Sex Drive

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
one thing I'm curious about is how everyone else's sex drive is with PCOS. I have been in a committed relationship for the past two years. Over the course of our relationship, I have gone from 100 to 0 when it comes to sex drive. I was also suddenly diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the beginning of 2015 (coinciding with the time line of when my sex drive vanished) and then PCOS only about a month or so ago. I also suffer from anxiety.

I'm going to bring this up to my endo at my next appointment in February, but figured I would see if anyone else has this issue?

Replies

• MissLincolnTaylor
    MissLincolnTaylor Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Snap. I have no sex drive what so ever and it stopped when my periods stopped in October 2014. I have no interest what so ever and I use to want it all the time.
  • tiffanysotoxo
    tiffanysotoxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have such a high sex drive sometimes I wonder if that has to do with my high testosterone. Lately though with my medication I've noticed that I'm losing it little by little.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've almost always had a high to mid-high sex drive, and I'm hypothyroid (treated, just adjusted dosages), with PCOS, insulin resistant, on continuous birth control pills, eating a nutritionally ketogenic diet (which totally changes up your female...lubrication chemistry...in a good way, btw), with pelvic organ prolapse, in a committed relationship, and even at my heaviest (medically recorded as 319 - no idea if it was higher), I was still interested in sex, but I have a bit different mindset about that than some folks... My testosterone has never been flagged as high, but I have had a 0 (literally, not enough to register) on a progesterone test at the point in my cycle where it should have been sky-high, estrogen imbalances, diagnosed as PMDD before moving on to more intense diagnoses, been on all kinds of medications off and on due to the emotional boxing match that was my former marriage (Prozac is hell on...climbing to sexual peaks, shall we say!), and I've been all kinds of a mess.... I do NOT have any hesitations whatsoever about answering any questions bluntly fully, should anyone need information. We have to help each other through this...

There are a million factors to arousal/mood as far as this. My main question would be that if your partner chooses to start something up, does the drive resurface, or do you stay totally MEH about it all?

Anxiety meds and or being untreated with it are absolute torture on it. My ex was on ... one med I can't recall offhand that was so bad he literally lost all sensation about it, so his drive, which was already low, TANKED...

But mainly, I would ask your Endo to look at the full hormonal panel - then thyroid panel in depth because it affects EVERYTHING - and then if no answers there, the medication side effects. Also in consideration is your body fat percentage. I can't tell well from your picture, but you have to eat fats regularly and have a decent body fat percentage in order to properly produce all your hormones, and you look moderately thin to me (perspective, I know...). Just something to think about if you don't include much dietary fats in your diet.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I've almost always had a high to mid-high sex drive, and I'm hypothyroid (treated, just adjusted dosages), with PCOS, insulin resistant, on continuous birth control pills, eating a nutritionally ketogenic diet (which totally changes up your female...lubrication chemistry...in a good way, btw), with pelvic organ prolapse, in a committed relationship, and even at my heaviest (medically recorded as 319 - no idea if it was higher), I was still interested in sex, but I have a bit different mindset about that than some folks... My testosterone has never been flagged as high, but I have had a 0 (literally, not enough to register) on a progesterone test at the point in my cycle where it should have been sky-high, estrogen imbalances, diagnosed as PMDD before moving on to more intense diagnoses, been on all kinds of medications off and on due to the emotional boxing match that was my former marriage (Prozac is hell on...climbing to sexual peaks, shall we say!), and I've been all kinds of a mess.... I do NOT have any hesitations whatsoever about answering any questions bluntly fully, should anyone need information. We have to help each other through this...

There are a million factors to arousal/mood as far as this. My main question would be that if your partner chooses to start something up, does the drive resurface, or do you stay totally MEH about it all?

Anxiety meds and or being untreated with it are absolute torture on it. My ex was on ... one med I can't recall offhand that was so bad he literally lost all sensation about it, so his drive, which was already low, TANKED...

But mainly, I would ask your Endo to look at the full hormonal panel - then thyroid panel in depth because it affects EVERYTHING - and then if no answers there, the medication side effects. Also in consideration is your body fat percentage. I can't tell well from your picture, but you have to eat fats regularly and have a decent body fat percentage in order to properly produce all your hormones, and you look moderately thin to me (perspective, I know...). Just something to think about if you don't include much dietary fats in your diet.

It could be my anxiety meds, but I've been on them for much longer than when this no-sex drive issue started up..

