Cycles??

Options
i don't know what it is for two weeks I have been doing great! Coffee in the mornings and a small supper with family. No cravings or hunger pains excellent results. However for the past 3 days I've been hungry and craving things! Not sure if it's hormones or monthly cycle or what it is!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? It's ok if you don't want to but it might be helpful in figuring out what's going on. Some common things to look at, are you getting enough fat, calories, sodium, protein?

Even doing everything right you will have days of very little hunger and days you want to eat everything. I was amazed how much sodium helped when I felt starved. While you are adapting many recommend eating fat till satiety.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Assuming it's not something you're eating that's triggering (sweeteners have been known to do that, too, btw), it's no uncommon for this way of eating to change women's hormones and what happens during certain parts of the cycle. If they're too unbearable, there are a few PCOS sites that offer dietary plans that take the cyclical nature of our hormones into account and try to optimize for them. Even if you don't have PCOS, it's probably worth a look and useful as a template.

I found a few things changed when I went LCHF, and especially when I dropped my carbs way down:

1. I actually got a period! This is huge, because I have PCOS and have had amenorrhea for close to a decade.
    2. My period is now almost like clockwork. December seems to be a "skip month" for me (two years in a row, I didn't have one in December). I highly suspect it's due to the stress and the fact that I'm least likely to eat as well as I should.
    3. I got PMS symptoms. I actually suspect it would qualify as PMDD, but I have a lot more noticeable symptoms of PMS now. Namely, the cravings and some gnarly depression. It sucks, but I highly suspect it's due to the re-balancing of hormones and will likely pass once they level out. I used to have regular periods before my first pregnancy, and have very little PMS, so I know I was at least at one point in time capable of it. It's just a matter of seeing if I can get back to that. I just got my Mirena removed, so that might help me, too.

For a lot of women, this seems to be a temporary thing. Things level back out once you've been low carb for a few months. That first month or two can be rocky, though. Just do the best you can and try to stick to it, and you'll be good.
  • HFlippin2015
    HFlippin2015 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb since August and before that I was pregnant and before that I was low carb for about 2 years. But things just seem to effect me different now. My taste has drastically changed. Idk it is weird a year ago i literally ate nothing green and I mean nothing! Now I'm all about salad and spinach and avocados. Crazy. I can tell my emotions are running wild too. I'm not usually an emotional person.

I did open my diary...
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I find my hunger is cyclical as well, and I don't only mean based on where I'm at in my monthly cycle (although the hunger monster is at its unusually insatiable peak during PMS week). There are days I'll eat very little, but then the next day or a couple days later I'll want to eat almost constantly. I figure it all balances out in the end.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My hunger and cravings go through the roof during TOM.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My cycle is finally (seems to be) under control. I am back to a regular 28 day cycle. I am having less PMS symptoms, less sweet cravings, the hormone rage monster seems to be on a firmly controlled leash and my monthly migraines are now nothing more than a twitch the past two cycles. Bloating now is also minimal and I have actually manged to lose a pound while on TOM this time. Usually I gain 5 in bloat. Now I crave fat during my TOM and good news is I can feed the fat monster.

Anywho, back to the original question, My hunger does seem to be TOM cycle related mostly. I do have the occasional day here and there where all I want to do is eat and I am ok with that because the next few days I may eat a lot less so it works out in the end. But it is nothing I can put a finger on the definite cause. Some days I am just hungrier than others. I am still losing, I feel good, so I am happy.
  • HFlippin2015
    HFlippin2015 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Today has been much better hopefully I'm back on track.. Not looking forward to it next month.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I definitely have more intense hunger days, too ... and other days I'm not that hungry and don't meet my calorie goal. I haven't linked it with cycle yet but I've only been on this WOE for 10 weeks and my cycles have been weird so a pattern hasn't really emerged yet.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to keep easy to reach for, LCHF, foods available. I may go over, a bit on a real hungry day, but never with carbage! We get used to not being hungry very quickly that it's almost foreign (read scary!) to feel it again! It's just for the few days, then the rest of the month of not being hungry seems to even things out!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Not to make light of things but, that is the one and only thing that's good about getting old-no more periods!!!LOL!!! I wish I would have found this WOE when I did have them. I think it would have helped the symptoms.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @HFlippin2015, you will be better prepared for it next month though, since you will expect it! :smiley:

@fatchimom, I agree! And wish I would have found this woe years ago too!
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    fatchimom wrote: »
    Not to make light of things but, that is the one and only thing that's good about getting old-no more periods!!!LOL!!! I wish I would have found this WOE when I did have them. I think it would have helped the symptoms.

^ I wish I had that to look forward to. My mom and grandmother didn't hit menopause until their early 60's. For some reason, the idea that this bs will stop in 30 years is not comforting! Grandma said my great grandmother was the same way. I guess g-grandma went to the doctor (at around 62) because her period stopped. Her doctor said "Don't you think it's about time?". :)