Has chicken been a problem to eat post inital recovery? Were you able to go back to it eventually?

Options
Chicken seems to be a problem for me. Anyone else?

Replies

• boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Chicken is pretty much all I can eat after a sleeve 3 months ago - do need plenty of gravy or sauce with it though.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine said she had her only regurgitation after getting her sleeve with chicken. (Since I've gone pescatarian post-sleeve, I wouldn't know.)
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am over 7 weeks from being sleeved. Moist cooked chicken works well for me. I use a slow or pressure cooker. One of my go to items is the canned chicken breast. Never ate it before my surgery but tried it on a recommendation from my nut. It is super soft and has juice with it. I add it to salads and soups to meet my protein goals.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I used the white meaT canned chicken as well.. Was very easy to add to anything and taste was good. My nut did say many people have a problem with chicken initially....but will go away and will be ok with it.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Chicken is the hardest meat for me. I can tolerate dark meat and ground chicken ok now at 10 months. If I have some chicken breast and shred it and mix it with avocado kind of like a chicken salad, that works ok too. It does get better and you figure out some tricks. I assume at some point it will improve more for me but I tend to not eat a lot of chicken because I can't get very much of it down compared to other meats. I don't have as much of an issue with turkey, which I find weird since the texture is so similar.
  • coffeeandacop
    coffeeandacop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with white meat chicken but no problem with dark meat! I also have a hard time with "hamburger" I can eat it ground up just not as a burger! I had bypass 6 months ago
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months post sleeve and can eat chicken, so long as it is tender (the crockpot is my friend) and juicy. If it is dried out, it sits like a brick in my stomach.

My mom is 18mo post bypass and still cannot tolerate chicken. She can do fish, hamburger, steak, turkey, slow cooked pork, and bacon fine. Chicken, pork chops, and pork sausage both give her fits still.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use the packets of chicken (like tuna pkts) and mix with light mayo and bolthouse honey mustard...super yummy and super easy on my tummy! Hahaha. The rhyming is still funny. Ok, that one was unintentional...but still makes me laugh!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 months post opt and I can eat chicken. I have to chew it the required 30 times. If I don't chew it well it's like swallowing a golf ball and creates an uncomfortable pressure. I was probably 8 months out before I started having baked chicken, prior to that time it was ground turkey/chicken/beef.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Shrimp was my problem in the first few months of "normal" eating. Just couldn't get it down.
  • EmergingDawn
    EmergingDawn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am six weeks out and have had no problems with chicken. Granted I have only cooked it in the slow cooker then shredded or chopped fine or pureed it. What has been really hard for me has been fresh fruit, uncooked vegetables, grains, bread etc.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do chicken straight out of surgery. Around 2.5-3 months out my body started accepting it again
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had problems with beef right afterward but chicken was OK as long as I chewed it into oblivion. I used to do a cold chicken salad with canned white meat chicken, mustard and dill relish.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Shrimp was my problem in the first few months of "normal" eating. Just couldn't get it down.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,689 Member
    Options
    Chicken, celery, anything dry of fiber... And yes I can eat them now (2.5 yrs later) but celery fiber is still a bit tough.
  • bassjones
    bassjones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with Chicken breast and beef roast after starting back on real food. A little over a year out and I don't have any issues with anything really.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had (and still have) a hard time with any meat if it is too dry. Especially since we aren't supposed to drink liquids while eating. You might try a bit of chicken broth with it?