Got sick and fell off the wagon

marlamp10
marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
Just the confession. . .

I really had been very solidly on plan for over three months, with a few planned indulgences over the holidays. Then last Wednesday I got sick (feels like something between a bad cold and mild flu), and after two days of fever, I had no desire for any keto food I had in the house. Nothing tasted good, include chicken broth, and the idea of meat proteins made me mildly nauseous. And I had this enormous craving for a bean burrito!

Well, as Taco Bell is a half block from my house, suffice it to say that I indulged (and felt much better, overall). Then tried to restart LCHF and kept stumbling every couple of days. Finally, yesterday, I was just feeling crabby, tired, and achy, and went headlong into the junk food that people keep bringing to the office.

Pretty much sick to my stomach now from my own actions. And tomorrow I have four days of business travel, which will make keto that much harder to restart.

Anyway, I know what I'm going to have to do, but geez. . .

Replies

• SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    But you're still here, we all struggle at times, just do the best you can, 1 foot in front of the other......slow & steady wins the race
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    I know it's difficult. We are out for the day on Saturday and there's nothing LCHF available from takeaway shops in UK. Might have to put some cheese in my pocket lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I'm sorry you've been ill! I hope you're able to get your wagon going again! Stumbling seems to be part of the process! Traveling can be challenging on LCHF, but is doable. Make the next choice, and then the next.......as best you can, then, before you know it you've helped build an awesome habit! Hugs hun!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    You are not like the ones who give up on MFP and focusing on their food. You are still here. Keep logging no matter how bad it feels.

This whole journey is a mental thing. By still being here you will get through it, maybe longer than you want til you get your mojo back, but my staying here you have a better chance.

We all understand & I just encourage you. Being crabby and tired & achy is probably the carbs. You will know when you have had enough of these feelings & won't tolerate it and then get back to Keto. I just did exactly the same. Off LVHF for 3 weeks - now back in Ketosis and feeling much much better.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Electrolytes to the rescue! Making sure to keep up the sodium all the time will be of great help to you to prevent getting those signals that are telling you that you need carbs. I have no doubt that low electrolytes from the combination of low carb and your flu were causing your body to throw a million signals at you that got interpreted as "I NEED CARBS NOW"!
    If I were you, I would keep sodium tablets on hand and make sure to take one any day that your schedule is whacky and might affect your opportunity to simply get it by salting foods. Anytime you're sick, I would also take one or maybe even two if you're not eating or able to drink several cups of good salty broth every day. It can be hard to get enough sodium especially when we aren't able to eat much or have less control over our foods and eating schedule. The tablet is so simple and having that can really help keep you strong so that you don't feel the pressure from the body signaling a need.
    You are clearly dedicated though. You picked yourself back up and keep doing so and are reaching out for support to pull you through. You will get there. I highly suggest paying close attention to the sodium levels and also taking a magnesium supplement. Look for one that ends with "ate", like citrate or glycinate, for example. And it doesn't hurt to use a salt substitute, like NuSalt or LoSalt, in addition to sea salt to get some potassium too.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Think positive. That sick, queasy feeling from eating what is wrong for you was actually a good thing. (Easy for me to say, of course.)

Over the holidays, I hosted an open house and made some super-rich cream cheese brownies. I didn't eat a single piece, just licked the spoon and my fingers. Before they were even out of the oven, I felt like a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade balloon. It made ignoring the actual brownies on the night of the party a breeze. So "Thanks, Santa Fe Brownies."