Learned I have to change the way I talk about food.

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
Has anyone else experienced this?

My family is very accommodating to different WOE, so whenever there is a get together we all double check to make sure whatever we are brining works for everyone.

My sister was having a party for her son with pizza and cupcakes and what not. She asked what she should have for me, I don't like to make anyone do extra work for me so I said not to worry about it.

She then let me know she would have salad there, if that worked for me, and of course that was fine. She wanted to know what kind of dressing I would prefer. Me response was "something low in sugar"

When I got there she showed me the bottle and asked if it was ok, it was a no sugar, no fat, gf, low cal Italian vinaigrette. It was of course fine, but when I said low in sugar, I basically meant a creamy dressing like ranch etc. Now I know, if I want a fatty creamy dressing, I can't just say low sugar, I have to say "something high in fat" lol

I love my family that they are so supportive and concerned, it just makes me laugh sometimes. My SIL knows how I worked to lose weight too and she will always point out things if they are made with low fat/low cal alternatives, like turkey sausage or turkey meatballs. She tells me so I know its "ok" to eat even though I'm trying to lose weight.

Funny thing is before I found this woe I would've done the same thing, I would've assumed it had to be low fat/low cal too not just low sugar.

One of the greatest things I love about this woe is that I can have my salad topped with cold cuts and real ranch dressing, I don't have to make myself suffer through low fat vinaigrettes anymore!

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I am pretty straightforward with people about what I do and do not eat, but my husband's mom makes similar assumptions about what I can and cannot have. My father-in-law gets it because he and his wife went on a low carb diet briefly, and he and I talked about it pretty extensively, but MIL just doesn't really get it. I make it really plain and simple too by just listing what I do not eat rather than saying "I'm following a low-carb diet," which tends to confuse a lot of people. Eh, they'll catch on eventually. And if they don't, I'm a pretty resourceful chick. I know where she keeps her food. ;)
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've similarly changed the way I talk about it. I say that I like simple meals and that I primarily just eat meat, veggies, and fruit. Nothing in a box or bag.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that your family is so supportive! :) I bet they'll understand it within a year or so. My family need to switch to gluten free, and it took the family who we see frequently under a year to understand it... I still often bring an extra food for us just to simplify things a bit. ;)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Other than my sister making the low carb cheesecake at Christmas, and the birthday "steak" in September, my family (mom, dad, sisters, and nieces) hasn't even tried to be accommodating. I believe they feel I'm depriving myself! Like I was, they're all morbidly obese (plus!). They don't get it, and won't. Cest' la vie (sp?) I just lead by example! Can't do anymore than that!

It's great that you have people trying!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm really lucky, my husband is super supportive. He works a late shift, so we only eat dinner twice a week together, but he'll have whatever I'm having when we eat together. He's really enjoying my low carb meals, but he does supplement dinner with a bowl of rice krispies with half a pound of sugar on top afterwards LOL. He even cooked dinner for me tonight, he made zoodles with pesto, mushrooms and ground beef. My mom is diabetic, so she understands why I've changed my eating habits, and my in-laws do Atkins on and off, so they get it too and are always up for just having a steak & some veg for dinner when they visit.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I am blessed to have such an understanding family. It's kinda funny now, I never say I'm in a diet, I say I'm eating healthy. The look on their faces when I have a double bacon cheese burger with no bun. Priceless
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :D
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My husband once described keto as replacing everything you love with meat and cheese. He wasn't a big fan lol. Luckily I like meat and cheese. So now I describe my diet as meat and cheese with some green veggies and fat.

I've been gluten free for years and my poor mother in law just can't wrap her head around it. Once she made pasta and proudly noted that I could have it since it was the "brown" pasta. I was thinking she got brown rice noodles. Nope, whole wheat! Haha.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > Once she made pasta and proudly noted that I could have it since it was the "brown" pasta. I was thinking she got brown rice noodles. Nope, whole wheat! Haha.

I do really think it's sweet when people try to accommodate my "weird diet", but sometimes I just wish they'd leave it alone and be ok with me taking care of things on my own.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    My husband once described keto as replacing everything you love with meat and cheese. He wasn't a big fan lol. Luckily I like meat and cheese. So now I describe my diet as meat and cheese with some green veggies and fat.

I've been gluten free for years and my poor mother in law just can't wrap her head around it. Once she made pasta and proudly noted that I could have it since it was the "brown" pasta. I was thinking she got brown rice noodles. Nope, whole wheat! Haha.

I've had relatives bake for me and proudly tell me (a celiac) that I can eat it because it was whole wheat. They try! It's hard to tell them their effort was a fail. LOL
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how it goes. My in-laws try so hard. They know I eat meat and vegetables. Often when I go over there it is grilled meat, covered in Sweet baby Ray's barbecue sauce, and vegetables corn or carrots. Or potatoes, potatoes are one of their most favorite vegetables, and are served at almost every meal. And they'll even finish with zucchini bread or banana bread, since that's healthy.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Low cal/low fat/whole grains are so ingrained (hah, no pun intended) in people's minds as "healthy."
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

In laws can be tough...my MIL and FIL are both breadholics and have it with every meal, and they still try to push it on me. It makes me cringe because they are both type II diabetic and I know they could lose weight so easily by cutting the carbs but I keep my mouth shut to keep the peace.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I know what you mean! Low cal/low fat/whole grains are so ingrained (hah, no pun intended) in people's minds as "healthy."

Yes exactly. I even told the NP last time when she asked how I lost weight, that I was following a lchf diet. She said oh just a "heart healthy diet" with whole grains and vegetables. I had to correct her and she still wrote down heart healthy diet lol.