Question about Metabolism

Options
Candicem99
Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
After years and years of yo-yo dieting, restricting calories, etc., I know that my metabolism is pretty bad. Since October I have been eating a minimum of 1800-2000 calories and not starving myself anymore. I have limited my workouts until recently and backed off the six days a week cardio, trying to not stress my body out. I am slowing gaining weight and have noticed increase snugness in my clothes. When do you know when your metabolism has repaired itself and working correctly again. Is there a way to tell?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When your TDEE is close to expected per best estimates or activity tracker.

Best estimates may be per Katch BMR using BF% in case you lost decent muscle mass through the years, as many do.

And if activity changed and lowered - don't keep eating too high. Life lesson - always eat correctly for activity level.
    If trying to lose weight, that means a tad less than you burn.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I knew I had gone a long way when I hit that high number of eating and on a regular basis I was still hungry. When you first increase your calories (after restricting for a while) you may expeirence this: Don't think you can eat all that food, you feel kind of stuffed, find yourself not really wanting to top off your numbers you had planned to eat. When that happened I used some healthy concentrated calorie foods to help boost macros and not feel stuffed. (cut out some of the low fat and use real oils, fats, cheese, nuts, peanutbutter and an extra serving of carbs) I gained about 10 lbs but that was over about 9 months time with the sharpest increases after a holiday/vacation. After a while you get used to the volume and you will even start to notice your hunger increase on some days (for me it was legs and any other heavy day, not so much for cardio) At this point I really tried to make sure my calories were cleaner and I was getting 25grams of fiber and no more than 75 grams of sugar so that I knew the hunger was increased metabolism and not just unwise food choices leaving me hungry. I ended my reset phase at Christmas so it was a bit of a free for all in the end, not really what I planned but by then my MIND was heald and I have no regrets about that. It's worth noting that when I started the cut cycle and got measured my numbers indicated that a good portion of the 10 lbs has been muscle increase from finally feeding myself. I think it's hard to wrap your mind around. It helped me to eat cleaner mostly, so I could feel better about feeding my self good nutrition when I saw the scale increase rather than worrying about what I was doing to screw things up.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to do is be patient. Depending on how long calorie restriction/ over exercising you have come from will depend on how long your metabolism and really your whole body will take to readjust. Just increase the calories slowly, try to dial back the cardio, do you do any resistance training? Lifting is a great way to get some re-composition going while you slowly increase the calories.
    Have you had a look over a t the website www.em2wl.com ? There is a ton of great info there, free guide to get you started, free workouts etc. Good luck!