Not dieting?

Options
Is anyone else not counting carbs, calories, etc etc etc?

I've spent most of my adult life going from one system to another. Everything works for a bit, until the hassle gets to me and I give up. Usually followed by a rebound, binge-eating fest that has me gaining back my losses and then some.

Been reading "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat" and love the focus on mindfulness over counting. I've been loosely following a clean eating plan, as a guide to foods that fuel my body properly over junk food laden with sugar.

What I'm hoping, is to reteach myself how to take care of my body. So eating better, and going to the gym. Getting a good rest, etc. Rather than a crazy crash diet that I won't be able to maintain.

Replies

• lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else not counting carbs, calories, etc etc etc?

I've spent most of my adult life going from one system to another. Everything works for a bit, until the hassle gets to me and I give up. Usually followed by a rebound, binge-eating fest that has me gaining back my losses and then some.

Been reading "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat" and love the focus on mindfulness over counting. I've been loosely following a clean eating plan, as a guide to foods that fuel my body properly over junk food laden with sugar.

What I'm hoping, is to reteach myself how to take care of my body. So eating better, and going to the gym. Getting a good rest, etc. Rather than a crazy crash diet that I won't be able to maintain.

That's gives me too much reign, but I hope it works out well for you! I'm so jealous when people can find that balance but food for me is like a crutch so having a calorie limit is the only way I lose.
  • marsdahl
    marsdahl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think counting carbs and sugar religiously for a while has helped me be more aware of what I'm putting in my body. I started watching my sugar intake nearly a year and a half ago, and reading labels and really opened my eyes as to how much added sugar is in even seemingly "healthy" foods! I think it's good to be aware of what you're eating and to keep an eye on labels, but you're right, numbers aren't everything.
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eating clean is still a diet, just not one that requires keeping track of anything. If you cut out sugar and processed foods you are doing it right
  • e_boh312
    e_boh312 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to start eating better foods, but won't be counting calories. And I will be cutting sugar...not excited about that.
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    e_boh312 wrote: »
    I'm just going to start eating better foods, but won't be counting calories. And I will be cutting sugar...not excited about that.

cutting sugar is hard and if you are addicted (i am, most people are) expect the first week to be pretty rough. Headaches, brain fog and being tired are common side effects of cutting sugar.

are you cutting all sugar or just processed sugar? fruit contains natural sugars and is a good substitute if you are not trying to cut out sugar completely.

i will say that if you can get through the first week, everything is good and all those cravings and blood sugar drops disappear. so it is worth it in the end.
  • marsdahl
    Options
    I cut sugar after seeing my mother-in-law's success... She was on Lipitor for high triglycerides and finally a med student told her that it might be because she eats too much sugar. That was three or four years ago, and she has cut sugar from her diet and implemented a weightlifting plan and has lost about 50 pounds and gotten off Lipitor.

I read a little about it after that, and it's recommended that women should have no more than 25g of sugar per day. And that's HARD! :) I had a REALLY hard time with it for the first few weeks, and it forced me to change my eating habits from a lot of processed food to a lot of fresh/freshly prepared food. I usually don't count natural sugars from raw fruit or vegetables, but I DO count any sugar from fruits/vegetables that have been processed in any way. 25g per day is a pretty lofty goal, but now that I am working out regularly I allow slightly more sugar than that, usually no more than 35g per day.

It IS hard and the first week sucks, but as dropdeadkate said, it gets better I promise!
  • Xannedoe
    Xannedoe Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    But are natural sugars from fruit calculated into those 25gr a day? a side from fruit and the little bit of honey in my tea, i hardly consume any sugar. I've cut out soda since my first year of highschool and that helped loads for me. that was 7 years a go now and i hardly ever think: some soda would be nice now. I did replace soda with tea. A few weeks ago i actually heard green tea is very good when dieting, can anyone confirm or is it just something they say?
  • marsdahl
    Options
    "According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of ADDED sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons)."

I've heard the same about green tea too. Couldn't hurt, as long as you're drinking water too!
  • Xannedoe
    Options
    yeah, water has never been a problem for me :p i dont get why some people dont like drinking water xd
  • Xannedoe
    Options
    and thanks for the info :)
  • marsdahl
    Options

Xannedoe wrote: »
    and thanks for the info :)

No prob! Yeah I have a problem with water intake, but that's because rural Iowa water tastes terrible!
  • e_boh312
    e_boh312 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

cutting sugar is hard and if you are addicted (i am, most people are) expect the first week to be pretty rough. Headaches, brain fog and being tired are common side effects of cutting sugar.

are you cutting all sugar or just processed sugar? fruit contains natural sugars and is a good substitute if you are not trying to cut out sugar completely.

i will say that if you can get through the first week, everything is good and all those cravings and blood sugar drops disappear. so it is worth it in the end.

Yea, it's super rough and I have already broke. But on a cheat day. I still eat fruit. It will be a battle and I know that, just hoping I can really keep at it. I think that has been the main culprit to me gaining weight. That and me not working out.
  • Xannedoe
    Options

Yea, it's super rough and I have already broke. But on a cheat day. I still eat fruit. It will be a battle and I know that, just hoping I can really keep at it. I think that has been the main culprit to me gaining weight. That and me not working out.

Something that is really hard for me is being reminded to think of the things like not taking sugar. I have an app on my phone that reminds me each morning with a notification of the things i should do today. What also helps for me is wearing objects that service as a visible cue. Like link a certain bracelet with "not allowed to eat any added sugars" and because you see it on your hands the entire time, you're able to remind yourself to be "strong". that's the way i trick myself into these things. Don't know if they work for other people.
  • southassassin
    southassassin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started counting what I eat ( about 15 days) and I am blown away by how wrong I was about what is good and what is bad. I'd say you could do it without counting calories but for me it's good way to keep me on point. As for diets that limit what you can eat, like paleo, low card and all that, I am not trusting of those.

• marsdahl
    Options
    I've only recently started counting what I eat ( about 15 days) and I am blown away by how wrong I was about what is good and what is bad. I'd say you could do it without counting calories but for me it's good way to keep me on point. As for diets that limit what you can eat, like paleo, low card and all that, I am not trusting of those.

I agree... Eventually one might get to the point where he/she doesn't need to count calories and would know how/what to eat intuitively, but keeping an eye on macros definitely helps with accountability if you're just starting out or getting back on the wagon. I used to think I was at the point that I didn't need to count calories, but 15 lbs later, I figured out that I was dead wrong!

I think if you're not one of those people who eat almost the same thing every day, counting macros and calories helps you learn what you should and shouldn't be eating and what works best for you based on your lifestyle and activity level.
  • inspiritedmama
    inspiritedmama Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's been working pretty well for me, to be honest. I'm down 4lbs since my last weigh in. After almost two decades of "shouldn't" foods, and stressing about it. Majorly falling off bandwagons and gaining even more than I've lost... I don't want to do that anymore. After twenty years of dieting I'm heavier than I was when I started.

So, I'm trying something different.

I think the biggest thing is finding what works for you. A way of eating and exercises that one person loves, may not work for someone else. I'm definitely not saying the accountability isn't good. Or that it's not what people should be doing. I'd never give someone advice. I'm just saying it's what I am trying right now, and was curious if anyone else was going that route.