Irony and coupons

Options
anglyn1
anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
Each month Kroger sends a magazine with articles, recipes, and coupons. This month the article is about what we here already know, research showing that fat isn't that bad for you and carbs need limiting. While I'm happy lower carb diets are finally being acknowledged in the mainstream I had to laugh at the recipes directly following the advice to limit carbs. Brunch recipes featuring waffles and mimosas. Not just waffles but Smores waffles with marshmallow, chocolate, and graham cracker crumbs served with a mimosa!

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    LOL. Did they at least provide coupons for some low(er) carb items??? I'm a die-hard Kroger shopper, but I rarely have time to check out the coupons.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I can rarely even find plain full fat yogurt at the Kroger(s) where I shop. Maybe they need to read their own article. (I shouldn't complain, though, because they do carry Kerrygold butter, various flour substitutes, and several kinds of coconut oil.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I can rarely even find plain full fat yogurt at the Kroger(s) where I shop. Maybe they need to read their own article. (I shouldn't complain, though, because they do carry Kerrygold butter, various flour substitutes, and several kinds of coconut oil.)

LOL at your OP! That is just too funny, or sad. Can't decide which...

I think all they carry, at least at mine, is Dannon (full fat yogurt, I mean). They didn't even have full fat Greek yogurt...
    But their Carbmaster, low-carb stuff, is ok. It's a "dairy blend" with active cultures in it. Lower cal and too low in fat, but the protein and carbs are pretty good. I use the vanilla for smoothies when I'm doing higher-carb keto (50g). Or some of their flavored ones are ok. I like strawberry and blueberry muffin. Cinnamon roll is just weird... :confounded:
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do most of my shopping at Kroger too and what really gets to me are the substance of coupons themselves!! In my little booklet I get coupons for free boxes of crackers and cookies, free potato chips, coupons for all kinds of junk. I usually scan through my app before I go grocery shopping to see if there's any offers to use when I get to the store but it seems these days at any grocery store unless you are buying detergent or zip locks you are out of luck saving money on anything of any value to your health.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I second the Carbmaster yogurt, especially the vanilla. If you take some of their flavored yogurts and put in some unsweetened coconut, it's really tasty and fairly low carb. And, they did offer me some nice targeted coupons on the mail for lower carb options.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love the vanilla carbmaster yogurt. It is really good with the coconut flakes in it. I also like to shave some dark chocolate in it. When I'm really feeling crazy, I do both! Lol
    I actually haven't had any in months since I've been reducing artificial sweeteners... Kinda miss that stuff
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I liked their carbmaster yogurt when I used to have artificial sweeteners. Sadly they seem to flare my arthritis so I cut them out.

My Kroger just started carrying the Fage Total in the natural/organic dairy case! It's so good!
  • baconslave
    Options
    I love the vanilla carbmaster yogurt. It is really good with the coconut flakes in it. I also like to shave some dark chocolate in it. When I'm really feeling crazy, I do both! Lol
    I actually haven't had any in months since I've been reducing artificial sweeteners... Kinda miss that stuff

That's a nice idea. I bet ground nuts would be good in it, too. Ideas.... >:)

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hah, the irony!

And I shop at Kroger but I don't think I've ever gotten coupons in the mail. I'll have to look into that.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

OMG, I know, right? Even cheese is getting hard to get that isn't "reduced fat!" I don't want reduced fat "cheese" products! I want cheese.

I am a bit fortunate regarding yogurt, though I don't generally buy it since I'm not a yogurt fan without sweetener of some sort, because I have a local dairy that my usual Kroger carries, and they have plain, full-fat yogurt. :)

But man...anything else? Forget it. Even the selection of "fat free"/"low fat" half and half is starting to outnumber the real stuff. Makes me want to strangle people.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can get this in the US but Olympic Krema Plain Yogourt is 11% and 143 cal per 100g (usual mini tub size serving) w 7 g carb, 5 g protein, and 11 g fat. Tastes like cheesecake to me, <3. Sorry thread seems to be getting hijacked....
  • baconslave
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

OMG, I know, right? Even cheese is getting hard to get that isn't "reduced fat!" I don't want reduced fat "cheese" products! I want cheese.

