tv shows

Options
anyone watch my 600# life or worlds fattest man or anyother shows was it a factor in your decision

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I actually avoided all of those shows on purpose. I find them to be similar to "freakshows". They make me uncomfortable. I also HATE Tyler Perry for making an empire based on the purchase of a "fat suit". That being said, a lot of my family watched My 600lb Life as a way to learn and understand what I was going through. From that standpoint, the shows were very helpful to them, and I really appreciate the cast for opening up their private lives!!
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do watch. I wish they would follow more "mainstream" cases. It does seem like they set these folks up to fail.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have watched some of them. Some seem to be more realistic than others. It was not a decision for my surgery but I can see where it may help some on their path to WLS.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of food shows now with healthy recipies now
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Ok...I had an epiphany and need to make a confession. Today I caught myself watching My 600lb life. Perhaps the reason that I despised this show so much was because of how it makes me accept that I could be on that show. I started out at 417lbs. I have issues with emotional eating. I spent a lifetime making excuses and placing blame. I hated the show because it made me accept that I am no different. Ohhhh I still hate my big fat fabulous life. Lol
  • tugsandpulls
    Options
    i dont like her show either
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't like how they exploit the people involved and I think they are scripted - jmo, I would LOVE to see a show where they follow someone who is really working it and successful, I guess maybe I haven't watched enough episodes? Maybe from a nurses perspective and how they get involved in helping transform and follow a few cases - IDK...LOL, but I think you're onto something Angie as someone who five years ago was 387 I don't like Big Fat Fabulous Life that was me making every excuse why I loved myself and unhealthy was okay blah blah blah...I have PCOS too, I hope she finds health <3
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I remember how my fat friends and I were so totally against WLS and we'd talk about how bad and dangerous it was and how we would NEVER do that! 15 years later several of those friends are dead from weight related issues, a couple more in wheelchairs/ scooters, and have diabetes... Two with congestive heart failure. My friends are dying in their 40s and 50s. Is it a victory to die in your early 60s? (One was on My 600 lb life) So now we are not close. Only 2 are Facebook friends. They don't know about the surgery. But one said "Are you done with this weight loss thing yet?!" as she sat in her scooter, right before her husband had to pick her legs up to get her in the SUV, because they are too large for her to lift them. This is when you remind yourself that just because you've known them 25 years it doesn't make them a close friend. So no, I can't watch those shows without feeling sad and relieved that I chose a different path when I weighed 400 lbs.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I actually never saw My 600lb Life until after I had surgery. The show does follow their stories for a length of time, but of course they aren't going to show the day to day stuff, that doesn't get ratings! When I watched it, sometimes I would recognize in the subjects some of my habits, thought processes, etc. I can really empathize with some of these people. Others, I want to smack them for not "getting" it, you know?

As for My Big Fat Fabulous Life - I've only seen bits and pieces of a few episodes, but oh boy, that chick... I'm sorry but I am not buying that she loves herself just the way she is and that her life is so fabulous. I think a lot of us know what it's like to put on that happy face, that front, when deep inside we feel stuck and pretty miserable. I think the whole "fat acceptance" movement is pretty dangerous, mainly for the health aspects. I know some women who are extremely obese who claim to be healthy, and sure, when you are 30 and obese you might be squeaking by, but your body can only take so much. That's what made me choose to have surgery, I wanted to be healthy. I wish I would have done it at 30 and not 50 though!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I actually never saw My 600lb Life until after I had surgery. The show does follow their stories for a length of time, but of course they aren't going to show the day to day stuff, that doesn't get ratings! When I watched it, sometimes I would recognize in the subjects some of my habits, thought processes, etc. I can really empathize with some of these people. Others, I want to smack them for not "getting" it, you know?

As for My Big Fat Fabulous Life - I've only seen bits and pieces of a few episodes, but oh boy, that chick... I'm sorry but I am not buying that she loves herself just the way she is and that her life is so fabulous. I think a lot of us know what it's like to put on that happy face, that front, when deep inside we feel stuck and pretty miserable. I think the whole "fat acceptance" movement is pretty dangerous, mainly for the health aspects. I know some women who are extremely obese who claim to be healthy, and sure, when you are 30 and obese you might be squeaking by, but your body can only take so much. That's what made me choose to have surgery, I wanted to be healthy. I wish I would have done it at 30 and not 50 though!

I echo a lot of your thoughts. I watched the entire 600-pound life series over a few weeks (post my surgery) and I thought it was a complete chameleon of a show. It would reinforce pretty much whatever you thought coming into watching it. If you thought the surgery was a bad idea, there were plenty of stories that had people looking for the easy way out and not making the life changes necessary. If you were working the plan and succeeding, you could see the positive power of the surgery for those who made it work. My main complaint is that it was almost completely focused on the last-chance patients, over 600 pounds and almost completely immobile and homebound.

My story was similar to what I see in the future for the "happy" Fat folks. I was making do at 400+ pounds. Staying athletic, successful in career and family. There was a deeper sadness, though, and I knew I was heading in a bad way. When my physical abilities started to decline in my 40's (primarily due to hip arthritis rearing its ugly head), the future all of a sudden looked very bleak if I didn't do something drastic. In all honesty, though, having that impetus contributed to my early success, as a switch was flipped and I jumped into the program with both feet.

