How did you start?

Options
TaraTall
TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
As suggested, how did you start your LC diet? What IS your LC diet?

Did you jump in with two feet for a keto plan?
Did you gradually cut down?

Any Pro tips or warnings?

I am celiac so a lot of the 'bread' cravings are non existent but there's the fruit I'm going to miss and the odd potato based thing (hashbrowns, potatoes, etc).
And on that note of fruit, I have lemon slices in my water usually. Would that affect the carb count or only if I was eating the meat of the fruit?

Thanks gang.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started because my significant other was advised by his doctor to do Atkins. I figured I would be eating lower carb to help him along, but didn't plan to eat as low as he was. My initial goal was to try to be at or under 100 grams carbs. When I got started, I realized after a couple of days that I felt really good eating that way. Most days I was eating between 40-75 grams. I wasn't ever completely strict and on days that I felt like I screwed up, I was still around 100 grams or not far over.

For me, this has worked really well, and I have the latitude to occasionally eat carby things like potatoes or fruit, though some people have said that they need to be under 50 grams or under 20 grams to see results.

Tips:
    -Read the launch pad topics that are stuck at the top of the group forum.
    -Sodium is your friend especially the first few weeks.
    -Fat is your friend.
    -Magnesium is your friend.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I began low carb high fat last March at 100 gm a day and began to notice how good I felt (marked decrease of fibromyalgia pain!)the lower carb I went! On May 1st I went to less than 10, and am now at 20 a day.

The switch to LCHF can be either fast or slow depending on your choice. It takes some tough adjustments in the beginning, but becomes super easy, imo, once you're used to the food choices!

Carb withdrawals are real! One recommendation for fighting them is to forget counting calories (if you do) for the first few weeks. The habit of eating (read snacking) is hard to break at first! When you replace those snacks with LCHF choices, the desire decreases, thereby decreasing the calories consumed once the habit is broken. Another recommendation is to drink some broth that's generously salted everyday to fight the electrolyte imbalance (keto flu) that occurs during adaptation too! We lose them through our urine with the ketones produced from burning fat. Feeling tired, and sluggish, after beginning this woe is a sign that you need to replace the electrolytes!

Imo, lemon slices should be counted in the daily carb count.

My experience has been that I don't miss the foods that I thought I would! I hope you experience the same!

Also, please browse through the Launch Pad located at the top of the group forum page. It's loaded with valuable information that's a huge benefit!

Best of luck!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do very low carb, most days in the neighborhood of 15 g. I am a carb addict, as such I do not have the ability to eat carbs in moderation. Once I start, I find it almost impossible to control it. It is better not to tease myself with allowing bread, sugar and most fruit into my diet.

I started because I was tired of feeling bad. I had arthritis-like symptoms along with no energy and heartburn. The fact that I feel so much better makes me stay with it even when I fail a bit. I set my goals at the beginning where they are now, 70/20/5. At first I had a hard time getting to this level but over time it has gotten easier.

For fruit, you can just stay with what is allowed -- most berries. As far as potatoes, there are about a million ways of dressing up cauliflower to replace them. As a matter of fact, I made a "loaded" baked cauliflower last night that was really good. They weren't potatoes but they were a satisfactory substitute.

I have a cup of hot lemonade everyday. This is supposed to help me prevent kidney stones that are due to insufficient citrate. I use 2 T lemon juice and log the carbs. It doesn't seem to have a negative impact.

Don't expect overnight miracles. Be patient and persevere. Find out what works for you. This way of eating has worked for many who have had a lot of weight to lose. You can do it.

