Fighting the weight yo-yo at 50

Options
lbenson49
lbenson49 Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I turned 50 last July and I'm the mother of 2 boys: 14, and 16. The boys are super active and my husband and I are trying to keep up at this point. We ski, hike, bike, run a bit, and take lots of dog walks. My weight has been yo-yoing for years. I lose 10-15 and gain it back within 2 years. I want to hit my goal weight (which will put me solidly in a size 6) and STAY THERE! I realize I need to learn how to eat off the diet. I also need to fit exercise more regularly in my life as a full time working mom. I have a trainer twice a week for 45 min., and now that it is winter, my weekend runs have come to a crashing halt.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, either you are going through it now, or have cycled through the same ups and downs, I would love to hear from you.

Replies

• Bobbibooth
    Bobbibooth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to lose the last 3lbs ...providing tough but want to go to St Lucia in june and wear a bikini!!!
  • linneamccain
    linneamccain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. I started an exercise program and gained 10 pounds! People keep telling me it's muscle but my jeans tell me not so much. I'm trying to lose 30 pounds which (I think) would put me in a very tight size 6 and a comfortable 8. I'm in a tight 10 now, but a 12 is too big (I'm 5'8"). So this year, I started a new diet with a registered dietitian. I have cut out all commercially processed foods, white flour and white rice. I also (on the advice of my dietitian), cut my calories a bit more. She said I may have a slower metabolism which is why I have so much trouble losing. We'll see.
  • linneamccain
    linneamccain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh - exercise. So right now I'm doing boot camp 3 days a week. Training for the Disney Princess Glass Slipper Challenge in February so I run (well....mostly walk fast) 3-4 days a week. 3 miles on T/Th, then 6 on Sat and this week 12.5 on Sunday. I have asthma so like you, winter makes it hard to run so I run on a treadmill with a 1% incline (which Runner's World says is most comparable to running outside).
  • novo24
    novo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi:) We are very similar- I am 51 and have two teen boys as well :) I have totally yoyo'd 20 lbs over and over. I find that eating high protein, lower crappy carbs (vs good carbs) helps me stay full and satisfied. And NOT restricting any food (i.e. sugar) helps me-- but too much sends me over the edge. I think when you find your stride after trying different ways of eating-- maybe changing one thing at a time-- you'll be able to get it. Still working on it here... LOL...:)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! The last 6 or so for the last two years. What I have found that helped and kept me at goal weight (until i slacked) was heavy heavy lifting. Maybe six reps max of each exercise. Didn't bulk. Trimmed down, looser clothes, visible muscle tone, goal weight reached. Just bought kettle bells, heavy Dumbbells, and Trx! 2016 is the year!!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used diet1234 drops and lost 50 lbs, now learning how important it is to not overeat. Feel free to message and friend me. I keep telling people cuz I thought I would never be able to lose the fat. There is a lot of info online and even youtubes about weight loss. Some is phoney but some really helps. Make 2016 your year!
  • marielou62
    marielou62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Identify completely with the ups & downs of managing weight. I have had a good 2015 with an over 20lb weight loss since July by improving what I eat and increasing the exercise. SW168lb, CW140, GW132. Enough of a loss to make a huge difference to how I feel about myself. Getting into clothes that have not fitted for years. Now I have seemed to have reached a plateau so trying to build in some weight training. Not lost any weight but I am toning up. So much info out there, it does get confusing. Determined to keep going though to make 2016 even better.
  • beachmabel
    beachmabel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and have battled with my weight since I was 13. I am a small size but am getting very flabby. I have managed to keep my weight up and down 5 pounds but now I have gained 10 lbs. i cant seem to stay motivated Tired of watching my food intake. Any suggestions I am also tired of the additional body pains after exercizing
  • carriesheph
    carriesheph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, We're also very similar. I on the other hand am 52 with 2 girls, 25 and 27 years old. I've always been in shape and have always exercised burn at 49 I had a few obstacles that blocked my path. The beginning of this year my life goal is to get the 8 ponds off me and change my thought process. I'm watching what I eat but my own culprit is the hidden sodium in our foods. The last week I've been eating NutriSystem for breakfast and lunch and making a healthy dinner. I highly recommend looking at the website www.DrGourmet.com. I have been using his dinner recipes (low sodium) and they are really good.
    Would love to have you add me as a friend and we can help one another. You got this, hang in there.
  • marielou62
    Options
    Love all the encouragement and ideas to help with motivation. Any ideas are always welcome I should probably explain a little more of my circumstances. I am 5'6" and 53. My weights stats are above. I live in St Lucia , West Indies which is fantastic but it does create issues with obtaining certain foods that in the US & UK would be easily available. Although there is a lot of amazing locally produced fruit and veg a lot is only available seasonally. Also a lot of fruit & veg is imported and therefore expensive. Exercise should not be an issue but the heat and humidity can play a part in restricting when and what you can do. I try and walk early before the sun is too hot and do aqua which is great fun and refreshing. Running not my thing but in the process of learn to swim properly so I can take advantage of the ocean. For me when I started the re-evaluation of my lifestyle was to do little and often. Initially started with a 20 minute walk with the dogs - now I am doing at least 4 miles a day . I never thought I would say this 6 months ago but I love my early morning walk!
  • towngown
    towngown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am the same age and with the same family make-up (teenaged kids) as most of you and I am in the same bind as you all. From everything I read, strength-training is essential to weight loss at our age--and good for our bones, too. I just cannot get myself to do it even though I will happily spin and do HIIT. Neither seems to be helping me lose weight all that much... Does anybody have a routine--x days cardio, y days strength that seems to be working?

