Yoga toning

Options
Hi all! I'm just beginning to get into yoga and read an article arguing that yoga could potentially be used in place of strength training for toning and strength development. Anybody have experience/insight on this?

Replies

• bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you have a vigorous practice it builds strength and tone. I suspect that other methods could get you there faster. But I know I am much stronger now than before I started.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I think so, depending on how you practice.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm not good at sticking with fitness so right now I'm doing easy routines just to try to build the habit. After that I want to incorporate more a strength based yoga practice.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    absolutely, it can be strength training. depending on what sort of yoga you are doing. Yin or restorative maybe not so much.
    When i teach, we do planks series and boat series.
    you can try power yoga which is more strength focused.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think you could get faster results with free weights but some forms of yoga practice definitely build strength. Power yoga and vigorous flow get your muscles burning!
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I strength train and do yoga and I find it's a nice compliment and works muscles that I miss in traditional strength training. I also find the strength training helps me with the strength components of yoga. For me personally I wouldn't be happy doing one or the other, I need both. I think as others have mentioned certain types of yoga are more conducive to building strength. Really if yoga is going to be what gets you doing strength work then that's probably the best for you. A program that you enjoy and stick with is the best program.