Good luck
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I started, but I found this group very early on. My first decision was that I would no longer eat sugar or starches, so I quit--cold turkey--all sweets (which had become part of my daily intake, sadly), breads, crackers, rice, white potatoes, cereals, and pasta. I did that for a couple weeks while I decided what else I needed to do, and I ended up settling on a loose Atkins type plan, settling on a goal of 40g net carbs per day (because I was breastfeeding at the time and that's what Atkins recommended for nursing mothers). I think easing into it over the course of a couple weeks is what prevented the dreaded keto flu for me, because I don't remember ever feeling crappy and going through withdrawals. I did, as suggested above, eat A LOT in the early days. I kept the snacks handy, because I knew if I got hungry my resolve might weaken. I don't really stress about exact percentages and such as long as I keep my carbs under 40 or so. I'm not sure if that's the best course to take, but I focus on sustainability. I started at the end of February 2015 weighing 236 pounds, and today I'm 176 pounds (lowest to date was 173-something earlier this week, but fluctuations of a few pounds are totally normal for me). Like the others said, check out the LaunchPad. Knowledge is power. Good luck!!! :)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Best advice I can give is have a game plan and set yourself up for success (read read read, plan things you know you can eat and keep them on hand..). I see most people set their self up for failure because they don't have a game plan and they haven't studied up on recipes or foods. I started out on low carb 50g a day then I learned about Lchf and dropped to 20g a day.
    Another thing I would suggest for later on is try to cut all sugars out for a couple of weeks and see how u feel. That was the biggest thing I've learned about myself is sugar triggers hunger for me. You won't know how it affects you until u stop it completely for a few weeks so just try it.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I decided to eat Keto I jumped in with both feet. But with everything it's been a huge learning curve. I try to eat below 20 g net carbs. Usually 75%f/20%p/5%c. Sadly I've had a lot of slip ups and it's affected my adaptation. I wanted the end goal to be weight loss but it quickly transitioned to wanting better health. I have too many benefits I've reaped to change. For me eating higher than 20-30 g leads to cravings.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I started with removing sugar cold turkey1st reading labels. That was all I knew at that time and shed 20lb very quickly. After then reading book and articles & learning I expanded it into the carbs and going Keto. I have not looked back with 70lb now gone.

All of the above posts covers everything I have experienced. The only thing is once I was so Keto adapted I felt light headed and couldn't shift it. I was away interstate in a small country town and doctor surgeries closed on weekends. So I went to the hospital. They had no idea what to do with me. Insisted it was low blood sugars & put me on a glucose drip. Of course then out of Ketosis. After that I have read and learnt more - I now take magnesium supplements and have learnt to salt everything I can tolerate. It has taken me over 3 weeks to get back into Ketosis after the hospital, so far so good 1 week into it.

This group is amazing to also learn. You are in the right place.
  • TaraTall
    Options
    Y'all are amazing. Thank you so much for the tips and advice and your stories. I really appreciate it. I did a quick browse of the launch pad yesterday but I will likely take some time to better 'understand' it versus regurgitating the text.

I think I'll probably action it here in the next couple days :)
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First time was after a year of killing it at the gym and eating HCLF and only losing 6lbs. I talked to a trainer friend who asked about my diet and we determined for one that I was drinking far too many calories/sugar with my lemonade and pop. I switched to diet pepsi and water for 2 weeks and dropped a few lbs just from that. From there I researched low carb and found Protein Power by Drs Eades, bought the book and jumped in. Lost 32lbs in 3 months and that's how I became a believer.
  • mnario313
    mnario313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but have been on /keto on reddit for about a year. I started about a year ago in order to lose weight for my daughter's wedding the following March. lot's of excuses as to why I did nothing about my weight in 2014. Anyway, I had research Keto and started on 1/5/15 - her wedding was on 3/28/15. I lost 36 pounds for her wedding with more to go. My start weight was 266.5. During our dance, she whispered to me - Dad you look great, keep it up. Whatever thought I would have had to quit the journey ended at that moment. I'm down a total of 71 pounds and still going. To be honest, I took some short keto breaks for a few days to "enjoy" life. Although I love this lifestyle. I finally bit the bullet on MFP this week to track why I've been stalled for a while.

