Low thyroid and weight loss

Options
I want know has anyone lost weight with a low thyroid and eating a LC diet? If you did how much and how long??

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with it and have been on LCHF for a lost 3 months and lost 26lb so far, I range on more lax weeks 1.8 lbs to more stricken weeks 2.8. Good luck!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    hypothyroid and old and still lost on LCHF. I'm down around 22 lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In the last 5 months I've lost 35-40 lbs doing a ketogenic diet. I'm on an almost full replacement dose of natural desiccated thyroid.

To be honest though, about 5 years ago when I was still untreated and undiagnosed, I lost the same in about the same time frame following Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. In hind sight, it was pretty low carb too; I would guess ~100g of carbs on most days.... I just had less energy doing it back then. ;)

It can be done. :) good luck.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No thyroid here anymore and LC has helped me to lose 42 lbs. so far. It's not always easy, nor is it as fast as I'd like it to be...but it's something I know I have to do.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

To be honest though, about 5 years ago when I was still untreated and undiagnosed, I lost the same in about the same time frame following Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. In hind sight, it was pretty low carb too; I would guess ~100g of carbs on most days.... I just had less energy doing it back then. ;)

It can be done. :) good luck.

My experience with my thyroid is similar to yours. I enjoy life a lot more with thyroid medication.

• nhernandez22
    nhernandez22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, really hard to lose weight.....
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I want know has anyone lost weight with a low thyroid and eating a LC diet? If you did how much and how long??

Diagnosed 10/2 with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common form of hypothyroidism). Lost 20 lbs since then eating under 50 net carbs a day. My first post-diagnosis check-up tomorrow.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs from July 2003 to July 2004 with untreated hypothyroidism. LC worked great for me then. I've managed to keep it off for these 11-12 years with modified LC, and exercise. But I can't seem to really drop down much lower on LC alone. Working on calorie restriction hasn't really worked well either. Not giving up, but my experience with LC and hypothyroidism has been a definite success, but not all the way to "goal" weight, but close :).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, as I recall, has hypothyroid, along with a few other complications, and has been quite successful. Hopefully, she'll chime in with her story. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and take synthroid daily. I think my under active thyroid makes it more difficult to lose weight, but eating LCHF makes it much easier. I have lost 103 pounds total , 63 of them over a 14 month period, slowly but surely. Maybe this slow rate of weight loss will ensure that I don't put it back on. I want to lose another 30 to 40 pounds. I should say that I lost the first 40 pounds eating paleo, then started cutting carbs more in the fall of 2014, but saw much faster weight loss when I went Keto 9 months ago.

It can be done! I have much better energy levels and I feel great. It sure feels like my metabolism is changing with this woe.
  • nhernandez22
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I have hypothyroidism and take synthroid daily. I think my under active thyroid makes it more difficult to lose weight, but eating LCHF makes it much easier. I have lost 103 pounds total , 63 of them over a 14 month period, slowly but surely. Maybe this slow rate of weight loss will ensure that I don't put it back on. I want to lose another 30 to 40 pounds. I should say that I lost the first 40 pounds eating paleo, then started cutting carbs more in the fall of 2014, but saw much faster weight loss when I went Keto 9 months ago.

It can be done! I have much better energy levels and I feel great. It sure feels like my metabolism is changing with this woe.

How many carbs a day to eat and do you count your calories?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I aim for under 20 g daily carbs, but find I am comfortable anywhere between 0 and about 40 g. I do count calories and aim for about 1300 daily. I do love fasting and will do weekly fasts of 48 to 72 hours. When I end my fast I find I usually eat a higher carb level, maybe in the 30's g carbs or so. I must admit that with the fasting, I don't worry about the carbs as much. I can eat a bit more carbs either before or after a fast, but will always be choosy about the kind of carbs I eat. No gluten, or fake foods. If eating my one meal per day regime, Ivstick closer to the 20 g range carbs. If weight loss stalls, I watch calories and carbs much more diligently.
  • nhernandez22
    Options
    Thank you for the information...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss, as I recall, has hypothyroid, along with a few other complications, and has been quite successful. Hopefully, she'll chime in with her story. :)

Sorry for missing this! I got off track with posts without internet over both holidays. I am Insulin Resistant, have PCOS, hypothyroidism, pelvic organ prolapse, and all kinds of other mess that's too long to list.

While my net weight loss is less than impressive, I lost 3 pants sizes last year. I went off low carbing over the various holidays, and I'm getting my body back on track.

Every blood marker I've had tracked showed improvement during this time. My most recent appointment, my levothyroxine had to be increased, but almost instantly I could tell the difference (supposed to take 4-6 weeks). In all this time, I've learned more about my body and myself than ever before.

And more than weight, I've gained so much other things. I've stopped the postprandial somnolence I was having with every meal, which got me out of a write-up/about-to-be-fired situation at work. I have more energy, less joint pain, more mental clarity, and just feel more like me.

My losses have been like a roller coaster right, but I learned a ton. I expect this year to be another grand adventure! My total numbers may be lower, but my doctor has repeatedly told me how proud she is that I've maintained a 60+ pound loss for 3 years now, that I'm cutting my body fat in crazy amounts, and that I'm increasing my health markers. She said most folks would have given up by now, but I have found reserves of strength and determination I never knew existed once I gave on my the Motivation Myth...

Good luck, don't give up, get your testing done regularly, read/learn everything you can about your condition(s), tweak as needed, and just keep trying. Your body will catch up eventually!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I take synthroid and cytomel and eat low carb. I also workout 6 days a week. I am losing very slowly but the pounds are coming off.
  • HFlippin2015
    HFlippin2015 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid and as long as I really follow low carb strict I've been able to loose weight so far.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    I have low thyroid and have lost 70 pounds now. It has been a little over a year since I started LCHF. I am Very LC under 5 a day. you just can never cheat or you are just cheating your self.
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am hypothyroid, and on 50mcg levothyroxine per day. Started Keto Sept 14th 2015, and was 219 lbs. Its now January 15th, 2016...so 4 months later and I have lost 27 lbs. Its a slow process...but its working :) Still like 6 lbs a month averaged out so I cannot complain too much about that!! I have to watch my cals and my carbs or my weight won't budge but up.

58 lbs to go...

My next doctor appt is in the beginning of March, so hopefully I can lose a few more to show off to my dr :)