Typical weight loss on Keto?

Options
I understand that not everyone is the same and that males lose faster than woman, and then medical conditions affect it, how close you are to your goal weight and a bunch of other items affect it, BUT
What is the typical weight loss people have per week/month when doing about 20gC and >70% fat?
I'm aiming for a healthy size 8 from a size 22, which I think is about 91 pounds total for me. So I am starting off with a good amount a weight loss each week so far.
I'm just wondering, especially since the MFP does that 'If you did this everyday, you would be ### pds in 5 weeks' screen when you complete your entries each day.
For motivation, I'm thinking about buying a piece of clothing for the summer in a size I can't fit into yet, but want it to be achievable as well.

Replies

• DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, I'd love to find out! I started LCHF 3 days ago and so far I've lost 2.5 kilos (about 5 pounds) though I don't know if that's all water weight or what.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    and being a logic based person, I think it would be cool if we could track the data . Spreadsheet with pounds lost per week and then indicators of data points that would be interesting to see what the results are.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1 year, 15 lbs, 2 dress sizes great bloodwork.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My loss has been funny. I have lost around 12 lbs in the past 10 weeks. Some weeks I lose a lot other weeks I play with 2 lbs up and down. Last week I lost 4lbs, this week I am playing with a pound and a half, but it is TOM and I am rating that up as hormones and bloat and too much fathead pizza on Saturday. I have about 48 more to go. I lose best when I stay under 20g net carbs and around 1600 cals. I contribute my age, the fact that I am female and also yo-yo dieting for 20 years as to having such a hard time releasing weight. I have no known medical problems other than migraine headaches and low magnesium levels which both are treated with mag supplements.

I am 42 yo and 5'10.5" and last cw was 222.8. I want to get down to 175lbs. I am currently in 18 or 20 depending on style and brand. If I can get back to a 12 or 14, I will be elated. I have some size 14 Levis hanging in the closet, almost brand new. In fact I think one pair still has tags on them. The kind that doesn't contain spandex. Good old fashioned levis! These are my goal pants. I could get into them when I was between 190-199 lbs 7 years ago.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    being a logic based person

If you like logic, you'll like this. These guys came up with a mathematical model of weight loss (not based on the simplistic formula that MFP uses) and made an interactive calculator:
    https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html

Edit: you need to turn the advanced controls on in order to enter carb intake.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    and being a logic based person, I think it would be cool if we could track the data . Spreadsheet with pounds lost per week and then indicators of data points that would be interesting to see what the results are.

That would be fun... but hard to do with everyone at different sizes, shapes and ages.

I went from 185-190 to 155 in about three or four months. I was losing 2-3 lbs per week... That was fun while it lasted. LOL ;) It's taken me three more months to get to 150, but I was not "trying" for over half of that time.

My initial weight loss seems to have been on the fast end of things. My guess is it is partially due to my insulin resistance - my body is healthier without many carbs.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult to say what is typical. I've "done" LCing 6 or 7 times. I've dropped 30 pounds at least 5 times and have dropped more than that a couple times. It was different every time. One time I plowed through and lost 2-3 pounds a week. But, typically I lose about a pound a week on average. Some weeks 2-3 pounds; other weeks, nothing.

If someone has a lot of weight to lose (I had about 90 to start with), I tell them to plan on a pound a week average. You will start out far ahead of that, but 30 pounds or so into it, it will even out. You may even stall for a month or more. But, it will get there.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I began LCHF last March. I was size 22. I have lost 44 pounds, so far, and am now size 14. Have about 25 more I will lose, but is super slow now!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You should try the Libra app. It shows you your trends and a less simplistic calculator than MFP's.

I lost 7.8 lbs my first month on keto (Nov) and 7 lbs my second month (Dec). I had gained 20 lbs and I lost a few before starting keto so I'm now about 3 lbs from goal. I've gone from a 12 back to mostly an 8, though some of my pants/jeans from before are still a little too small. ETA: I'm 39 years old and 5'7".

I started a strength training program Jan 1 so the scale has been up and down a little since then (water and glycogen). Trying not to care too much. ;) I did lose another half-inch from my waist though!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow! Loving the info. Thanks guys!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow! Loving the info. Thanks guys!

I know right! I love these kinds of threads :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I started out amazingly well, losing more than 1.5 lbs per week on average for the first 3 months. I started with just less than 40lbs to lose.
    This graph shows my progress and how it's changed. The green line is what the app predicted I would lose and the orange line is the trend of how I am actually losing going down to an estimated goal achieved date. The points are the actual weigh-ins each time I achieved a new low weight. You can see that I was losing faster than the overall trend for the first 3 months and since August, I am losing slower than my trend average. I've had only 1 day that I ate higher carbs but not enough to stop ketone production. I've averaged about 1275-1350 calories the entire time. By calorie math I should've kept losing.
    4azxwxzp920y.png

It's a slippery slope to try to apply predictions to the process. It's a recipe for disappointment. I am actually up about 1 pound from where I was at the end of October right now and nothing about my own body's previous trends prepared me for such a dramatic change of events as far as the scale goes. The really interesting part though is that I'm up 1 pound but down by measurements. I can even pull off a pair of jeans without unbuttoning that I bought in September. But I haven't lost anything in almost 3 months! I also don't do any strength training and did very little other exercise along the way. But pretty much stopped even that little bit since October. So gaining muscle doesn't make sense as a explanation.
    Anyway, I started at a size 12, 165lbs and am now in a loose size 6, 137lbs. I had reached 135.8 in October when the size 6 fit right and wasn't so loose. I'm 5'4".
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    You should try the Libra app. It shows you your trends and a less simplistic calculator than MFP's.

I also love the Libra app. I love seeing that trend line!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is typical, and I see you already listed all the possible variables so I won't repeat them, lol.

Started in the middle of May, I have lost 23 pounds but not into a lower clothing size, I'm near goal weight. My guy lost 55 pounds in that same time frame, and he went from size 42 pants to size 36.

I think it is hard to determine size loss from weight loss because it depends on body composition. Example: about 9 years ago, I weighed 174 and wore size 12 jeans. I went down to 142 pounds and wore an 8. I went up to about 165 pounds but still wore a size 8 (they were tight, but I was also working out so I had less fat). Now I am down to 141 pounds and still in a size 8 (loose, but a 6 would be too tight I think). I have a friend who would go around saying "I can't believe you are a size 8, I always wanted to be a size 8", but she was a 10 and she weighed a lot less. Her hips are just bigger than mine, and even if she lost more fat it wouldn't shrink her bones enough.

^All that to say, don't get too hung up on a particular number on a particular size, because composition and how you are built is going to figure into that.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    During the times i've used keto in the past 17 years the results are usually the same. (Caveat I exercise 5-6 times a week with both cardio and resistance training). Month 1 I lose around 20lbs, month 2 about 8lbs and then if I'm still going about 1 lb / week. Longest i've ever gone is 3 1/2 months losing 32lbs total (after water weight comes back transitioning back to carbs).