Probably my mindless snacking--healthy enough, usually, but to ease boredom/anger/frustration rather than to satisfy hunger--hinders my weight loss, too!

Good luck, everyone!
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and have fought gaining for 15 years. I am working out when I never have before. I am 5'2" and this point 112 pounds. My clothes tell me I need drop some.
  • lachellerininger
    lachellerininger Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am in the same boat as most of you. lol I am almost 50 (next month) trying to lose the last 10-15 lbs. and get toned up a little. I am 5'6" and weigh in at 152. I am a carb junkie and know it. Pizza is my weakness. :-) I work out on the elliptical about 5 days a week for 30 minutes. I would like to join the gym but at this time I have some lower back issues to get under control.

I have learned not to let the daily fluctuations in my weight get the best of me like I used to. One of my biggest challenges is my bf with whom I live. He tends to buy things at the store for me he knows I like even though I shouldn't be eating them or order an appetizer at the restaurant he knows I like.

I am happy to find this group/thread. Hope to keep motivated and encouraged with people like myself.

Please friend me if you have the same goals!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I manage to walk to work and back most days and two days a week I do strength training. The strength training takes me a maximum of 30 minutes and I don't get sweaty but it is toning all my muscles.

I have to track my calories all the time as I have a terrible habit of just eating non-stop if I don't count them! It's made me plan my meals for the week and my lunches. Planning makes it easier to stick to healthier choices, for me anyway, as I then have the correct ingredients in for dishes I like which I can look forward to eating.

Being in peri-menopause has meant I have had to drop 250 calories a day to just stay the same weight. That was the biggest surprise to me as it happened very suddenly and I had to drop so many calories to just stay still.

I'm 49 5'6" and 148lb. My maintenance weight is 142-144lb and maintenance calories are 1400-1450

I have been doing the 5:2 diet since the new year to drop the 10lbs I put on in the two weeks of Christmas. I find this the easiest plan to use as the occasional drop in calories needed to peg back my weight after holidays or if it starts to creep up. I start the diet by only having vegetable soup on the two down days and a normal evening meal until I have adjusted and can go all day without any food and just eat my evening meal. It's hard to start with but once you adjust it works wonders. I keep an eye on my calories on the other 5 days and still manage to go up a couple of pounds each weekend eating with the family!

I haven't changed my diet, I eat what I want and even when I want but the important thing for me is knowing how much I can have without getting into the excess that makes me gain weight. I'm still working on the holiday eating though as I always end up with an extra 10lbs twice a year which I need to reduce without feeling deprived at those times.

Everything is possible you need to find the routine that suits your lifestyle and you will be able to stick to i.e. don't add in exercise you aren't going to want to keep doing, swap out foods for healthier versions so you can still enjoy the things you like, if you want to eat chips/chocolate then work them into your daily/weekly/monthly eating plan. Try out exercising whilst cleaning like lunge hovering or try bodyweight exercises when you have 5 minutes spare throughout the day.

:)
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    hi, thought I should post as I have been stalking this thread. I have been on mfp for a full year and have lost up to 10lbs. unfortunately a couple found me over the last month or so. I am 46, 5'6 and ranging between 146-149 right now. my goal is to get back to the 130s as I am not sure why I left them:( I have two teeneage kids with all the drama that goes along with them. I am definitely an emotional eater but trying not to be. I love sweets and own a small cookie company. I have found the less sugar for me the better but I am not adverse to using truvia. I eat between 1400-1500 cals a day. I am suppose to have cheat meal once a week but don't always do that.

as far as working out, I am all over it. I usually do an hour of cardio/day, spin or elliptical 6 days a week. I also do three days of lifting.

that is my story. lets keep this thread going.

stephanie
  • marielou62
    Options
    Another day in paradise..... Walk the dogs - still dark! I need to teach the dog the time or least not to wake up until it is light. Did the aqua class this morning - love it as it refreshing and sets me up for the day. Not working till this afternoon so home for lunch. This means I can "be good" and not get distracted with cake at the office but have friends coming over later for drinks and snacks so willpower may go out of the window. The weekend will also be a challenge as have social activities planned for both Saturday and Sunday. Not sure the scales will move much this week.