Plateaued for Months... Any Advice?

Options
SakuraAlkaid
SakuraAlkaid Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone! I've been a member of this group for probably almost a year now but I haven't really posted much; however, this has really been bothering me lately and I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for a fellow PCOSister. To start off I guess I should say I'm 23 and have been watching my calorie intake for around a year, working down from an original mindset of 2100 calories per day to 1750 as of now, and I've started following a twice weekly Zumba routine for probably...eight months now? I also take all of my prescribed PCOS medication (Metformin, Niacin, Fish Oil) and Synthroid for my hypothyroidism as directed and yet I've found myself in a dreaded plateau. For months.

I've lost a total of ~12 pounds from my start date last year but the scale just will not go down any further. It's like it's stuck, but I've tried several scales so it can't be that simple. Haha. My body has shaped up some since starting the Zumba and I'm very thankful for that, but I want to see more as time goes by and I just don't know what else I could do to help push my body towards the weight loss. I know I have a lot working against me for that but it's sooo frustrating and I don't like the side effects of weight loss drugs like Alli or Phentermine so I'm trying to stray from those but I hate being plateaued for so long too after seeing myself finally get in the right direction.

So enough ranting. I just wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions, or if someone else wanted to share their similar stories (hopefully with happy endings). =] Thank you all in advance for anything you have to offer, and best of luck with your own journeys ladies!! <3

~Alkaid

Replies

• Passionately_Positive
    Options
    Perhaps you need to consider adding a bit more exercise into your weekly routine? Your body might just need to try something different to really see some new results, sometimes our bodies get bored when everything is predictable and no longer challenging. You might need to shock it into submission lol. Whether thats through dietary or a fitness method is up to you lol. I would also take a look at your water and macronutrient intake. I'm no expert but looks like it's time for you to begin experimenting love! xoxo
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how you're eating. Your diary is closed, so I can't make suggestions there. Given that you have PCOS, I would start with dropping all processed foods, all added sugars, reducing fruit intake dramatically, and dropping carbs to a lower than Standard American Diet level (300 - 375 grams of carbs for the average person). (100-150 grams of carbs and lower is MEDICALLY considered low carb).

Adding exercise can cause temporary stalls (monthS long). Are you sleeping enough? Getting enough water? Getting enough sodium? All those things cause weight loss to slow.

Also, you lowered your calories AND added exercise? Sounds like a stalled metabolism... Try upping the calories... Or mixing up what you eat when, your exercise schedule, your sleep schedule, etc. Too many factors without more info.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a history of big stalls with weight-loss on previous regimens, I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. I did Weight Watchers for a 2 years, and had almost 1 year worth of stalls when on it. This time around, I am having better success with what my current doctor recommended, which I've briefly outlined below in case you find it helpful
    • a lower-carb, higher-fat diet (I aim for no more than 70 total grams of carbs a day, but around 50g of "net carbs" once fiber is subtracted. I occasionally flex my total goal up to 100 for days of special events or travel).
    • Trying to omit all grains, potatoes & most dairy with the exception of very rare treats (I eat cheese 1-3 times a week. No milk, ever (but I do use heavy cream in stuff if needed). I eat potato products 1x a month...I choose my potato-treats wisely, and they are small servings :smile: )
    • My doctor wants me to flex between 1500-1800 calories a day, but NOT to go below 1500. I think this is where my missteps were with past diets, my calorie goal would dip into the 1200-1300 range, I'd stick to it, and it would just become one giant stall that never ended, I'd get frustrated & quit. I eat around 1530cal most days, but 2 days a week I flex up to 1800. There's something that triggers in my body when I keep things too-consistent in calorie intake. I also think I'm designed to become super-efficient/not lose when the calorie limit dips too low, like I'm biologically designed to be the sole-survivor of a global famine.
    • I take metformin (1000mg extended-release twice a day), a multi-vitamin, a complex b-vitamin, a b12 supplement, D3 vitamin, & inositol.
    • Strength training is a near-requirement with PCOS--my doctor, who has PCOS herself, couldn't over-stress this more if she tried. Even when I don't get to the gym (which has been a lot lately), I am sure to do push-ups, yoga, planks, etc at home, to help with muscle tone. Lifting weights works the best for me to bust stalls though. She said if I only have time to do cardio vs. lift weights, lift weights.
    • My final note is regarding water. I have a tendency not to lose if I don't drink a TON of water...which seems counter-intuitive. I drink nearly a gallon of water a day, spaced evenly throughout the day. It's annoying to always carry a water bottle, but when I let my water intake lapse, my weightloss tends to lapse.

