What is a good healthy protein bar to have for breakfast on the run?

Options
Mjg2016
Mjg2016 Posts: 27 Member
What is a good healthy protein bar to have for breakfast on the run?

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think the one i've tried is supreme protein- 30g protein. Or a shake.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a quest fan, but depends on your goals. It has 20grams of protein low carb/sugar.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Life choice double chocolate fudge 20g. I honestly don't care for quest bars, but that's just me. It's all in personal preference.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you can, perhaps you could prepare egg muffins instead of having a protein bar? I love Quest bars but I don't find them all that filling, but 2 egg muffins with veg and ham or turkey are really filling. You can batch cook them and then have them in the fridge :)
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Quest changed their formula which then changed the flavor so I don't eat those anymore....I currently am enjoying B up bars which have similar macros to the quest (GNC).
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    jennytree wrote: »
    If you can, perhaps you could prepare egg muffins instead of having a protein bar? I love Quest bars but I don't find them all that filling, but 2 egg muffins with veg and ham or turkey are really filling. You can batch cook them and then have them in the fridge :)

I prefer egg muffins, I add the ham or chicken right in the muffins, so they are super portable eating. I also prefer a protein shake to a bar. But if I was driving I can see the advantage of a bar or a muffin option.

I recently found this site with some recipes that look awesome to me, will be trying out a few of these:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diy-protein-bars-healthy-bars-in-5-easy-steps.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I like the Balance or Zone bars - the 40/30/30 ratio and about 200 calories - if I just must have a snack. 2 x if a meal.

Not protein bars because still more carbs - but several are tasty with that fat in there.

Usually I'm sitting though until lunch - so skip breakfast. I eat late snack, so my carb stores are not low yet.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Builder Bars 270 calories, 20 grams of protein. I also like that they have a little crunch in them. I tried Quest and just do not like the taste. Done regular Clif bars, and while they taste great, just not enough protein for the amount of calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    The regular Clif bars are great for post-recovery snack after an endurance cardio workout, and you plan on another hard workout tomorrow.
    Great ratio of 4:1 for carbs:protein which is great for muscle glycogen recovery if taken within 30 min.

But no - not a protein bar by a long shot. Like the Builder bar version too, tad more carbs than some "protein" bars, but loaded with vitamins/minerals too.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    The regular Clif bars are great for post-recovery snack after an endurance cardio workout, and you plan on another hard workout tomorrow.
    Great ratio of 4:1 for carbs:protein which is great for muscle glycogen recovery if taken within 30 min.

But no - not a protein bar by a long shot. Like the Builder bar version too, tad more carbs than some "protein" bars, but loaded with vitamins/minerals too.

good to know. I like keeping some bars in my car and also taking on bike rides. The Clif Builder bars all have chocolate and the melting get a bit much.
  • heybales
    Options
    The regular Clif bars at least have some options that don't melt. I got sick of the Walnut one and can't stand it anymore, but Sierra trail mix and a newer seed/grain/bird feed ;-) versions are nice. But ya, the builders, I guess they figure they want chocolate.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    power bars or met rx bars premier protein bars there the ones i like