I think the tv shows are valuable for those who are looking to see what goes on with WLS, but it certainly is not a full picture of the process or the impact on lives.

Rob
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My husband and I watched that a few times before the procedure, and the one thing that he pointed out was that it seemed like in some cases, there was not a very good support structure from the family or that they seemed to also be enabling the individual after the procedure. For instance, my hubby does not go and get things to eat in front of me, because he can and I can't. I saw on one of the shows where the husband went to the drive thru as he was taking her home from the hospital and ordered all this stuff and was like teasing her that she couldn't have it. My hubby would be walking home if he did crap like that. (okay maybe not, but I would not be a happy camper) I am a firm believer in the support from others.

Was it one of the deciding factors? No, because I had trouble relating to all that they went thru. I was 300 at my top, not 600. However, watching it, I do find myself going hey you, you shouldn't drink pop yet! She even talks about how she wasn't supposed to have it, but she does anyways. You, don't eat that, not yet, not on the program. Then again, I don't know what dietary restrictions they have either.

Um, the MBFFL just annoys me. I don't know, just can't seem to get into the show.
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Sooooo...anyone watch "skin tight" tonight? I love it!!!!! I think that this will totally help me to prepare and know a little of what to expect from my body as I lose weight. I even watched "my 600lb life" and love the lady on the show this week.
  • joysie1970
    Options
    I can't believe I missed skin tight! I even set a reminder...dang it! Hoping I can catch it soon!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    While I have seen My 600 Pound Life, I have mostly been disgusted by it. I feel pity for the people going into it who don't seem to have a "handle" on what they need to do nutritionally and most just really aren't emotionally prepared for what is ahead. Very few I have seen have been really successful and made a new, "real" life for themselves. Sadly, I see a lot of that in real life too. As far as other shows such as cooking shows I do like them, but I am 3 years post op and I am able to watch recipes and tweak them to make them lighter, healthier. Now The Biggest Loser often bothers me because I have heard about what the contestants have endured in the past--dehydration prior to weigh ins, etc. I am excited for anyone who wants to improve their lives and it seems that The Biggest Loser is finally trying to move toward the emotional reasons behind the weight gains for the contestants. My hope is that people who do watch these shows, instead of seeing everything as a "quick fix" gets out them what they should--that weight loss is hard, doesn't happen over night, and is a lifetime change, a life style change. Also, it's not about being a size 6 (for us women), but about being healthy and happy with who we are.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I watched both last night as well. Skin tight was scary to me. I am glad I don't have the extent of extra skin that the guy had, but I definitely see the same pattern of where we have it. Gave me renewed emphasis on keeping toned as I am sure what I have will be more noticeable if I continue to avoid the gym :|
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Well said Annwyatt69! I too dislike my 600lb life I think they choose to highlight cases they can exploit, it saddens me :( I don't think the people are ready emotionally, mentally or physically....and I agree there are many in real life with the same battle. We need real life advocates who show the "REAL" side of WLS, it's work - harder than any other weight loss plan of my life - there are no days off, no cheat Sundays, no bites here or there...this is real life if you want to succeed, your own body feels like a traitor somedays when you are doing everything right...#thatstherealtruth But I am happier and healthier than ever and wouldn't trade it for anything :)
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One thing that I noticed on Skin Tight was that I felt that there was some regret that they displayed. Like, if I had known that I would have all of this left over, I am not feeling more miserable than I was before. But, I love that they are now showing the other side, the afterwards.

Now, as far as the 600, I have been watching it, more now as a reminder of what I need to do to not ever go back again. I was never near 600, but at 300 I was pretty out of control myself. It is an alarm to me to keep working my program, because just remember where I have been and where I am going. Not sure if that makes sense there.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I watched a lot of 600lb Life right before I made the decision to look into surgery. That show and a show called Fat Doctor (BBC show I believe), both about weight loss surgery, is where I first really started learning what it was all about.

Obviously now that I'm about 6 months into the process I realize those shows aren't a representation of most weight loss surgery patients. But I still watch them here and there as a reminder of where I was likely to get to one day if I didn't do something about my eating habits.
  • tugsandpulls
    Options
    I think skintight is dumb now
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    gdnplnty wrote: »
    One thing that I noticed on Skin Tight was that I felt that there was some regret that they displayed. Like, if I had known that I would have all of this left over, I am not feeling more miserable than I was before. But, I love that they are now showing the other side, the afterwards.

Now, as far as the 600, I have been watching it, more now as a reminder of what I need to do to not ever go back again. I was never near 600, but at 300 I was pretty out of control myself. It is an alarm to me to keep working my program, because just remember where I have been and where I am going. Not sure if that makes sense there.

Pretty much how I feel. I did not watch a full episode of Skin Tight but I found it to be a little more interesting. Not sure if I will go down that road in the future. It did give me some information that I did not know like the varicose veins making surgery more difficult and the nipple removal and reattachment with the man. I will try to catch a full episode.