I hope this helps! Good luck & congratulations on sticking with it even though the scale's not giving you the feedback you want right now.
  • SakuraAlkaid
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice so far everyone. I just thought I'd come back and reply to some of the things I'm hearing and see if any of it might make a difference since I guess I forgot to mention this all in the opening. ^^"

Since starting this whole weight loss/diet thing, I've all but cut sodas from my day and drink them only as an occasional treat. With that said, I drink about three to four bottles of water a day. At least. I've also all but cut potatoes from my diet as well, and limited breads and grains. Pasta and rice tend to be my weak point when it comes to that but I do limit it quite a bit compared to what I used to eat of it. And yes, while some nights don't work out as well as I'd like them to thanks to crazy alternating work hours, I try to sleep at least 6-7 hours a night. Some nights (my weekends off) more than that, although I know that doesn't make up for the nights of less. Haha. =]

ASearch4Me, you mentioned taking B12 and D3. I also take those, the D3 as a 5000 unit capsule daily and the B12 as a monthly injectable. You also mentioned strength training and I forgot to mention this as well it seems (is it obvious I'm not used to being more than a spectator yet? Haha) but with the Zumba class I participate in, we always end the class with a 30 minute toning using kettle bells and other weights, as well as doing planks and the like, to add a strength element to the hour of cardio.

The final thing I forgot to mention before (hopefully anyway) is that my general practicioner has told me before that my ultimate goal for optimal weight loss should be to get down to ~1400 calories a day. I've been working toward that slowly so as not to starve myself and push myself off of the rail that I've been surprisingly follow fairly well since beginning this whole diet a year ago, but I do worry that that may be too low sometimes...?

So it seems the last thing that everyone's mentioning is watching the macronutrients, if that's the proper word? The details of fat per meal, carbs, etcetera... I try to watch that but so far my main goal has just been to watch calories and to stray from high carb items, while trying to add what protein I can to help keep me fuller and make up for the workouts. I suppose that's my next step in this, however: to focus more intently on that. Thank you again, everyone!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my general practicioner has told me before that my ultimate goal for optimal weight loss should be to get down to ~1400 calories a day.

1. How tall are you? And how much do you weigh?
    2. Where did they get that number from?
    So it seems the last thing that everyone's mentioning is watching the macronutrients, if that's the proper word? The details of fat per meal, carbs, etcetera... I try to watch that but so far my main goal has just been to watch calories and to stray from high carb items, while trying to add what protein I can to help keep me fuller and make up for the workouts. I suppose that's my next step in this, however: to focus more intently on that. Thank you again, everyone!

It's almost universal for us that just counting calories doesn't really work us. If you only count calories, you have to drop down to insanely low numbers to see results (at some extremes, we're talking as low as 800 calories a day). For us, quality and type of foods matter so much more, even moreso than for healthy people. Reducing sugars and starches is a good start, but may only be enough to maintain (which, at least for some of us, is a feat unto itself, so it's good to know how you can go about doing so for when you get down to where you want).

As a personal example -- my caloric intake has not changed much over the years that I've been on MFP, but the types of food I eat have changed dramatically. I started out with a pretty standard American diet -- carbs on top of carbs on top of carbs, with a little protein thrown in. It was not uncommon for us to have spaghetti one night and ricotta-stuffed pasta shells the next, after days that consisted primarily of cereal for breakfast and a peanut butter sandwich or box of macaroni and cheese for lunch. I started watching my calories, and found myself famished on 2000 calories and had to fight tooth and nail to stay under it. At first, I increased my protein, but that didn't do much. Then I got my hands on Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint and shortly after dropped all grains and reduced my carbs down to around 100g and increased my protein some more and fat by a fair bit. Finally! Easy portion control! I still wasn't losing weight, though, despite a rather high intensity workout routine. I finally had go almost entirely carnivorous -- meat, eggs, and some dairy -- in order to finally start losing weight. Through the entire time, my calorie goal has been around 2000 (it's 1800 now, since I lost 30lbs from carnivory, which changes intake requirements, but I've been more active as of late, which bumps my available intake back to 2000).

Not everyone has to go to the extreme that I have, but it does serve to illustrate how important it is to get what we eat as dialed in compared to how much we eat.
  • SakuraAlkaid
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    my general practicioner has told me before that my ultimate goal for optimal weight loss should be to get down to ~1400 calories a day.

1. How tall are you? And how much do you weigh?
    2. Where did they get that number from?

It's almost universal for us that just counting calories doesn't really work us. If you only count calories, you have to drop down to insanely low numbers to see results (at some extremes, we're talking as low as 800 calories a day). For us, quality and type of foods matter so much more, even moreso than for healthy people. Reducing sugars and starches is a good start, but may only be enough to maintain (which, at least for some of us, is a feat unto itself, so it's good to know how you can go about doing so for when you get down to where you want).