I am a bit fortunate regarding yogurt, though I don't generally buy it since I'm not a yogurt fan without sweetener of some sort, because I have a local dairy that my usual Kroger carries, and they have plain, full-fat yogurt. :)

But man...anything else? Forget it. Even the selection of "fat free"/"low fat" half and half is starting to outnumber the real stuff. Makes me want to strangle people.

speaking of half&half...it reminds me that I've been out of cream and forced to use a mixture of a couple tbsp of milk and a couple tbsp of almond milk. :rage: NOT HAPPY. I used the last up the morning we drove back from SC. That was Wednesday... :disappointed:

That reduced fat cheese is NASTY. It's not cheese. It's frankencheese. I want nothing to do with it. You'd think with a dairy in the region we'd have more products from a dairy in ours. Not so.annoyed.gif

I put cinnamon in mine this morning. I wonder if there is a way to make your own and use stevia to sweeten? Hmmmmm.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Coupons are almost never for the things I like, although I did get a pound of bacon with some reward points recently. I make my own low carb, high fat yogurt.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

speaking of half&half...it reminds me that I've been out of cream and forced to use a mixture of a couple tbsp of milk and a couple tbsp of almond milk. :rage: NOT HAPPY. I used the last up the morning we drove back from SC. That was Wednesday... :disappointed:

That reduced fat cheese is NASTY. It's not cheese. It's frankencheese. I want nothing to do with it. You'd think with a dairy in the region we'd have more products from a dairy in ours. Not so.annoyed.gif

I put cinnamon in mine this morning. I wonder if there is a way to make your own and use stevia to sweeten? Hmmmmm.

Probably could make it on my own. I saw @DittoDan post how he made his own yogurt recently. But, I'm too lazy for all that! Lol
    I saw Kefir comes in a plain, carbs aren't bad but I can't remember what it was. Thinking it might make a yummy "shake" with some HWC or half&half and whatever flavor I felt like adding. My daughter loves the vanilla flavor but their flavored ones are up into the 30's on carb grams due to added sugar.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I liked their carbmaster yogurt when I used to have artificial sweeteners. Sadly they seem to flare my arthritis so I cut them out.

My Kroger just started carrying the Fage Total in the natural/organic dairy case! It's so good!

I just discovered Fage Total! I'm stoked because I had basically stopped eating yogurt all together.
  • baconslave
    edited January 2016
    Options

Probably could make it on my own. I saw @DittoDan post how he made his own yogurt recently. But, I'm too lazy for all that! Lol
    I saw Kefir comes in a plain, carbs aren't bad but I can't remember what it was. Thinking it might make a yummy "shake" with some HWC or half&half and whatever flavor I felt like adding. My daughter loves the vanilla flavor but their flavored ones are up into the 30's on carb grams due to added sugar.

Boo! :-1:

I made my own yogurt once. With soymilk for my oldest son. It was such a PITA. I meant the Carbmaster-like "yogurt." Because it isn't yogurt. It's a "dairy blend" with cultures added. The problem with making non-dairy-milk yogurt is that it doesn't thicken unless you add a thickener. And doing that usually adds carbs. :angry:

I could make a almond milk kefir-like thing using a yogurt method. Again, sounds like a PITA.
    I'll just buy the Carbmaster and keep making my sauerkraut. :lol:
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Last year a friend in Coloado sent me a photo she took in her local grocery. There was a four foot tall sign "Let our pharmacy help you manage your diabetes." Right in front of the sign was a table piled high with cakes, cookies and brownies. Mixed messages, guys!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I made my own yogurt once. With soymilk for my oldest son. It was such a PITA. I meant the Carbmaster-like "yogurt." Because it isn't yogurt. It's a "dairy blend" with cultures added. The problem with making non-dairy-milk yogurt is that it doesn't thicken unless you add a thickener. And doing that usually adds carbs. :angry:

I could make a almond milk kefir-like thing using a yogurt method. Again, sounds like a PITA.

Perking up my ears excitedly....homemade sauerkraut!?!?!?! Do spill your method and madness, please, @baconslave ...
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    A friend in Denver sent me a picture she snapped at a Kroger. The background: A large sign saying "Let our pharmacy help you manage your diabetes." Immediately in front of the sign: a display table piled high with a mountain of cakes, donuts and cookies.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Coconut milk will arguably ferment better than almond milk. Almond milk doesn't really have much in the way of sugars (or fats, for that matter, there really isn't all that much to almond milk in general). Coconut milk, on the other hand, has sugars that can be fermented and fat to thicken the mixture.

Kefir and yogurt really aren't that bad. Heat the milk, add the starter, let it sit in a place that's sufficiently warm (a heating pad and towel do wonders for maintaining the heat) for about 8 hours, done. The vast majority of it is pretty hands off.