It may be too late, but sorry for the long post. Some things I learned alone the way:

Don't stress and panic - I drove myself crazy in the early months afraid anything would kick me out of keto. It drove me nuts. If it happens for whatever reason, relax. GO back the next day and start again.

My weight will fluctuate during the week. - I track my weight every day. Sometimes it'll be up a pound or 2 and then it drops. Typically when I don't drink water, I retain water.

Plan your meals before you go out to eat. - There are few restaurants that I typically go to. I have a meal chosen ahead of time for each one that I eat when I go there. I don't go out often enough to become bored with them.

Don't stress family events. - everyone know I'm doing "low carbs" (easier to explain than Keto to the masses). If it's going to be a carb heavy meal. I'll eat before I go and snack on cheese or low carb options when i get there.

Enjoy life. - don't let the process stress you out to much. Words I should probably take to heart.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ^^ Awesome! Welcome!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 71# ... that is something to be VERY proud of. Welcome.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tried to lower my fat content and calories and while I did lose 10 lbs, it packed itself right back on when I couldn't cope, I felt like I was starving constantly. Even healthy snacks didn't cut it and I hated it. I knew I needed to lose weight, we've been trying for a baby for over a year and it's not happening, and my biological clock is ticking down on the starting to get iffy side (I'm concerned about the increase in birth defects over 35, and I will be 31 next week) I've never had a problem with it before, I've had 4 children, but i've never been this heavy either.
    So, I looked at my options. I watch "My 600 lb life" and while I'm nowhere near that weight (still in the 100's) I saw what kind of diets they were taking to after surgery and did my research.

I'm a week in, and I've never felt better on a diet. I grocery shopped today and realized that this is something I can live with, and I'm not craving bread or carby crap like I used to. I have a lot of hope that this will be successful. I'm still in the learning phase, but so far so good and the water weight came off fast.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I started keto full-fledged on 11/2. I kept my calories at 1350 but changed up my macros. I aimed for 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs but really tried to keep carbs under 20 net/day. I waffled a bit in a range of carbs at first as I got the hang of what to eat, mostly 20-30 net/day, but still lost 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks so I upped my limit to 30 net/day.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have doing LCHF on and off for 10 years. I started because it was the "in" thing to do with some friends. They were all doing it. And it was working for them. I was overweight, so I started it. It worked, I got bored, went off plan, and gained the weight back. Repeat that cycle for a few times.

Then I dug into it, read books, read blogs and finally watched the movie Fat Head. All together it drove home the truth in this way of eating. I have started and fallen many times since then, but I always come back to it. I am convinced this is the way we should eat. Once you get into the reasoning and understanding behind LCHF, then it doesn't make any sense to use any other method.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My GP recommended it because my cholesterol was elevated. That was 9/15. I jumped into low carb with both feet not having a clue. I did a lot of research online, and after a month or so, realized MFP had a community.

I evolved rather quickly into VLCHF, or Keto (are they the same thing? I still don't know!) because it's anti inflammatory. The anti inflammatory benefit was almost immediate for me in that my muscle and joint connective tissue (fibro) no longer ached. My fatigue entirely disappeared, my brain fog lifted. It all happened so immediately, like within the first week. I also started losing weight immediately (I was definitely overweight).

This is such a smart and knowledgeable group of people. This group is such a valuable resource.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I took a long time to actually go low carb. I think from the time I found out that I was prediabetic to when I started a ketogenic diet was around 8-12 months. I didn't want to give up pop and sugary treats. Instead I told myself that I would just cut back a bit... on Monday so in the meantime I should have this pop because it should be my last, and repeat. I gained 10-15 lbs while trying to cut back a bit. LOL

I started cutting out pop in mid June and before the end of that month I was in ketosis. I chose very low carb because cutting back wasn't working for me and because of the Wahl's Protocol and Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions. I also knew about ketogenic diets because at the time I found out that I was prediabetic I had a bit of a brain tumor scare (no tumor, just the symptoms of a pituitary one - weird) so I had learned much about ketosis in terms of treating that. I also have celiac disease and a few other autoimmune issues like arthritis that I knew carbs could be making worse.

