Not a bad first week of LCHF

Options
The app has a bug. My goals are 70/20/10 f/p/c.
Down 5 pounds
No loss of muscle according to my fancy scale.
So glad you guys showed me the Keto calculator.
60-100 grams a day for protein. It is interesting trying to have the 70% fat. Chicken makes for a higher protein day with lower fat, so I need to do some adjusting.
I even successful ate out for one meal. Go me!

8j1i5w7v3gu1.png

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm glad it's going so well for you already. How are you feeling?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Wonderful first week!!! I'm so glad you're here!!

To the chicken, wrap it in bacon, and cook it with butter, and you've solved the issue of low fat! This woe changes our thinking about food!! Next time go with the thighs, or legs (if you like them) since they have more fat!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Nice work. I know what you mean with the chicken. I had the same issue with pork lol. It was an adjustment to get used to knowing I needed some fat with the protein. I like to 'bread' my chicken with parmesan and top with melted asiago and bacon. It was a recipe floating around last year. It's delicious!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you have a bunch of weight to lose?

If so, don't worry too much about the fat - your body will supply it.

Carbs low is the macro you "worry" about, then moderate protein, then fat as needed to satiety and to stave off cravings. Your body "sees" dietary and body fat as the same and will draw first from what you eat, then from your body as needed.

One of the things you will do in maintenance is greatly increase your dietary fat as you have less body fat to use.

Key is sticking with it to become "fat adapted" where your body makes fat burning first, glucose burning secondary instead of the other way around as it is when you're eating higher carb.

8 months in for me, and fat is "easy" and adequate protein is more of a challenge.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree @nicintime, I now have a challenge with protein, fat, not so much! Lol!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty good. Not hungry, which is great!
    the parmesan sounds really good on the chicken. I'll try that this week.
    I have 91 pounds to lose or from a size 22 to size 8, which ever comes first. :-)
    If I don't track my food, I think I would end up overeating my proteins(which would then kick me out of ketosis). I did Atkins in the past(10 years ago) but am leaning more towards Keto syle now.
    I really liked this short video.
    http://boingboing.net/2015/12/17/heres-what-this-man-learned.html?utm_content=buffer10c95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @food_lover16 That's a great short video, especially for people new to ketosis or low carb.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Congrats on an awesome first week. You have done fantastic! Keep up the great work.

For chicken, I usually put cheese, bacon, butter, sour cream, guacamole, or something else yummy on it to help boost the fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @food_lover16 I had and still have a learning curve it seems. Currently coconut oil and flakes make up about 900 of my daily fat calories for example.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic first week! Way to go!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your first week!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with fats, but I never seem to get enough protein.