Life isn't linear; nor is weight loss or motivation

Options
Runagain_4
Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
I've spent the last five years or so failing at weight loss because my expectations of a daily continuously lower weight weren't met. This last time around, perhaps because I've reached the wise age of 45, I decided to approach weight loss the way I approach life: take the good with the bad, the ups with the downs, and simply try to enjoy the process.
The results? Weight loss, healthier eating and lifestyle, and actually enjoying the journey instead of turning around and going right back to where I started.
I look back after 3 months and think 'wow'! I'm halfway to my goal and it seems like it passed in the blink of an eye.
But the reality is, those first few weeks were really tough and some days still are. Some days the scale doesn't budge; many days it goes up. I reach an all-time low one day, and then go back up 2 lbs the next. But then I reach another all-time low, and when I go up another 2 lbs, it's not quite as high as it was last time.
Slowly, gradually, 0.3 lbs, 0.4lbs, sometimes 1 lbs at a time, the weight has come down. But it hasn't been a straight road. If I had quit that one day (1 month in, after a 3-day vacation and poor eating) when the scale showed a 3 lb jump, I wouldn't be writing this today. But I didn't quit. And I'm still here.
I'm on a downhill road, but it's filled with bumps and challenges and potholes and mounds. And sometimes I need to remind myself that those bumps and challenges would be a lot worse if I were going uphill.
Keep at it people. Don't let the number on the scale on one single day dictate your success. If you're here right now and reading this, you're already on the right path. Now, one foot in front of the other, continue on.
Happy Friday :smile:

Replies

• MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Well said. A trick I have found helps me is every time I have a new low weight I put it in my phone calendar. That way I can see the monthly downward trend at a glance. I know that at the beginning of the month I weighed X and the end of the month Y for a loss of Z.
  • tmptina
    tmptina Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's the last time around for me too. I'll be 45 in January! This time is different all around, its about being accountable and really caring about myself. I love MFP sooo much!
  • edptanner
    edptanner Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have been on the same rough path and have come to the same conclusions. But you articulated them so much better!
  • dgprocess
    dgprocess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one- I couldn't understand how my weight would slowly be going down .2 lbs each day for 3-4 days, then suddenly *UP* 2 lbs with no change in eating or exercise habits! And then stay there for a few days!

I got off track a bit over the holidays (don't we all), but I'm back on track again and ready to lose those last 10-15 lbs. I do find it frustrating when I see people post they lose 8-10 lbs each month, and I seem to be at a 3lb/month pace, over the past 5 months this has led to a 15lb loss, so I'm not complaining too much.
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    dgprocess wrote: »
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one- I couldn't understand how my weight would slowly be going down .2 lbs each day for 3-4 days, then suddenly *UP* 2 lbs with no change in eating or exercise habits! And then stay there for a few days!

I got off track a bit over the holidays (don't we all), but I'm back on track again and ready to lose those last 10-15 lbs. I do find it frustrating when I see people post they lose 8-10 lbs each month, and I seem to be at a 3lb/month pace, over the past 5 months this has led to a 15lb loss, so I'm not complaining too much.

I've been slightly off track the last 2 weeks as well (a few days at Christmas, then New Year's Eve and Day). But what's amazing is that even though I went up 3 lb after Christmas, by New Year's Eve I was back to my pre-Christmas low, and I've actually maintained my trend weight, which is all I was really hoping for over the Holidays. Had I let the scale dishearten me, this wouldn't have been possible.

We have to take those .2 lb losses as they come. They eventually add up. Well done to you for a 15 lb weight loss! That's impressive. I also have another 12 lbs left to drop in the new year. We've got a 2-week vacation coming up end January, so I'm thinking it may be late spring before I reach my goal. And that's ok.

Best of luck on achieving all your 2016 goals!
  • gfit123
    gfit123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I worked very hard to lose 15lbs in 3 months and I was grateful. Now I have to lower my expectations because I can't work as hard as I did last round because there are too many things going on in my life that need my attention. If I lose 10lbs in 3 months I will consider it a victory!! Heck, actually, just the fact I came back to MFP is a victory.
  • Sherryisgettingfit
    Sherryisgettingfit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this today, this is exactly what I'm going through!! Thank you for posting!!