Magnesium and arthritis?

Options
Magnesium is a common supplement many of us on this WOE take daily. Has anyone experienced improvement in arthritis symptoms?

I have slacked off on taking my my over the holidays, and I've noticed my knees were getting worse. I assumed it was the new workout program I'd been doing, so I took a break, and in the meantime I started taking collagen daily. I've had a slight improvement from that, but not as much as I'd hoped. I started googling what else I could try, and came across the my connection. Now that the holidays are over and I'm back on track with keto, I've started taking the my again.

Does anyone have any experiences with arthritis pain being reduced? I'm 41, and not ready to accept defeat!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have not made that connection personal. Cutting out all forms of grains and most a ll sugars stopped my arthritis for the most part in just 30 days. That was over 15 months ago. Best of success.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the podcast guest, but I recently listened to one of Jimmy Moore's that talked about the relationship between calcium and magnesium and links to calcium malabsorption and arthritis. But the basic idea I recall is that magnesium helps calcium be absorbed properly and can improve arthritis related to the malabsorption issue. There was definitely talk discussing how commonly calcium is supplemented and how backward that whole idea is. I recall that they felt that in most cases it was magnesium that should be supplemented so that calcium is used efficiently and that most people supplementing calcium are actually making things worse because it's throwing the balance off even further.
    I'm just recalling bits and pieces here. Maybe browse his website and see if you can find that podcast to get the whole explanation more accurately.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I know I feel so much better when I take it like I am supposed to. I have been chronically low since I was pregnant with my last child 16 years ago. (Think IV infusions low while pregnant, low enough it affected my heart rhythm) So I have been off and on it for the past 16 years for low mag and migraine prevention. I know when I miss a few doses I start having sharp chest pains and my calf muscles twitch at night (my legs do get a down to the bone achy feeling) and generally have feel like crap and have no energy. I have been on it consistently (mostly :# ) the past several years. I will try to pay attention to my aches and pains (I'm 42 and I don't like the creaking and groaning that's starting in my body) when I forget to take it for a few days.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - I never even thought about the grains angle. I'll give that a shot.

@Sunny_Bunny_ - that makes so much sense! I might lay off the calcium supplements since I'm getting plenty of dairy anyway, and make sure I get my full dose of mg.

@SoosannahK - yeah, same here. I started taking it for the Charley horses, although I really only did it sporadically. I don't like the creaking either!

Thanks for the input, guys!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - I never even thought about the grains angle. I'll give that a shot.

@Sunny_Bunny_ - that makes so much sense! I might lay off the calcium supplements since I'm getting plenty of dairy anyway, and make sure I get my full dose of mg.

@SoosannahK - yeah, same here. I started taking it for the Charley horses, although I really only did it sporadically. I don't like the creaking either!

Thanks for the input, guys!

I didn't even know that you supplemented calcium. I really bet that's the culprit. The malabsorption had something to do with because the calcium couldn't be taken into the bone like it is supposed to due to lack of magnesium, that it basically finds its way into other tissues where it can create pain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Not for me... That I noticed anyways.

My knee osteoarthritis improved with weight loss, and my autoimmune upper body arthritis went away with the keto diet. I sort of doubt either is magnesium related though because I let my electrolytes go out of whack in my first month with muscle cramps and all, so magnesium was probably low but I was feeling better anyways.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @annalisbeth74 because I went off sugar and grains cold turkey I do not know if it was one or the other or both that reversed 40 years of declining health. Last fall I did read Wheat Belly Total Health by Dr. Davis and he makes a strong case against all seeds from all grasses.

Because I was down to 30 days before the doctors wanted to start Enbrel injections for pain management is the main reason I stopped sugar/grain intake just on a hunch it might manage my pain without wrecking my already sick immune system with Enbrel injections.

I have no idea if what worked for me will work for another but there seems to be no known negative side effect from trying. It has been working for me for 15 months now.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ -I don't really, not with any regularity, but I already get plenty of dairy in my diet that most days I'm over the RDA. Occasionally I throw in a calcium pill because the Dr recommended them when I had my stress fracture, and I still have so many left. I'm definitely going to lay off them now and get better about taking the magnesium.

I'm also going to start phasing out the grains again as well. I did well for a while and the holidays really got me off track. Definitely couldn't hurt, right?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ -I don't really, not with any regularity, but I already get plenty of dairy in my diet that most days I'm over the RDA. Occasionally I throw in a calcium pill because the Dr recommended them when I had my stress fracture, and I still have so many left. I'm definitely going to lay off them now and get better about taking the magnesium.

I'm also going to start phasing out the grains again as well. I did well for a while and the holidays really got me off track. Definitely couldn't hurt, right?

You may be ok to keep taking them as long as you're taking enough magnesium with it. From what I understood, it was a balance thing. The calcium will deposit where it's supposed to if there's enough magnesium available. I don't remember the mechanism, but magnesium is required for the calcium to enter the bone. So, you may still need it too. I'd recommend reading about the calcium/magnesium relationship.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Yeah, that makes sense. I'll definitely have to read up on it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    My husband is 37 and has been having an arthritis flare. He's been hitting the carby-junk pretty hard and he won't take mag like I tell him to. If I tell him the inflammation caused by the carbs is causing the flare, he'll bite my head off and call me a cult-follower, so I don't know what to do for him. I hope you get relief soon.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @annalisbeth74

I know I've dropped this article in a lot of places lately, but it seems to relate to this issue too.

www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

Also, if you're taking calcium without D3/K2, it could just be dumping in your joints or any old where and being a contributing factor to your pain, instead of preventing it... Someone else has more links on that info...

For me, it seems to be a combo that's needed. This is something I sent to a friend recently:

Short explanation. Calcium and D3 absorb better together. K2 drives the bus to get it out of the vessels and into the cell walls, magnesium and potassium are like the passport to get you through the cell walls, and boron maintains structural integrity of cell walls to keep the calcium in there, where it belongs...

@baconslave Maybe if you present it to him as more of a general deficiency that just builds up over time until it flares, then resets, leave the carbs out of it, maybe it will help?

http://gwens-nest.com/magnesium-the-calming-essential-mineral/

And darn, somewhere I have a better article about how we're all so magnesium and all soil nutrients deficient due to soil depletion, but I can't find it right now...