein powder and fish oil. I don't do pre workouts or amino acids or whatever.

If you want to a more personalized macro calculation just Google "macro calculator" and use one. I use the one on bodybuilding.com but there are several others.

As for women lifting weights, once you're used to it go as heavy as you can. I emphasize that you start light and focus on your form for the first few weeks to avoid injury. Don't worry about bulking women do not have high enough testosterone levels to bulk like a man. Muscle burns way more calories so even after you lift you are burning them.
  • MichaFran
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! One thing though.. what are macros??? Haha thanks!
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    macronutrients ie proten, fat, carbohydrates. main sources of nutrition
  • MichaFran
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!