Ideal Sugar Substitute ? Thoughts?

Options
Scubanana7
Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
My daughter brought me some Ideal. It tastes great, but I am getting conflicting advice. Any LCHF friends have ideas?

Replies

• provitasemper
    provitasemper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! Since Ideal is a blend of xylitol, dextrose (sugar), maltodextrin, and sucralose (sugar that's been chlorinated to make it zero calorie aka Splenda), I myself steer clear, as I ONLY use 100% Xylitol with no fillers or other chemicals added. I find that Sucralose actually makes me hungry and gives me migraines. It is a laboratory concocted chemical but Xylitol naturally occurs in most plant foods and trees. If you go to Lucky Vitamin, Vita Cost, etc. online, there are several good brands of Xylitol to purchase. I use it cup for cup like sugar.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Personally, I avoid all sweeteners! They don't love me, and create issues I would rather not have to deal with!
    I'm finding that natural sugar doesn't create the issues like sweeteners do for me! Though I avoid it too, it's interesting to see my body's lack of reaction to sugar,versus the artificial stuff!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For weight loss for me when I have any artificial chemical sweetener I then plateau. So none for me. If the recipe needs anything I include stevia and that's all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Personally, I avoid all sweeteners! They don't love me, and create issues I would rather not have to deal with!
    I'm finding that natural sugar doesn't create the issues like sweeteners do for me! Though I avoid it too, it's interesting to see my body's lack of reaction to sugar,versus the artificial stuff!

I just listened to a Ketovangelist podcast a couple days ago that had a guest that talked about having been stalled for a very long time. Like 6 months to a year. She stopped using a water flavoring additive and suddenly weight loss began again at a very good rate. It reminded me of your reaction the sweeteners. The way it was being discussed, that reaction is more common than we realize. Most people just don't notice because, 1.) Stalls in general are expected and we always blame other things and 2.) Most of us don't just stop using artificial sweeteners entirely so we never get to see the difference when not using them.

It was one of these two. I think it was Katrina, the first link, but I'm not sure.
    https://www.ketovangelist.com/episode-27-katrina-harris-loses-145-pounds-through-keto-and-mental-toughness/

https://www.ketovangelist.com/episode-25-mary-roberts-talks-about-achieving-goals-and-overcoming-challenges/
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info! I have been digging and getting highly annoyed that all ingredients are not plainly listed. We should not have to become scientific investigators to find out what is in a new product! Dang. I am diabetic and going gluten free too. I just hoped that in a few months I could whip ip a few cookies with other flours. Ideal has a good rep for baking. It is not something I want to eat daily....but a treat in a couple months would be good. Now I don't like anything I find about it. Sugar is sugar....dechlorinated. ugh, ugh and UGH!!!
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

I also avoid sweeteners. Doesn't matter if they are artificial, natural, or even semi-sweet things. I find that I start looking to fruits and leaves like peppermint or spearmint to replace the sweet taste.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like to mix xylitol (low carb but has calories) with eythritol (low carb and low calorie) and sucralose. The sugar alcohols upset my tummy if I eat too much of them.