depression and diabetes

Options
Hi everyone. Don't want to be a downer, but I am feeling soo depressed today. It just came over me in a wash while I was at the nurse's getting my dressing changed.
I'm not sure if it's the diabetes, the fact that the damn hole where my tube was still hurts and has developed a rash and yeast infection, or if I'm just tired.

Has anyone else gotten depressed over being diabetic? I'm learning to cope in a positive way, at least most days. Today, I'm going to watch movies, NCIS re-runs, and just veg.

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh, constantly! I find it worse when my sugar gets low. You might try to remember if you've eaten recently. If not, have a healthy snack or your next meal, and see how you feel.
    Edited to fix punctuation. I'm hungry too, therefore not thinking, haha!
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks zcb. I did have a snack and a nap. Feeling kinda better. But, again, my wound site is still sore.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Any time a foot ulcer sidelines me, gets me a little down, because I try to stay active to help control my sugars.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    wtskinner wrote: »
    Any time a foot ulcer sidelines me, gets me a little down, because I try to stay active to help control my sugars.
    This, too. I'm wheelchair-bound and dealing with a recurring stubborn sore on my backside which has sentenced me to what will probably end up life without getting up ever again. I should be out there, in the world, smiling at those who need it and sharing (what I see as) the Good News, not curled up in a lonely, boring and dark room and being the one who needs said smiles. I know you said that's not exactly your current situation, but I bet it hurts just the same! Again, please feel free to shoot me a friend request with a quick message if you need someone to talk to!
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I actively take antidepressants and something to help me sleep. When I was first diagnosed I had a really difficult time (and some days I still do). I try to stay active but I also wanted to stress while my situation is different from others that I am choosing to stay on the antidepressants probably for the rest of my life as I was told from mental health that I probably have suffered from depression (major depression disorder) my whole life. It's a medical condition just like diabetes and needs to be treated as such! Good luck!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    I've been on antidepressants as well for a very long time. And I feel great most of the time. It's just with this new diagnosis, it puts me in a funk from time to time. Also, and I'm just sorta remembering this, every time the doctor lowers my prednisone, I get weepy for a day or two. I'm feeling much better these last few days (mood wise), but the Dr. will be reducing my prednisone again on Monday.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I couldn't sleep or think about anything else when I got diagnosed. I obsessed about every complication and why I would get them. I couldn't think positive at all and I cried and cried. My doctor advised me to take tai chi as a first step and over the weeks and months I began to feel more like myself. I think that lots of people get depressed and stressed out because, let's face it, every single day we have to manage what we are eating..not just for weight loss but all the stuff like carbs and all the stuff about diets on the web is overwhelming...the whole thing is overwhelming if you ask me. Having friendships and people who truly "get it" like here (don't know any diabetics in my daily life) I find that comforting and usually people have some experience about what you are going through. You can learn from them and get support. We care about you. It's good to get things off your chest. ((Hugs))
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    You're so right Jane. Unfortunately, the only person I know with diabetes is my sister-in-law. She's had type 2 for years, but if I ask her anything about it, she gets her back up and says 'Well, it's different for everyone" and "I'm fine".
    Today will be a good day, my fasting sugars were 6,6 this morning, so that's good.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Awesome Judy!! Hang in there! No matter what anyone said to me, the only thing that made me feel anyway normal was seeing my bs come down and the weight come off and the doctor saying he thought I was doing well..honestly panic in my heart. Just keep watching what you eat and choose complex carbs whenever you can...I had to eat less carbs than what the dietician recommended. Make sure your diet is balanced and always drink your water. Walk if you can..even a little helps. It is good for stress relief!!! Anyhow I usually am not on the forum too much but if you want to be friends, please add me. I have a diary that friends can see. I am
    Active on my friends timeline. :)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My doctor warned me when I was first diagnosed that I would likely go through a huge range of emotions from denial to anger to resentment and depression over having the disease.. I brushed it off at the time; was just like "whatever.. ya ok i'll just deal with it"..

and then Bam.. I was completely overwhelmed with everything I had to learn, there was so much conflicting info from the diabetes associations, my doc, online, books etc... and every single damn one of those emotions hit me over the first few months.. I don't think I even realized it was happening at the time.. cause I was also menopausal (oh ya.. fun? wow! )
    so I was quick to anger, stuffing my face with potato chips for comfort, etc etc..

Finding MFP and starting to learn about how the disease works, and how what I eat and how I move my parts can help control it was the one thing that probably saved my sanity (and the lives of anyone within 10 feet of me on occasion lol)

It was still hugely overwhelming the first few months; I believed everything I read everywhere and tried everything, but the more I learned and the more I realized the responsibility was mine to learn something, research it on my own, and find what works for me, eventually it became easier and the depression and other upheaveals lessened. But I do remember feeling so overwhelmed especially the first few months....

Knowledge is power and MFP is an awesome place to find the resources and other people who are going through exactly the same thing, or have been through it, and can totally relate to just about every situation or feeling you have.. and sometimes, that's all you need is a good vent or a good rant and somebody else just saying yup... been there, done that, got the t shirt.. so you know you're not alone :)

I lost 40 lbs my first two years, and hit my goal weight a year ago, but I flunked maintenance beause I got lazy and complacent and figured I've got this beat... (another ouch moment) and regained 15 lbs over the past year.. and my A1C started to creep up.... so i'm working on re-establishing the back to basics in my head to get back to my goal weight... because as the op above said, getting rid of the excessive weight, eating well and starting to move your parts is a huge part of the success in managing our T2D.

and wine. wine helps. o:)
    (kidding!)

• judyvalentine512
    Options
    Well, I honestly have to say, I think I'm still kinda in denial stage. I keep saying to myself, as soon as the doctor has weaned me off the prednisone, I won't be diabetic anymore, so I'll be okay. I know that's not realistic, but there it is.
    I have been doing much better facing facts and getting information from reliable sources. Journalling has always been my savior when it came to watching what I eat, so I'm back to that. and am starting to lose weight.
    But, I think things will improve soon, mood wise, because I do believe the hole in my side is finally closing up and I won't have to go to the nurse every other day for dressing changes.
    I'll be free to wander the neighborhood, go birdwatching, and get my mojo back.