The very spoilery Star Wars thread (read at your own risk)

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I can't believe they killed Han. I'm sad. The movie was really awesome though... Yay for female heroes!

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Saw it over the weekend. I liked it too. Sad for Han and that we now won't see the whole old gang, Han, Chewie, Luke, and Leia, on screen together for one final time. The new droid BB-8 was great as well as the new younger generation characters. I think JJ Abrams did a good job to appeal to old Star Wars fans as well as new ones.

Minor cons/complaints: I felt that Carrie Fisher acting was a bit wooden in some parts. Like when Han dies, she didn't seem all that broken up. It's hard for me to explain, I felt like her acting was meh, like her heart wasn't into it, I guess.
  • phoenixiam
    phoenixiam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Lacroyx.
    I believe the movie is 2 hrs and 15 minutes but it felt like 30 it went by so quickly.
    I had to suspend my disbelief that so much could happen in the 10 minutes before the death planet blew up. Also that they could clear the blast with so little time. But hey it's a movie and I enjoyed every minute!
    Yes I too will miss Hans Solo.
    Star Wars is back! It is in the vein of the first 3 movies made. it is not like the last 3 movies made (which I could only bear to watch once)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Saw it over the weekend. I liked it too. Sad for Han and that we now won't see the whole old gang, Han, Chewie, Luke, and Leia, on screen together for one final time. The new droid BB-8 was great as well as the new younger generation characters. I think JJ Abrams did a good job to appeal to old Star Wars fans as well as new ones.

Minor cons/complaints: I felt that Carrie Fisher acting was a bit wooden in some parts. Like when Han dies, she didn't seem all that broken up. It's hard for me to explain, I felt like her acting was meh, like her heart wasn't into it, I guess.

I felt the same way...but even after watching the original trilogy, her acting is rather wooden the whole time while Harrison Ford carries most of their scenes. IMO.

My only other complaint is planet starkiller thing. That is now three all powerful battle stations blown up by flying in them and shooting them really quickly. It didn't need to be in there (or have it in there as a future threat) and the final scenes would have worked just as well if the whole reason for them going there is to rescue Rey.

Overall though, great movie. I've seen it twice and will probably see it one more time.

Currently reading the Aftermath book, which got slammed by Amazon reviewers but so far I'm enjoying it.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I read most of the Star War novels and I was mad that they screwed up the children of Han and Leia. The books had them with twins (Jaina and Jacen) and a younger son Aniken.

Han dying was the best part of the movie. So emotional and such a great tactic to build the story and the struggle Luke will now face of anger and revenge.

JJ did a great job. It played and felt like the original trilogy.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    We had a super icy day over Christmas weekend, so I begged and begged and begged my fella to marathon the original trilogy with me before seeing the new movie, and it was awesome. B)

I loved Rey's character, and the part of me that's been seeing movies lacking in strong female characters my entire life didn't fully believe it until she Force'd that lightsaber into her hand. For a split second, I thought Finn was going to jump out, or literally *anybody* else, but it went to her. Then I had a "Bravo, Star Wars, bravo." moment.

Now please don't dilute and muck up her awesomeness and amazing story with some convoluted love story in the next one.. For the love of jesus, let's have a female hero who doesn't get immediately tied to a man. >_>
  • Francl27
    Options
    Rey's awesome. Love how she always looks at Finn like he's crazy when he asks if she's ok.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Did you guys read this theory article about how Rey could be Obi Wan Kenobi's granddaughter? I was skeptical at first, but then I read it and... #MINDBLOWN.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html
  • Francl27
    Options
    Did you guys read this theory article about how Rey could be Obi Wan Kenobi's granddaughter? I was skeptical at first, but then I read it and... #MINDBLOWN.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

Yeah I read it too but... I don't know. Seems a bit far fetched that he would have a kid? Who knows.
  • modestashegets
    modestashegets Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Kenobi's granddaughter theory. I read another that she was a reincarnation of Anakin. That one was a bit...mmmm. I kind of DON'T want her to be Luke's daughter because he made that a little too obvious. I want everyone to be wrong. The mass chaos that ensues is beautiful.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've seen it three times thus far and love it more and more each showing. Rey's character was phenomenal (agree with avoiding her having a love interest - I'd be happy if she stayed single the entire series, personally).

I figured Han was going to die in this movie... even so my mouth was still agape when it happened. Chewie's response was epic!

BB8 was awesome, as was his "Thumb's Up" flame :)

I LOVED Kylo Ren's mask and voice modulation. There's been quite a bit of heat around Kylo taking off his mask and him just being a 'simple emo character' but I liked him, and the angle they took, a lot. Peel the onion layers a bit on that and there's so much story to build upon and play with.

The ending w/ Luke made me want to fast-forward to may 2017.

