Does anyone use a fitness tracker?

Options
Ringbearer2
Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
Hi! I am a long-time lurker, but avid reader. I really enjoy this group and its knowledgable and inclusive members.
In an effort to overcome my post-holidays inertia (and to spend my Amazon gift card on something productive) I am today the proud but somewhat dubious owner of a Vivosmart HR. It's hella ugly, but at least the trim is purple :). I am curious to know whether any of you lovely people use a tracker. Any tips on optimization would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, but it's not really a complete fitness tracker. It just measures steps for me. But, I do enjoy using it and it helps me walk a little bit more and stay more active.
  • kZorel
    kZorel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Charge HR. It has provided incentive for me to get my 10,000 steps in daily. In fact it becomes a bit of an obsession lol. I really like it. Best of luck!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I got an Apple watch for my birthday (Dec. 20) - I've only used the fitness part twice so far (slacker, yes). I like it. I also have a polar ft4, but it's been resting a while now since I got the watch and have been completely not exercising at all. I was going to get the fitbit, but there was an excellent deal on the Apple watch at Target...so I did that instead.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit 2 that I use to track steps. I also have a Fitbit Flex, but it cannot be used in the pool so I switched to the Vivofit. Plus, the Vivofit does not have to be charged every night like the Fitbit. The Fitbit website is user friendlier, though, and their weekly reports were very helpful. When Fitbit makes a tracker that can be used in the pool, I'll probably switch again as I just really like all the info and data they give their users.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a Microsoft Band 2. I absolutely love it. It tracks steps, HR, sleep and I get my emails and texts.
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! It's going to take some getting used to, but it's ale wary made me get up from my desk twice. I think I'll call it "Mom".
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I currently have a fitbit, and it is okay. My current concern is I have a WaterRower on order and it will be here in a few days (yay!), and I am trying to figure out how to accurately track while using the rower. I think I am going to get a heart rate monitor. My husband uses a Polar and loves it, so I think I may invest in one for myself. When I ride my bike, I just use the MapMyRide app and I LOVE it.
  • Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit. It keeps me on track, I like that I can see a record of my lazy days vs high energy days, so I think I've lost weight because of it, maybe. I do know that for me it's more abou diet than anything.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just to let you guys know, we created a "Low Carber Daily -- Fitness Tracker Users" sister group, since there were a number of people who have them, so head on over there and join up. It's a much smaller group currently (so your fitness tracker topics don't get lost in the all the other topics here), and it's all fitness trackers, all the time there. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105163-low-carber-daily-activity-trackers
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, we created a "Low Carber Daily -- Fitness Tracker Users" sister group, since there were a number of people who have them, so head on over there and join up. It's a much smaller group currently (so your fitness tracker topics don't get lost in the all the other topics here), and it's all fitness trackers, all the time there. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105163-low-carber-daily-activity-trackers

oh my goodness why am I just now hearing about this :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a vivofit and a chest band to track heart rate. I track my morning workouts, sleep and steps with it.

That group doesn't seem to have had any activity since September. By the way, does anyone know what happened to fit_goat?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    I have a vivofit and a chest band to track heart rate. I track my morning workouts, sleep and steps with it.

That group doesn't seem to have had any activity since September. By the way, does anyone know what happened to fit_goat?

That's because it's a smaller group, and we kind of ran out of stuff to talk about for a short while (most of us in it right now are ones who don't do a lot of tracking in nearly anything). Once more people join and start chatting, it'll pick back up.

Fit's around, I've seen him posting recently. He's a school teacher, so he might not be on as much right now, due to post-holiday school stuff.
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Thanks Dragonwolf! I saw it, but wasn't sure it was still active. Anyone else want to join?

So far the thing I like most is that I don't have to pick up my phone to read texts. I think I need to adjust my attitude :).
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I also got a purple vivosmart HR 2 weeks ago. Love it. Mainly got it as waterproof and can wear swimming. I am a figures and stats person. It fascinates me. Great for making me move and monitor my steps.
  • disaberry
    disaberry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had a fit bit Charge HR and for Christmas I got a fit bit Surge which is amazing! I track everything every day and it has a setting for weights and hiking and elliptical.... very very cool, with lots of great features and I mesh in with my MFP diary. I keep track of all of my food and everything. I am just loving the support and motivation that I get from these devices and this community! :-)
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    I also got a purple vivosmart HR 2 weeks ago. Love it. Mainly got it as waterproof and can wear swimming. I am a figures and stats person. It fascinates me. Great for making me move and monitor my steps.
    Sue, how are you finding the app/website? I am kinda stumbling around.

@disaberry, the Surge was definitely a contender---love the GPS function. glad you are finding it motivating!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit for 2+ years, it survived being stepped on, had a car drive over it, lost it in a store for a week, but they found it and called me, lost it in my compost pile and dig it out, broke in half and glued together for a while. Finally replaced it with a fitbit1- I use it to monitor walking steps, stairs climbed and sleep.

In November I added a Garmin Vivoactive in order to monitor treadmill and strength training - mostly for my heart beat since I have not done heavy exercise for years. It also does step count and gets pretty much the same results as the Fitbit. In addition I get the walk speed if I'm outside. Creates graphs of activity - e.g. treadmill- speed and heart beat over time. Very complex gadget - takes a while to figure out all the features.

Also have a lumo lift that monitor my posture.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sue, how are you finding the app/website? I am kinda

I cannot compare the Garmin app to any others as I don't have the others. I find it good, there are different logins depending if I am on the mobile or PC. Everything I want to track is there so I'm happy. It also gives other things like sleep patterns and movement during sleep - yep ok but not important to me, I think I sleep well. It is easy to sink, but clunky to setup between the multiple web sites but once done it done. I'm happy with it especially as my main excercise is swimming which it tracks.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Flex! It helps motivate me to move and I participate in challenges with friends almost every week.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It took me forever to find this thread again. I wish we could search the groups too. But I wanted to share this in case anyone else was looking for ways to hide their tracker
    Fitbit Bracelets for Fitbit Charge or Charge HR Activity Trackers

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-fitbit-bracelets-for-fitbit-charge-or-charge-hr?utm_source=uu19713991&utm_campaign=UserReferral_ma