How about that new Fit Bit Blaze?

Options
If you haven't seen it https://www.fitbit.com/blaze

Who will be getting one? I mean looks better than the Apple Watch

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It looks great, but I just got a Fitbit Charge and can't justify spending another 200.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty cool. I wish Fitbit had a trade in system, like Gamestop did with the Nintendo DS.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you haven't seen it https://www.fitbit.com/blaze

Who will be getting one? I mean looks better than the Apple Watch

I hadn't heard anything about it...so, thanks for posting this. It does look very interesting...and better looking than the Apple watch. Unfortunately, I got turned off Fitbit and just got a new Garmin Vivofit2 so I really can't justify the expense...maybe next year.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's tempting, but I want to see it in action. I just upgraded from the flex to the Charge HR, but I bought it at REI, so I *could* return it...
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I did a little reading about it today... It's not a competitor to the apple watch - it really does seem to be a pretty-looking device that hits somewhere between the charge hr and the surge in terms of functionality. That said, if I was to replace my flex, I might go for it (since previously what I would have upgraded to was the hr)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nice, but happy with my Charge HR; just wish they had nice bling bands for it I could get here (UK).
  • antonioramir3z
    antonioramir3z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's tempting, but I want to see it in action. I just upgraded from the flex to the Charge HR, but I bought it at REI, so I *could* return it...

You should. I bought my charge HR from a REI garage sale. It only cost me 75 bucks. But I lost the chance to return it. So it's not all bad for REI if you took it back. That's why I could justify buying another one since I bought my charge pretty much at half price
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and now I want one! I have a fairly new Fitbit Charge HR though, so this one might have to be a wish list item for a while.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think it's their effort to make the Charge HR or Surge less of an exercise device and more of a stylish watch that can be worn out in public. Unfortunately, as usually happens with these things, they failed utterly to appreciate that the majority of their market is women. This thing would look fine on a man's wrist but it's totally off for women's styles.

I'll stick to my recently purchased Charge HR. Maybe one day, one of these companies will actually hire some women in the design and executive teams to understand how to market to women.
  • antonioramir3z
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I think it's their effort to make the Charge HR or Surge less of an exercise device and more of a stylish watch that can be worn out in public. Unfortunately, as usually happens with these things, they failed utterly to appreciate that the majority of their market is women. This thing would look fine on a man's wrist but it's totally off for women's styles.

I'll stick to my recently purchased Charge HR. Maybe one day, one of these companies will actually hire some women in the design and executive teams to understand how to market to women.

So out think the Apple Watch was also marketed just for men too? I mean I like how FitBit is release a bunch of colors for their ChargeHR. Does that try to solve the problem?
  • segacs
    Options
    The Apple Watch was most definitely marketed to men. When Apple realized it was losing money, it shifted gears and tried to get more women to buy them. But it's large, clunky and -- to be honest -- was marketed more as a tech device than a fashion item. If they'd made a women's face version with a bracelet band, they might have had better luck with the female demographic.

And no, the different coloured bands don't make the ChargeHR more stylish for women. They just make it an ugly band in different colours. It will never go well with a classy outfit or replace a bracelet watch.

(A lot of women I know are still using their Zip or One because it can be clipped somewhere hidden, like inside the bra. Wearing a rubberized band on the wrist is just never going to be in style.)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Style aside, there's the size of the thing. I don't give a rip about fashion, so I don't mind how the Charge HR looks on my wrist (although I did like that I could get it in plum, I would have settled for black). However, I ruled out a Surge partly because it was just. so. huge. (It was also more expensive and I didn't care about the extra features.) From my quick glance, it looks like the Blaze is just as large as the Surge.

The size is going to make it out of the question for a lot of women, even if it did come with a stylish band. And, there's no good solution. You can't fit all the information and functionality of a smart watch or comprehensive fitness watch on a screen the size of the typical woman's watch.

If I did have times when my Charge HR would look out of place on my wrist, I'd get a One or Zip to use at those times and still wear the Charge HR most of the time.
  • KetoLife4Me15
    KetoLife4Me15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman with a Surge. Yes, it's very big but I've worn it everyday for a year. Im the not into fashion type lol. The face has held up well. The band, though, is starting to look really bad...with pieces of the coating coming off. I like that the Blaze has interchangeable bands. I wish the Surge did as well. It's my only complaint. I got used to the size.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman with a Surge. Yes, it's very big but I've worn it everyday for a year. Im the not into fashion type lol. The face has held up well. The band, though, is starting to look really bad...with pieces of the coating coming off. I like that the Blaze has interchangeable bands. I wish the Surge did as well. It's my only complaint. I got used to the size.

I suppose I would get used to it too, if I really valued the features. However, getting used to wearing anything on my wrist was enough of an adjustment at the time. I hadn't worn a watch in many, many years and I'm hyper-sensitive to a lot of sensations. (My husband sometimes references "The Princess and the Pea" and... he's right. Things drive me nuts that he'd never notice.)
  • segacs
    Options
    Meanwhile, I've worn a watch my entire life and I don't mind wearing one. But I have tiny wrists -- seriously, they're like 5" around, and even the "small" band size for the Charge HR is too big for me on the tightest setting -- so the size of the Surge or the Blaze would definitely take it out of the realm of possibility for me. The things are bigger than my wrist surface!

I think it would definitely be possible to make a classier, jewelry-looking smartwatch for women that would be small and stylish. The display on the watch face doesn't have to be enormous to contain the key information, which could be scrolled through anyway. You could make it look just like a regular watch, and pair it with a smartphone for more detailed information -- which is what most of us do anyway. I'd definitely buy something like that, if it existed. I like the Charge HR but I don't like how conspicuous it looks on my wrist.
  • segacs
    Options
    Looks like the market was underwhelmed by the Blaze, too: Fitbit's stock dropped 18% in the wake of the product announcement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35238645
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    ah was thinking of the surge but might just have to get this :)
  • antonioramir3z
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Looks like the market was underwhelmed by the Blaze, too: Fitbit's stock dropped 18% in the wake of the product announcement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35238645

It will bounce back again. I know that under armor and garmin are trying to compete but you can't beat the fit bit ecosystem.
  • pjdunning
    pjdunning Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome but i could never wear it. My wrist are too tiny.My flex is a small on the tightest setting and it's still loose.
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited about this. I planned on getting the pink Zip to start with and then I was gonna save up for the Surge. But I ended up getting the pink Flex for Christmas and now I'm gonna be saving up for the Blaze. Unfortunately from what I've seen I've only seen pink Zips and Flexes, so I might end up getting the Blaze in plum color if they don't have it in pink when it comes out. I wish they made all the Fitbit models in a variety of colors.