I'm absolutely "meh" when he is "in the mood" and decides to try something - I feel terrible since I don't know why I feel like this!

I eat 50g of fat a day and my BF % is definitely not an issue (i'm 5'10", 192lbs right now trying to get down to 175lbs), but thanks for the compliment :)

I guess it will remain a mystery until my appointment in 4 weeks!
  • Passionately_Positive
    Options
    I have a high sex drive but I always have done. But I believe its related to my Epilepsy which is hormonally driven.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2016
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

It could be my anxiety meds, but I've been on them for much longer than when this no-sex drive issue started up..

I'm absolutely "meh" when he is "in the mood" and decides to try something - I feel terrible since I don't know why I feel like this!

I eat 50g of fat a day and my BF % is definitely not an issue (i'm 5'10", 192lbs right now trying to get down to 175lbs), but thanks for the compliment :)

I guess it will remain a mystery until my appointment in 4 weeks!

At risk of crossing a line that can be personal for some folks, have you tried reading or watching something to help fuel past the MEH stage? Is there anything you can do to help it? Sometimes, for me, when I was recovering from Prozac (took over a decade, thanks), it was a case of "fake it until you make it." I had to make like I was enjoying things to be able to actually relax and enjoy things. This ties back into the anxiety meds. Once I realized it was possible and I stopped putting the performance type pressures on myself, things went back to normal, mostly.

But, just last week, I had a day that it took over an hour of my guy giving a good effort of talking to me, touching my back, and just letting me be a b-witch for me to even relax enough to get beyond MEH. And there was literally NO REASON THAT MADE SENSE FOR IT... EDITED TO ADD: and it wasn't even a relaxing versus stress thing. I couldn't tell you why... But just one final touch or thought or something, and it broke through that barrier and I just literally let a loud sigh of relief!! Goodness, I thought I was going to lose it... (HUGS)

Even though you've been taking them longer, have you changed anything else? Lost weight? Gained weight? Changed your diet? Changed where you live? Changed your sleep? Literally any minor changes can add up to alter your body's chemistry, and all medications change the way they work within our systems over time. Some lose efficacy, some develop side effects, some stop working altogether!

I would definitely type in your symptoms into a search and just see what comes up.

Just for information, I'd recommend reading this to see if any of it applies:
    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

Good luck and I hope you find some peace. No one deserves to live disconnected like that ! (HUGS)
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mine varies greatly, sometimes with no rhyme or reason. I think my fatigue and pain affect it more than my general PCOS, but I don't have crazy weird hormone levels, so...I dunno if I'm helpful at all?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Mine was negatively affected when I was on the pill and the nuva ring but otherwise no problems. Since I had a variety of side effects from those two forms of BC, I've been using FAM to avoid (also used it to TTC).
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've found ever since I was diagnosed with pcos, my sex drive plummeted. Even when my husband manages to convince me of getting into it, I have absolutely NO lubrication down there. We have to use ky jelly now.
    But once we're doing it, I get past the MEH stage and actually enjoy it. Lol it's just the "getting in the mood" part that's frustrating.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I dry out but the drive is there. I am on progesterone and about 20 other things but I am getting better.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'd say my sex drive is pretty darn high - even my husband is astounded by it LOL. I am actually irrationally afraid of losing that drive, like I dread the thought even. Hopefully that doesn't come along any time soon. That said, it's hit or miss on how responsive my body is (sensitivity and such).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I'd say my sex drive is pretty darn high - even my husband is astounded by it LOL. I am actually irrationally afraid of losing that drive, like I dread the thought even. Hopefully that doesn't come along any time soon. That said, it's hit or miss on how responsive my body is (sensitivity and such).

I think a lot of this for me is close to home, too. It's more of a mental thing than a body thing... I sometimes have to mentally set aside ALLOFLIFE'SINSANITY and focus on the moment - remembering WHY, etc. I think that after 20 some years, an ex-husband, and a current guy, with a 4 year hiatus in the middle, that I'm just set high - and that my hormones don't affect mine, for some reason.

I will say though. Prozac is PURE EVIL in this ... genre.
  • tatdhousewife
    tatdhousewife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, my sex drive diminished greatly due to anxiety that stemmed from my body. My version of PCOS was bleeding constantly for weeks or months, or just randomly here and there. I never felt clean, or like I smelled decent, etc. It was a very difficult time in my life. Since starting birth control (Nuva Ring) 3 years ago, my sex drive is nuts. I do believe it was the mental block of feeling gross that killed it for me, not a hormonal problem.