MCT oil & "that" side effect that I knew nothing about

Options
Warning for slight TMI.

I bought some fractionated coconut oil last week that I'm going to attempt to make homemade mayo out of at some point. On a whim I added 2 tbsp to my coffee this morning, having no idea that it acts as a laxative. Six hours later, surprise!

I don't think my colon has ever been quite so clean before. Lol. Ah, well. Live and learn, right?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Oh no lol, I've heard some people have to work up to that much. I've never used that much in my coffee, I imagine it would have a similar effect.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish it would have this side affect for me!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Warning for slight TMI.

I bought some fractionated coconut oil last week that I'm going to attempt to make homemade mayo out of at some point. On a whim I added 2 tbsp to my coffee this morning, having no idea that it acts as a laxative. Six hours later, surprise!

I don't think my colon has ever been quite so clean before. Lol. Ah, well. Live and learn, right?

I only use a 1 TBSP of coconut oil in my coffee along with a 1 TBSP kerrygold butter. And like clock work about 1 hr later I am ready for my morning constitutional but it is a normal constitutional not a clean you out from the pit of your soul kind. I have been afraid to increase it to 2 on either because of my morning bathroom break. After that I am good to go for the day.

At least you are squeaky clean now :o
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish it would have this side affect for me!

Nothing, ever, has that effect on me either. I always try to replicate the "offensive" mix when someone reports it and it never works one way or the other, I notice no difference.

I take very strong probiotics that recommend starting at 1/4 of a pill and slowly increase as the organism adapts, to avoid that result. I started at twice the full dose, no result, a couple of days later changed to 3x, twice a day. I've been taking that for months, and doing colon hydrotherapy, and this is the first time I've had a slow but steady improvement in comfort and regularity.

I found that the reason I've had this problem since forever is that I have an extra long colon, with more twists than a rollercoaster, "the kind that could be used as an example in a medical journal", according to the doctor that performed the tests. His suggestion was that I surgically remove two thirds of it, possibly because it would make his article more interesting. I said I would think about it and never returned.

Anyway, this was to suggest that you check if an abnormally long colon is not the reason nothing has this "side effect" on you. There are exams that "map" your intestines and check how long it takes for food to move inside you. If you have this problem, nothing that is prescribed to average people will work for you.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I "go" everyday as long as my fibre is up and I take magnesium. The medication I'm on causes constipation, but I'll be done with it for good in around a month.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh no. LOL I've done that too. 2 Tbs of coconut oil would have to be balanced out with a large chunk of cheese for me. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I believe the amount required to have that affect just varies from person to person.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and see what happens :lol:

When y'all say 2tbs, 30g right?
  • provitasemper
    provitasemper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't experience a change in amount or frequency for movements, however, adding 2T of organic, expeller pressed coconut oil to my daily diet has greatly reduced my IBS symptoms of severe cramping at movements. I have not tried grass fed butter.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I "go" everyday as long as my fibre is up and I take magnesium. The medication I'm on causes constipation, but I'll be done with it for good in around a month.

LOL, sorry for that rant. I keep hoping to find someone with the same problem. But I'm happy that you don't have it!
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't know about y'all,but that first cup of morning coffee gets me within 30 minutes - regardless of what I do or don't add to it. Black, cream and sugar, butter...doesn't matter. Same goes for my husband.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and see what happens :lol:

When y'all say 2tbs, 30g right?

Well, I mean, you could go for like 80g and really test the theory. ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I can get that side effect from MCT oil but not with even 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee in the morning.
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great way to get those parasites outta there!!! :)
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I tried it again today ( 2 tbsp) and nothing! It must've been what I had for lunch yesterday, then. Or maybe the combo of the 2?

Regardless, I had crazy energy today and didn't feel like eating until after 3. Not bad!
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had to go while my tea was brewing, before I added the coconut oil, so will try again tomorrow. I have NEVER spoken so much about my toilet issues as I have on this site, not even to my husband lol
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Using MCT oil is one way to get ketones to your brain when eating high carbs even. Medium Chain Triglycerides are no handled by the digestive system like most other saturated fats. Coconut oil is about 62% MCT's as I recall.

rebootedbody.com/health-benefit-mct-oil/

caloriesproper.com/can-mcts-skirt-the-need-for-strict-keto/

https://bulletproofexec.com/podcast-transcript-13-how-to-upgrade-your-brain-with-coconut-oil-ketones/
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Using MCT oil is one way to get ketones to your brain when eating high carbs even. Medium Chain Triglycerides are no handled by the digestive system like most other saturated fats. Coconut oil is about 62% MCT's as I recall.

Good to know. I'm definitely a convert now!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!