Does anybody work with food for a living?

Options
TheCakeDiva
TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
Quite a number of years ago, I lost 70 lbs following a low carb WOE. I did well, and kept it off for two years. And then I fell of the bandwagon and gained pretty much all of it back.

I'm determined to get myself healthy again. But one major thing has changed since the last time - I now work with food for a living. Specifically - sugar. I'm a cake designer, I own my own business. I have no desire to change careers!

I'm getting pretty good at swiping all scraps directly into the garbage so I'm not snacking, and only occasionally taste test buttercream to make sure the flavouring I've added is right. And we're talking a touch of the finger, not even a 1/4 teaspoon.

Anybody else in the same boat?

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No, but man, I feel for you! There's a chocolate shop downtown, can you imagine? Every time I go in there I pity the ladies there!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You are hard core!
    I found this chart, oddly enough, it was linked to me by someone defending the SAD diet showing when the fat burning occurs on high carbs. I had to laugh because I saw it totally differently than he did. lol
    b9q73dqsz1cu.jpg
    What Mr. SAD Defender wanted to show was how he's burning fat all day and all night.
    What he was ignoring was that this chart assumes a person (with no metabolic issues) will eat an appropriate sized meal and not eat any snacks in between that would prevent the fat burning. It also assumes they will not eat after dinner and will get 8 hours of sleep. Yeah, that's all totally typical of SAD right? :wink:
    Anyway, I'm sharing it because it might help to visualize this anytime you might feel tempted to take more than the minimum taste you need to test a batch. If you think about the fact that it will be putting your body into the fat storing mode because of any high carb diversion, it might work as a deterrent. Maybe even print it and put it in sight if you feel the need.
  • TheCakeDiva
    Options
    Thanks!

I forget who said it on another thread here - but I need to be an "all or nothing" person with sweets & junk. Potato chips are my destruction. Honestly, I'd rather the bag of chips than a piece of cake, so I'm good with not eating the sweets I work with. But it is hard!
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    More power to you. That has been one of the hardest things I've ever done is to not "taste test" everything I cook. I firmly believe that was one of the major reasons I gained so much.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You are hard core!
    I found this chart, oddly enough, it was linked to me by someone defending the SAD diet showing when the fat burning occurs on high carbs. I had to laugh because I saw it totally differently than he did. lol
    b9q73dqsz1cu.jpg
    What Mr. SAD Defender wanted to show was how he's burning fat all day and all night.
    What he was ignoring was that this chart assumes a person (with no metabolic issues) will eat an appropriate sized meal and not eat any snacks in between that would prevent the fat burning. It also assumes they will not eat after dinner and will get 8 hours of sleep. Yeah, that's all totally typical of SAD right? :wink:
    Anyway, I'm sharing it because it might help to visualize this anytime you might feel tempted to take more than the minimum taste you need to test a batch. If you think about the fact that it will be putting your body into the fat storing mode because of any high carb diversion, it might work as a deterrent. Maybe even print it and put it in sight if you feel the need.

Since when did SAD encourage just 3 meals? Every SAD plan I see encourages snacks in between and after dinner, ironically, supposedly to "keep the fire stoked."

Regarding the original question -- I do....but it's grocery shopping. :lol:

I feel your pain, though, I do some baking to earn a little side money sometimes, and it's hard to resist! I specialize in cake rolls (pumpkin rolls and whatnot), and that combination of cream cheese and sugar is my kryptonite!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You are hard core!
    b9q73dqsz1cu.jpg

Since when did SAD encourage just 3 meals? Every SAD plan I see encourages snacks in between and after dinner, ironically, supposedly to "keep the fire stoked."

Regarding the original question -- I do....but it's grocery shopping. :lol:

I feel your pain, though, I do some baking to earn a little side money sometimes, and it's hard to resist! I specialize in cake rolls (pumpkin rolls and whatnot), and that combination of cream cheese and sugar is my kryptonite!

I know right! I couldn't believe this person thought this chart was an argument for SAD.
    It was actually included in an article that was literally defending SAD over low carb. It went on to say "sure low carbers are burning fat all day. But it's just consumed fat, not body fat". It wa the the dumbest drivel I've ever read and the guy that linked it really felt like a champion for "showing me" how wrong lie carb is. Lol
    Of course, the other sugar burners thought the article was great too.
    I wish I could find it again. I should've saved it!
  • lukesydaisy
    lukesydaisy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In a way...I'm a housemom at a children's home, so I am preparing lots of things that I can't eat. One of them dang kids brought home an entire cookie cake yesterday and no matter how much I tried to get them to eat it, there's still some left, taunting me (I'm on day 3, so bear with me).
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Yup I work for a grain company. I now avoid getting dragged into the lab for taste tests of new product :) I've been lucky finding excuses to get out of it LOL!
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I cook for my family, and they haven't conformed to my keto life style. But I also work as a waitress and constantly fight to not eat various foods, especially the French fries, which are my be all end all bad food I adore.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure if I worked in a cake shop, at the end of everyday you would see me in the fetal position, in the corner with frosting all over my face. I really admire your will power! I am an impulsive person and cake is my absolute weakness, so I have had to completely cut it out of my life (at least for now).

I don't work with food and I work from home. My husband also is eating like me, so we just don't keep stuff in the house. I don't have any advice for you, but I just had to share my amazement at your ability to stay out of the frosting and cake. LOL
  • TheCakeDiva
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

It doesn't help that I also work by myself, and from home - I have a full commercial kitchen in my basement. But at least I can close the door and leave it there and it isn't in my kitchen fridge in my face all day.

Nice to know I'm not alone, and that it can be done!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    One thing that might help is to remind yourself that it's not yours to eat. I've found that I'm much less tempted by things that I consider "not mine." It works in the store for me, too, because none of it's "mine" until I've purchased it, making it a lot easier to forego something I pass in the store.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Gum!! I know a lot of people have trouble with gum and/or artificial sweeteners in that they both potentially kick start cravings or the general desire to eat, but I find a piece of gum when I am doing a lot of food prep very helpful to eliminate the constant taste testing.