Hiatal Hernia

Options
After my upper gi and barium swallow test for before surgery my surgeons office called and said I have a small hiatal hernia but the surgeon would talk to me about it at our next appointment. I am currently in the process of doing all the requirements to get approval for VGS hopefully in March. Has anyone had any experience with this diagnosis and did it prevent bariactric surgery?

Replies

• klingerman73
    klingerman73 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My surgeon repaired my hernia while doing my surgery.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't discovered until I was on the operating table; my surgeon fixed it then. Hiatal hernia is common in obese people and it is a standard to sign a release saying it can be fixed if it is noted before or during bariatric surgery. Depending on your insurance requirements, it could actually work in your favor since it can be considered a co-morbity. In my case, I suffered from "silent" reflux and it had caused quite a bit of damage to my esophagus which (slightly) increases the possibility of developing esophageal cancer.
  • charmainemonk
    charmainemonk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Makes me feel better about it.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said that an overwhelming number of patients end up having the hernia repair during the RNY
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Completely normal - they also repaired mine during surgery. My surgeon said about 99 percent of the patients going in for gastric sleeve at their facility also get one corrected, enough so that they go ahead and have patients sign a release for it pre-op so they can repair it while they're in there.
  • RNY2thin
    RNY2thin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yup, I signed a paper saying the same thing, if they find one it will be repaired during surgery
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Didn't know about mine til I was told it was repaired during surgery. I read about it when I got home and found out it is very common.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    They found one during my mom's RnY, but it was very large and unfortunately the repair didn't hold. She ended up going back in after a few month of nausea and an endoscopy that showed it had re-herniated, and then went in for a separate procedure to deal with the hernia about 5 months after her RnY. It has held since (just about a year now).
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    me too! fixed during my sleeve surgery :)
  • charmainemonk
    charmainemonk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of glad in a way so if people ask me why I'm taking off work I can say to fix a hernia! Not that it's anyone's business but people are so nosy.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yup. Hernia repair here, too. I think surgeon said it meant 5 holes instead of 4. No biggie.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The gastroenterologist scoped me before surgery and said I was fine, but the surgeon found and repaired a hiatal hernia while doing my RNYGB. It seems pretty common, he certainly wasn't surprised. Whether because of the hernia repair, weight loss or improved diet, I haven't had to take the prescription meds I'd been on for a decade to treat very bad esophageal reflux - and I've been completely symptom free for 14 months now!