I thought the acting overall was very good. Han's sarcasm and humor as excellent, Finn, Rey and Poe were excellent. Leia was a bit stiff, but still great to see her and Han together. The sets and scenes we so 4, 5 and 6-esque I was drinking in every frame of the movie.

Lots of great nods to the 4, 5 & 6 and such an excellent return to the SW universe that was, in some ways, soured by the prequels (while I don't annihilate the prequels as some do, I do agree that there's a TON to be desired with them). I think JJ Abrams and team had an ungodly amount of expectation and pressure to deliver, and they did almost perfectly.

SW Fan For Life

Kev_
  • MaraOfNaamah
    MaraOfNaamah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I must be in the minority here, because while I enjoyed the movie. I didn't think it was amazing. It felt like an updated (with special effects, etc.) version of the first movie. The constant, written for the audience not the perpetuation of the plot, inside joke got to be annoying. Yes they had both a woman and a black man as the protagonists which was different, but everything else felt like the original Starwars re-branded.

I liked the movie enough. And maybe the future movies will branch out to be something different. For me though, the movie in-and-of itself doesn't rate all the attention that it is currently getting; and only does so because of the legacy of the original movies.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Saw it today...that Hans thing.......Yes,jaw agape!!! ;0
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Funny SNL skit Kylo Ren in Undercover Boss
    https://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE
  • Francl27
    Options
    I must be in the minority here, because while I enjoyed the movie. I didn't think it was amazing. It felt like an updated (with special effects, etc.) version of the first movie. The constant, written for the audience not the perpetuation of the plot, inside joke got to be annoying. Yes they had both a woman and a black man as the protagonists which was different, but everything else felt like the original Starwars re-branded.

I liked the movie enough. And maybe the future movies will branch out to be something different. For me though, the movie in-and-of itself doesn't rate all the attention that it is currently getting; and only does so because of the legacy of the original movies.

I agree, it wasn't very original and it was a bit of a bummer.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah I read it too but... I don't know. Seems a bit far fetched that he would have a kid? Who knows.

Obi-Wan is an old school Jedi, I don't see him breaking the vows even after the fall of the council, especially since he saw what the dark side can do, at least I hope not.

I think she is Luke's daughter, he never had a "code" on that. I feel as a "reboot" of sorts, we need a Skywalker, unless Luke will be a big part of the next Episodes, I felt he would have to die but since they killed Han, he can survive.
  • 2BFitDad08
    2BFitDad08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think she is Obi-Wan's daughter just in the fact that he took off with Luke without a word to anyone and was fine with Darth Vader killing him, to make him more powerful, in the original star wars. Plus, there is the math behind it. The Force Awakens supposedly takes place 30 years after the second Death Star explodes. Which was supposedly 4 years after Obi-Wan was killed. I don't think that Rey looked to be 34 years old.

My thought on her being Luke's daughter is that. If he has been hiding so well that no one can find him. Why couldn't he have brought his daughter along rather than leaving her on a planet to survive.

I think that she is maybe Luke's padawan and is actually Kylo Ren's sister.
  • Francl27
    Options
    2BFitDad08 wrote: »

Don't see how, considering the way Leia and Han were talking.. and Ben would definitely remember having a sister, as he's not much older than her, and she was only 5ish when her parents left her.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options

I like the idea of it a lot except that it would mean Obi Wan Kenobi did not stay true to the code and had a child.

I loved the new movie and can't wait for the next although I wish J.J. Abrams was directing all three.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    2BFitDad08 wrote: »

Don't see how, considering the way Leia and Han were talking.. and Ben would definitely remember having a sister, as he's not much older than her, and she was only 5ish when her parents left her.

Definitely not Ben's sister, I think it's Luke's daughter, watched it again last night and Han takes a liking to her quickly. When he gives her the blaster to protect herself just seemed like he knows her. When Rey walks away from the table Maz looks at Han and says, "who is the girl" I think she could tell she was more than just a random, also think Han tells her who she is. He also goes to Starkiller base without much hesitation, he's a smuggler with his ship back, the old Han would have moved on.

Maybe he didn't recognize her right away when they met because the last time her saw her would have been when she was a child...
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    We had a super icy day over Christmas weekend, so I begged and begged and begged my fella to marathon the original trilogy with me before seeing the new movie, and it was awesome. B)

I loved Rey's character, and the part of me that's been seeing movies lacking in strong female characters my entire life didn't fully believe it until she Force'd that lightsaber into her hand. For a split second, I thought Finn was going to jump out, or literally *anybody* else, but it went to her. Then I had a "Bravo, Star Wars, bravo." moment.

Now please don't dilute and muck up her awesomeness and amazing story with some convoluted love story in the next one.. For the love of jesus, let's have a female hero who doesn't get immediately tied to a man. >_>

^^This