How did everyone manage when 6 month meds end?

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
I was taking Omiprizone for the first 6 months. Finished prescription 2 weeks before Christmas and my stomach hurts every time I take 2 bites. Down 5 lbs over the holidays. Anyone else need to go back on these meds? I have my 6 month post op appt coming up on Tuesday. Hope they'll have a good recommendation..

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I ran out of mine for two days the other week...one month post op. Thought I was gonna die everytime I ate anything other than shakes and cheese. I'm gonna ask to stay on mine at least for the first year. It was miserable and lasted about a week.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are these the acid meds? Sorry i'm in Canada, the names aren't always the same.
    Maybe you need to be on them longer. I know in my group, some people are on the meds for life.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I was on them for 4 months solid, then 2 months every other day. After that, it's Beano meltaways only. I was doing those 3-4 per day for a few months, but now (11.5mo) I'm down to using them as needed for foods I know will cause issues.

If you need them longer, use them longer. Talk to your doc.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was never on any meds. What are the meds for? I have never had nausea, acid reflux, etc. My surgeon fixed my hiatal hernia during my RNY. I'm now 3+ years post op and still never had any problems. Didn't use any anti nausea or pain meds beyond 2 weeks post op. ????
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My surgeon has tried twice to have me quit Pantaprozole - like omeprozole but high strength but times with the same results you are describing nausea and pain, not able to eat at all. After the last episode they made the decision to keep me on the meds for at least the first year...and we will go from there, if I miss just one day I know it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    These acid reducers, that I have been on for 24 years, are usually recommended for six weeks by the drug company. Every time I miss a dose I get bad abdominal pain. I now see that the rebound pain is real. I have now learned that to stop these meds they should be weaned, instead of being stopped abruptly!

My research has led me to learn that most GERD is caused from not having enough acid in the stomach, not the other way around!

What I'm doing about it now: I have begun the weaning process, I am using two tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar in 12 oz. water (this adds acid to the stomach, that's needed, and stops the heartburn) when I have heartburn, and have gotten some gastric enzyme supplements that I've begun taking. I just started this week, so I'm early in the process, but am confident that this will help me eliminate another lifelong medication!

Too many times physicians get stuck using what treats the symptoms (pills, which can be detrimental to our health) instead of looking for the cause, and fixing it!

So, don't just stop them abruptly! Best of luck!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm learning how to post some research, bear with me please:
    http://www.judyburgio.com/new-fda-warning-risk-of-infections-with-stomach-acid-blocker-drugs/

This article discusses the use of these medications, and the problems with discontinuing!

Hope this helps!
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Thanks for the info Karlottap - please keep us posted as you progress, I would love to stop my meds eventually too, right now I just don't know how and the pain as you know is just too much! Looking forward to hearing your success!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I will!

I actually began this past Monday by using the Apple cider vinegar (acv), after stopping my Protonix the day before (I hadn't read about the need to wean yet) for heartburn. On Tuesday I began having bad upper tummy pain then it worsened on Wednesday. I began my deeper research and found out about the need to wean. So, I took the Protonix, and felt better within thirty minutes. I also started a gastric enzyme supplement (called Gastrozyme) to help my stomach recover to making acid on its own again.

I have used the acv daily. I understand that 12 ounces is a lot to drink for someone closer to surgery, so the ratios to tolerance would work. It takes me about fifteen minutes to drink it.

Took another Protonix on Friday, when the pain started again, and it looks like I am going to be able to stretch it to tomorrow before I might need another. So, progress is happening, and my tummy actually feels better overall.

Im striving for discontinuation of every medication I can to achieve the healthiest me I can be! These medicines weren't made to be taken forever and people don't realize it! Will keep you informed!
  • RENAEJAE
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback and ideas. I'm hoping the Dr will have a natural remedy for me to try even if he gives me another prescription to use so I can slowly get decrease the med over time. I've printed out my weightloss graph so he can get a visual of my rapid weight loss these past 2 weeks (10lbs since Dec 17th). My goal is to eliminate the need of any lifetime meds like so many of you.

Thanks for the support!

• KarlaYP
    Options
    Update for those interested:
    I've been able to stretch the interval between meds to five days, and counting. I've also been able to go two days before needing the acv (that's very effective for heartburn btw!).
    I am using the gastric enzyme supplement three times a day.

Something is working for me! It feels better than ever! I'm pushing on!

Best of luck OP! :smiley:
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Update for those interested:
    I've been able to stretch the interval between meds to five days, and counting. I've also been able to go two days before needing the acv (that's very effective for heartburn btw!).
    I am using the gastric enzyme supplement three times a day.

Something is working for me! It feels better than ever! I'm pushing on!

Best of luck OP! :smiley:

That is awesome! Do you plan to eventually wean from the enzyme as well?
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hardly used mine. I think I have 2 unfilled bottles of the stuff.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm hoping that once things are fully healed that I won't need them anymore. At least they won't cause osteoporosis if I do need them though! :smiley:
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I kept having problems getting off these. It turns out it is a drug you need to ween yourself off of because the body overproduces when it starts producing acid again. I was on the for almost two years then finally I bought some Tums and Tagament and took as needed. Over the period of about a month things settled down. I wish someone would have told me that my body would need time to adjust to not having the drug.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks for the good info. I went back on it twice a day now I'm down to one daily. Hope to try every other day next week and see how I feel.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I've weaned myself down to every four days now. I expect to be completely off of them within a couple of weeks! I am taking the gastric enzyme supplement but don't expect to always need it. Once my tummy adjusts, and heals, I don't believe they will be necessary, but we'll see! :smiley:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i refilled my ursodial around 12/30. a little early. but i have managed to lose it. so now i think i will have to go 2 weeks without it. and im supposed to take 2 a day (to prevent gallstones). Can only hope for the best.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just had my six-month checkup. I think I can go off the ursodial now, but my PA didn't mention it. Thoughts?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Update on weaning from PPIs: am still at a four day dosing so far, but the heartburn has gone away, completely. My main symptom is still the pain that starts after about four days now, and is gone after about thirty minutes from taking the Protonix. I feel the gastric enzymes have helped tremendously though (lack of heart burn), since I haven't needed the Apple cider vinegar in several days now! This weaning may take longer than I anticipated, but I will get there!

I never took the ursodial post op, but don't feel it would be a necessary medication after your body is finished with the fast weight loss post op. That's just my opinion though, so I recommend you call your doctor's nurse and aske to be sure.