Glutened. Is that even a word?

Options
auntneen
auntneen Posts: 31 Member
I've been eating paleo/primal for 4 1/2 years. I say both because I have periods of time where I eat dairy. Anyway, I got glutened today. Was in a situation I didn't have a lot of control over and ate the meat off of a sandwich so I didn't have to go hungry all day long. I know right away because I get pain in my feet and legs and have restless legs-type problems. Anyway, just wondering what people do to get over their symptoms, whatever they may be. My sister swears by tonic water but I don't like all the sugar in it.

Replies

• simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Found this online: mindbodygreen.com/0-10545/3-steps-to-recover-after-getting-glutened.html

Some good tips, particularly to hydrate well to flush it out of your system and the suggestion of a digestive enzyme that contains dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP-IV), which helps to break down the gluten.
  • auntneen
    Options
    Found this online: mindbodygreen.com/0-10545/3-steps-to-recover-after-getting-glutened.html

Some good tips, particularly to hydrate well to flush it out of your system and the suggestion of a digestive enzyme that contains dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP-IV), which helps to break down the gluten.

Thanks for that. I had not seen that article and I actually have some of that stuff on hand, never thought to use it for gluten exposures!

I guess I was also really looking for anecdotal thoughts as well. I know part of recovery is gut healing but in the time it takes for that to happen what can I do to reduce symptoms? Maybe I should find a celiac group on MFP... That would probably be helpful.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, tonic water would not be my go to for any remedy. It has as much sugar as ginger ale, and likely less benefit. I'm not convinced it has a relevant health benefit as malaria does not exist where I live. I guess the sugar added was to make it more palatable for those who don't like "bitter".

Gluten and soy sneak in everywhere which is why this lifestyle is best utilizing whole foods that one prepares for themselves. I went on a Disney cruise ship once and oh boy did I get glutened. It was on everything: veggies, steaks... everything was dredged in it even if it couldn't be seen. One week set me back months of hard earned progress.

When you get "glutened" just learn and move on. I tend to get a little angry too and if it's a restaurant I let them know my displeasure. I don't really have any techniques to lesson the effects except that eating mostly animals, rather than plants, is beneficial for me personally.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have never heard tonic water as a solution. I do know I love my sodastream. It helped me kick my soda addiction and makes drinking water fun :). For tummy displeasure - which happens if I eat something questionable, my go to solution is bitters and soda, add just enough bitters to give soda a pink color. and by soda I mean, clean water with carbonation.
  • auntneen
    Options
    I tend to drink seltzer water when I have tummy issues or have been glutened. I wonder if the carbonation is what's helping the most. Might pay to invest in a soda stream... I do also focus on my diet more than usual for a week or so.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I get glutened, It's less of a stomach issue as it is a problem for my joints, my head and my emotions: pain and anxiety that makes the pain worse. I also get a little bloated and fatigued. I've been really good about avoiding it, but I do worry every time I step into Baking and Pastry class.