Thought I'd say hi.

Options
Hi everybody. Well I'm new(ish) here I guess so I thought I'd introduce myself. In pounds I'm starting at 494 :/ . My weight story is more of a saga but really can be summarised by 'I've been big all my life, and I hate it. I REALLY really hate it. As much as I really REALLY love food' I have lost a lot of weight twice in my life but gained it all back and some. Although not a lot of people believe in food addiction, I feel like I really am addicted to food, carbs more specifically. If the definition of addiction is doing an activity or consuming something that you absolutely know is killing you but feeling powerless to stop it, then yeah, that would be me with food.

So this time I'm taking a different approach. I low carb it because it suits my body much better than low fat (also, you can substitute sugar, but you can't substitute fat). But this time I am going to follow others that have been successful in keeping a food diary and coming here, reaching out to others in the same boat and hoping we can support each other in a sort of non judgy, compassionate way. Ultimately I am trying to change my eating, thinking, activity, anxiety so this is an entire life change and not just another 'diet', but a life long endeavour to be the healthiest me I can be. So feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I should warn that as an Australian it is my duty to swear like a trooper (its in our constitution right next to having to play silly buggers whenever possible) :p .

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!!! My nephew leaves Sunday for Australia, going to school . I'm 65, married 41 years n have 195 to lose. Need new knees but have to take off pounds first. Have done ED rehab, still have groups. We all have the same story!! Friend me if you like!! Walk the journey together!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • dksmith20110
    dksmith20110 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This group is not the most active, but I have met some great people here that are all in the same place or at least started there. I have been doing this since April of last year starting at just a little under 387 lbs and now have lost over 113 lbs of it. For me the reality that I would likely not live much longer on the path I was going finally was what made me change direction. And logging and sharing on MFP has been a literal life saver along with support from my doctors and trusted friends who are not enablers and not judgemental. I wish the best for you and will send you a friend request.