Help me perfect my routine, please. :)

Options
tiffanylacourse
tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
Okay, so I know the main Stronglifts routine - got that. I need help choosing the accessory lifts/exercises and deciding which ones to do on which days. Can you awesome ladies help me out?

Here's my spreadsheet:

yir61qbybw7x.jpg

The main program is set, but I have 7 accessorial lifts/exercises I want to incorporate (going for glute maximization - can you tell? lol)...

1. Barbell Hip Thrusts (Back resting on bench, not holding bar)
2. Dumbbell Rear Lunge
3. Barbell Glute Bridge (On floor, holding on to bar)
4. High Step-Ups
5. Standing Abductions (Band)
6. Flutterkicks
7. Scissorkicks

Any advice ladies? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you look at Bret Contreras' program he has you hitting glutes 3x a week via at least two main lifts. One of those is knee dominant like a squat or step up and the other hip dominant like a deadlift or hyper extension.

If I were you, and this is what I did when I was doing starting strength I would do hip thrusts every workout changing around reps. Like one workout a week I would do heavy weight low volume, another I would do in rep ranges of 8-12 and the third workout I would do SL hip thrusts for reps around 16. Then I would do the burn out type exercises like bands for abductors and the kicks at the end of every workout OR at the beginning as a glute activator.

The step ups are pretty glute dominant while lunges tend to be more quad. So I would do step ups on deadlift day to really kill my glutes. If you do deficit reverse lunges they get the glutes more than lunges from the floor or spilt squats do.

In summery: one glute bridge or hip thrust variation each workout. One other glute exercise each workout and I'd probably alternate step ups and reverse deficit lunges personally. Banded abductions and other kickbacks and stuff at the beginning to activate the glutes before squatting.

Be prepared for your accessories to interfere with adding weight to your squat. SL assumes no accessories.

This is just my opinion and I am not a trainer.
  • tiffanylacourse
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    If you look at Bret Contreras' program he has you hitting glutes 3x a week via at least two main lifts. One of those is knee dominant like a squat or step up and the other hip dominant like a deadlift or hyper extension.

If I were you, and this is what I did when I was doing starting strength I would do hip thrusts every workout changing around reps. Like one workout a week I would do heavy weight low volume, another I would do in rep ranges of 8-12 and the third workout I would do SL hip thrusts for reps around 16. Then I would do the burn out type exercises like bands for abductors and the kicks at the end of every workout OR at the beginning as a glute activator.

The step ups are pretty glute dominant while lunges tend to be more quad. So I would do step ups on deadlift day to really kill my glutes. If you do deficit reverse lunges they get the glutes more than lunges from the floor or spilt squats do.

In summery: one glute bridge or hip thrust variation each workout. One other glute exercise each workout and I'd probably alternate step ups and reverse deficit lunges personally. Banded abductions and other kickbacks and stuff at the beginning to activate the glutes before squatting.

Be prepared for your accessories to interfere with adding weight to your squat. SL assumes no accessories.

This is just my opinion and I am not a trainer.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I'm okay with slow progression on adding weight if it means I build my muscles the way I'm hoping to. (Does that make sense?) I plan to take it slow and steady anyway and not rush to get the weights up. I want to make this a lasting change and I don't want to injure myself. ;)

Here's what it looks like now - does it look right?

pxmftuurq0gg.jpg
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm on mobile and I can't really look at the spreadsheet. But just try it for a week or two and see if you like it or if you feel the need to move exercises or swap them out. It's all a work in progress and consistency is way more important that finding the perfect exercise selection.
  • tiffanylacourse
    Options
    Awesome - thanks again! :)