As a personal example -- my caloric intake has not changed much over the years that I've been on MFP, but the types of food I eat have changed dramatically. I started out with a pretty standard American diet -- carbs on top of carbs on top of carbs, with a little protein thrown in. It was not uncommon for us to have spaghetti one night and ricotta-stuffed pasta shells the next, after days that consisted primarily of cereal for breakfast and a peanut butter sandwich or box of macaroni and cheese for lunch. I started watching my calories, and found myself famished on 2000 calories and had to fight tooth and nail to stay under it. At first, I increased my protein, but that didn't do much. Then I got my hands on Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint and shortly after dropped all grains and reduced my carbs down to around 100g and increased my protein some more and fat by a fair bit. Finally! Easy portion control! I still wasn't losing weight, though, despite a rather high intensity workout routine. I finally had go almost entirely carnivorous -- meat, eggs, and some dairy -- in order to finally start losing weight. Through the entire time, my calorie goal has been around 2000 (it's 1800 now, since I lost 30lbs from carnivory, which changes intake requirements, but I've been more active as of late, which bumps my available intake back to 2000).

Not everyone has to go to the extreme that I have, but it does serve to illustrate how important it is to get what we eat as dialed in compared to how much we eat.

I'm 5'2" and as of the scale a few minutes ago, 192.8 lbs. I've been teeter-tottering between ~192 and 196 for awhile now though after starting out at 214. I'm very pear shaped however with my main problem area being a pouch area at my tummy and my upper thighs being bigger but mostly muscle.

I have an appointment with my GP later this month. Perhaps I'll have her take a look into my past blood work and such and see if she can recommend a proper goal for me as far as fats versus proteins versus carbs, etcetera. It seems like that's my missing piece in this crazy PCOS puzzle. Haha. Thank you, Dragonwolf, for the detailed explanation. I'll check into that book as well after I talk to my GP and hopefully the scale will get moving again soon! *crosses fingers* ^-^
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others said... Your macros are important for pcos. Watch your carb intake and up the protein. May I even suggest carb cycling? It keeps your body guessing and can help with plateau. Someone else mentioned eating more some days so this makes sense to make a higher carb day when you need the energy for workouts. If you need a new workout to shake things up I have a cross fit at home workout schedule that I follow and it's awesome! http://simplysadiejane.com/2014/01/week-2-6-week-at-home-crossfit-inspired-workouts.html
  • sunlight_through_trees
    Options
    Hi Sakura, I also have PCOS and hypothyroid (mine is Hashimotos - is yours?), am on metformin and synthroid aswell, and also experienced a major plateau after a 45 lb weight loss. The plateau lasted about 4 months and was really frustraing. There are some really good tips and advice here (that I will be using myself, thanks ladies!) But I just want to add, watch your thyroid....I couldn't understand why I had plateaued but it turned out my thyroid as was about to flare-up/collapse again! And then I suddenly gained 15 pounds!!! I thought that taking the synthroid, watching calories and exercising was enough....but actually things like stress, getting proper sleep, eating enough, nutrient deficiencies like selenium, zinc, magnesium and iron really effect thyroid health. I have learned through trial and error that when my thyroid is a little bit off, I just hold onto weight, and I think the plateau was the first sign of that. This may not be the case for you but just wanted to share that in case!! Get some labs done and check your numbers for any changes. I am about to start the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol to try and tackle my Hashimotos....hopefully it works!! And I hope that you solve your plateau puzzle!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Sakura, I also have PCOS and hypothyroid (mine is Hashimotos - is yours?), am on metformin and synthroid aswell, and also experienced a major plateau after a 45 lb weight loss. The plateau lasted about 4 months and was really frustraing. There are some really good tips and advice here (that I will be using myself, thanks ladies!) But I just want to add, watch your thyroid....I couldn't understand why I had plateaued but it turned out my thyroid as was about to flare-up/collapse again! And then I suddenly gained 15 pounds!!! I thought that taking the synthroid, watching calories and exercising was enough....but actually things like stress, getting proper sleep, eating enough, nutrient deficiencies like selenium, zinc, magnesium and iron really effect thyroid health. I have learned through trial and error that when my thyroid is a little bit off, I just hold onto weight, and I think the plateau was the first sign of that. This may not be the case for you but just wanted to share that in case!! Get some labs done and check your numbers for any changes. I am about to start the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol to try and tackle my Hashimotos....hopefully it works!! And I hope that you solve your plateau puzzle!

Also, they say that that for each 10% of your total weight lost that you should focus on maintaining only for 4-6 months, so as to reset your body's new normal, and to give your metabolism a break from being in "weight loss" mode for extended periods of time. Also, remember, that if you can maintain at this level, maintenance later will be much simpler, too...

And thyroid troubles are hell. Hugs to all who suffer. Something I found out recently, too, is that if you start to swell/retain water out of nowhere, it's a major indicator that your thyroid levels are off. Apparently, most swelling stuff is thyroid related. It doesn't become heart related until thyroid levels have been off for long periods (certain heart conditions, excepting)...