Bad breath

Options
AshleyC1023
AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
I think this is more embarrassing than talking about poop, but over the last couple of days I've noticed my breath is pretty nasty. I can taste it, so I imagine it's noticeable. My dental hygiene is good, actually better than 2 brushings and flossing a day now that I noticed this. I go to the dentist regularly, no bad teeth that haven't been fixed and nothing hurts. I brush after everything I eat, and sugar free gum masks it well enough but I can't chew gum 24/7. I'm drinking a lot of water also. I briefly read that low carb diets can cause bad breath, but do I need to be concerned this is permanent?
It's not enough to deter me, but my husband will be home the first week of February and I don't want him to come home to kiss me with nasty breath.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I think this is more embarrassing than talking about poop, but over the last couple of days I've noticed my breath is pretty nasty. I can taste it, so I imagine it's noticeable. My dental hygiene is good, actually better than 2 brushings and flossing a day now that I noticed this. I go to the dentist regularly, no bad teeth that haven't been fixed and nothing hurts. I brush after everything I eat, and sugar free gum masks it well enough but I can't chew gum 24/7. I'm drinking a lot of water also. I briefly read that low carb diets can cause bad breath, but do I need to be concerned this is permanent?
    It's not enough to deter me, but my husband will be home the first week of February and I don't want him to come home to kiss me with nasty breath.

Most find it temporary. Once someone is adapted, it tends to go away. It usually takes about 4-6 weeks, depending on the person to be fully adapted. So if you're still competing with dragon breath just brush and use mouthwash more often. Or use the gum. Hubby made fun of me quite a bit when I had keto-breath, but he liked the other side effects, fat melting off, a lot so he didn't care. He just likes to make fun of me, period.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Keto-breath (acetone) is described as "fruity."

Protein-breath (ammonia) is described as "nasty!"

The primary change with "keto-adaptation" is a reduction in protein burning, so it gets better. I also had ammonia sweat during exercise in the beginning.
  • baconslave
    edited January 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

The primary change with "keto-adaptation" is a reduction in protein burning, so it gets better. I also had ammonia sweat during exercise in the beginning.

Yeah that too.
    Whenever I was working out, DH would come in the room and say "It smells like ketosis in here." And smirk.
    Armpits can kill. LOL!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    [quote="
    Whenever I was working out, DH would come in the room and say "It smells like ketosis in here."

LOL
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    I noticed that too, that my sweat smelled stronger. Double up on the deodorant for sure. Even my gym clotehs smell like it
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yep I have the ketone breath and the ketone sweat sometimes. I find it to be a sickly sweet smell that is none too pleasant. The first month was horrible, now it only happens occasionally thank goodness.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I did keto for a little over a week (i'm low carb now), I loved everything about it except for the breath! My husband wouldn't come within 10 feet of me, every time I spoke to him i held my hand over my mouth, mints didn't even cover it 100%. There was no kissing and he made sure to stay at the farthest side of the bed lol. I was an embarrassed mess by the end, as I have never had this problem before.

If it wasn't for him I would have plugged on through and hope it would eventually have gone..
    I am so annoyed, and am even a little resentful toward him for pressuring me to stop!

If you want to know what your breath smells like, lick the back of your hand and smell it after a couple seconds. I'm mortified to say this, but mine smelled like poop :confounded:

My breath went back to normal, after a day and half of upping my carbs.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    I just pre-warned my husband last night on the phone. His response "you kissed me while I still smoked so how can I complain if your breath is bad" - very valid point.

Licking the back of my hand didn't make any noticeable offensive smell. I can totally taste it though and it's very "rotten bacteria" smell. I read on reddit last night from someone claiming to be a dentist that the lack of sugar and carbs can kill bacteria in your mouth (the kind that helps rot your teeth) so maybe that's part of it. It seems to be getting better with more mouthwash and 4-5 brushings a day. I've always been an avid flosser since I have a crown that they left a bit much of a gap in and it tends to collect meat, so I'm constantly picking that out.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's a very rare thing for this not to go away with time. Hang in there!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The low carb can cause extremely dry mouth. Dry mouth..... Gum tends to help
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    Definitely have the "cotton mouth", bad enough to wake up in the middle of the night and drink more water. The death breath seems to come and go, today has been bad with it, probably because I fell asleep really early last night without brushing my teeth - definitely not intentionally.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm months and months in and still have this. I usually keep my protein around 70-80g, maybe I'm a smidge too high but it is awful. I suck sugar free mints all day and swish mouthwash at least once. I train people at my desk all day and am horribly self conscious about it, I hear you! Hubby says I'm overreacting, but I can FEEL IT.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

I knew it!

I'm NOT crazy! I had ammonia sweat in the beginning and I thought I was going crazy!
  • AshleyC1023
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Today was probably the worst breath day for me yet. I felt bad talking to anyone. Going to the dentist tomorrow for a cleaning just to double check that it's not my teeth or something. This is just nasty, and I loaded up on new mouthwash.

Also noticed at the gym today that I don't even smell sweaty, I smell just gross.
  • baconslave
    Options
    This is terribly embarrassing (and also pissed me off :rage: ) but I had to stop regular antiperspirant and just use a deodorant as a crazy chemical reaction with my sweat occurred and turned the armpits of my new pack of white t-shirts a nasty yellow. So. Mad.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Today was probably the worst breath day for me yet. I felt bad talking to anyone. Going to the dentist tomorrow for a cleaning just to double check that it's not my teeth or something. This is just nasty, and I loaded up on new mouthwash.

Also noticed at the gym today that I don't even smell sweaty, I smell just gross.

I totally get where you're coming from .I talked out the side of my mouth when I went shopping, or I didn't talk to the sales assistants at all, just smiled lol People with bad breath are really off putting, and I couldn't stand being one of them :flushed:

I hope and pray that it goes away for you soon. There's another recent post on here with a poster complaining of bad breath which was still there months into keto.. Reducing your protein seems to be the general advice, if it persists.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    This is terribly embarrassing (and also pissed me off :rage: ) but I had to stop regular antiperspirant and just use a deodorant as a crazy chemical reaction with my sweat occurred and turned the armpits of my new pack of white t-shirts a nasty yellow. So. Mad.

Have you tried clinical strength? It's more expensive, and I've never tried it so I can't speak from experience, but there must be a reason it's stronger.

Christine - I seriously wanted to just go brush my teeth. My daughters teacher didn't seem to notice because she's chatty and gets close, and didn't back away like "OMG" lol