Newbie!!

Options
Jff0319
Jff0319 Posts: 3 Member
Hi there! I've been clean for 16 years (12/15/99) and have gained a ton of weight since then. I'm currently at 238. I was 135-150 the majority of my life but let the eating take over. Looking for some friends in recovery to start this weight loss journey with me now.

Replies

• abarringer44
    abarringer44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Congrats on the 16 years of being clean. That really is an accomplishment. I have had my peaks and valleys, and my biggest downfall has been booze. I turned to booze to cope with stress. As a result, my weight has gone up and up for the last year due to a nasty depression. The binge drinking got to me, and I gained a total of almost 30 pounds. I took some of it off, but I still look and feel terrible. When I drink, I don't just do it in small amounts. There are times when I can control it, but usually if there is a bottle open somewhere, I will finish it. I'm finally ready to put it down and get back to work for 2016. How about you?
  • Jff0319
    Jff0319 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue was once I took the drugs/alcohol off of my problems, I just substituted food. Now my challenge is to seriously look at my issues (fears, sadness, stress, etc) and dealing with them without putting food/drugs/alcohol/shopping/etc. on top of them. I wish you the best of luck in getting sober! It's amazing!
  • abarringer44
    abarringer44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yea the cycle is not fun. I'm trying to stick to my guns.
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, been there..and trying to stay sober and eat healthy. I found drinking and bingeing to be my greatest problem... so here I am. Stay motivated and good luck.
  • kimberlynelson10
    kimberlynelson10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in AA and I've got 29 days of sobriety. I put on 30 pounds over the years due to drinking, so I was hoping i would loose weight after I stopped drinking. However, I've been replacing alcohol with food! So, I joined MFP to help me monitor my food and exercise while I get sober. Are there any other groups/resources you can recommend.
  • Vonnarh1979
    Vonnarh1979 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been clean and sober for 8 months on Sept 3rd. Living clean and trying to better my health now. Congrats on all the cleantime!!