To be honest, I started keto when I got too fat and I could see no other ways of making myself healthier. :blush I had to hit a health low to get going... Of course once I got going, I can't believe I (stupidly) waited this long to make myself feel better and all so I could drink a pop or have a candy on most days. What was I thinking?!

I lost 40 lbs very quickly and am hoping to slowly lose another 10lbs. About. I feel great. Wish I had done this years ago.

Anyways...

I gradually cut back carbs over about 2 weeks and then jumped in. Sort of like how I went gluten free; I cut back a bit, confirmed the disease, and then jumped in.

I had done a lot of reading but I didn't believe the advice to increase sodium all the way up to 3000-5000mg per day. That seemed crazy high. I felt pretty crappy for about two weeks and then upped my salt a bit. Then I started getting muscle cramps so I started drinking broth a few days per week and adding a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water every day, along with increasing magnesium and potassium. It really did help.

Welcome to the group.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    As suggested, how did you start your LC diet? What IS your LC diet?

Did you jump in with two feet for a keto plan?
    Did you gradually cut down?

Any Pro tips or warnings?

I am celiac so a lot of the 'bread' cravings are non existent but there's the fruit I'm going to miss and the odd potato based thing (hashbrowns, potatoes, etc).
    And on that note of fruit, I have lemon slices in my water usually. Would that affect the carb count or only if I was eating the meat of the fruit?

Thanks gang.

I started with the old Atkins diet at induction level (20 net carbs a day).

My diet now is to shoot for 10% carbs a day which translates to around 40g carbs a day for me. I usually hit it between 7-12%. I don't stress about it too much. I know what I can and can't eat, and my menu stays the same. I use Pinterest not only to plan quarterly menus but to shop from. Can't say enough about it. If you are on there find me, I'm JessTRoberts and I'd love to follow your board. I'm a huge foodie and always looking for new ideas (like the egg roll in a bowl some one here yesterday told me about).

Yes, I jumped in all the way. I wanted to get into ketosis. I use ketostix daily and they seem to work great for me tho I know results will vary.

Pro tips or warnings. Um, well off the cuff I'd say stay away from sweet food and retrain your taste buds. I don't do Atkins bars and shakes. I shop the grocery perimeter and I drink water and coffee almost exclusively. For me, sweet (even LC) treats create cravings. I also eat three meals a day so I'm never "starving". Took me a while to notice that about myself, but I do better in the evenings if I eat breakfast. I also hate eggs but they are cheap, so I get it over with first thing. Almost every day I have an egg with cheese melted on it for bfast. I do put sweetener in my coffe but I'm drastically down from my eight packs of sugar/3 packs of sweetener. I also now like dark chocolate. It's all about retraining what I think of as sweet, and it took time. Lots of time. That's the warning. I'm still addicted to sugar free Popsicles tho. But...it's a process.

For tips, I'd say use Pinterest, plan your meals, don't buy unhealthy processed food and you can't eat it, get a support system, insist on those around you either supporting you or staying quiet (I tell them they can lecture me after they watch "Fathead", usually works), focus on nourishing your body, cook a lot when you feel like it so you have lots of healthy leftovers in the fridge, and when you mess up, think if it like a marathon and not a sprint. Get up, dust off, and continue on.

For example, these are my macros, goals and what I hit, yesterday. m71aor36osf4.png
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @TaraTall I just found this online and thought of this thread (and your comment in the OP).
    rn1b6z73vltq.jpeg

Has anyone tried spaghetti squash as a hash brown substitute? I'd think you'd need to add long strips of thinly sliced onions or garlic salt tho. Worth a try. http://thehonoursystem.com/2015/03/06/spaghetti-squash-hash-browns-vegan-gluten-free/
  • TaraTall
    Options
    OH MY WORD. Excellent find. I love love spaghetti squash!