Week 2: Warm ups

Options
oremgirl1
oremgirl1 Posts: 59 Member
I learned the hard way last week that I didn't properly warm up before my work outs. So this week I thought we would focus on proper stretching and warm. Since I am clearly no expert in this field, I would love to hear what you all do, duration, etc. to get ready to run. The challenge this week will be to make sure to get a proper warm up in before each run.

Replies

• JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I am TERRIBLE with warming up. I don't usually have a whole lot of time to work out, so I always feel like I'm "wasting" time with a warm up. I know this isn't true and warming up is super important; I just need to change my mind set.

I have been seeing lately that it is not recommended to do static stretches. It's better to do things like jumping jacks, lunges, squats, etc to warm up. Save the static stretching for after. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

If I do warm up, I'll usually walk for a few minutes before breaking out into a run. Normally, I just jump on the treadmill and start out running at a slower pace for a minute and then speed it up. Like I said, I'm terrible at warming up :)
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually walk for 5 minutes before starting to run. Likewise when I cool down. I know static stretching is now frowned upon but I have always done it and there is no stopping me now! I typically do toe-touches, quad stretches, lunges and a calf stretch. My calves always need a bit of a warm up or I pay for it later.