The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options
ponchysue
ponchysue Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
I don't believe in "diets" but this was recently recommended this by a friend as I am having horrendous hormone issues. I've had physicals, blood work and I'm currently working with my gyno to figure out what is going on. I go back on Thursday to get the results of the most recent test that is going to tell us how quickly I metabolize certain meds. (Pretty cool actually. It was a cheek swab!) I'm 41 but not meno or pre-meno and all my blood work is perfect. We tried the Nuvaring but that went pear shaped after 3 months and I gained an additional 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks! I'm trying this to see if eating clean will help with the horrible PMDD (PMS on 'roids) and my IBS. I figure 28 days is worth a try to see if I get any relief. I like the idea of clean eating and I'm hoping to learn to make choices that are better for me. I don't have a problem with the "foods to avoid" especially soy, since I am allergic. However, I'm currently on day 2 and feel like hammered poo. Oh, I miss my diet coke. I'm allowing myself one cup of decaf a day though.

I came to the forum to see if anyone has tried it and was able to tweak it to the 1200 calorie minimum. I don't believe less than that is healthy for an adult and was shocked yesterday when I was entering my food into the app...I barely squeaked past. Same thing for today. I'm currently supposed to be eating about 1700. Duh, of course there is going to be weight loss with that much deficit. Oh, and the suggested running? Not going to happen. I was so tired I fell asleep a little after 7 last night. I tweaked my profile here to more sedentary and now I'm a little over 1400 as my goal.

I would love to hear suggestions, especially if you have had hormone issues and success with any type of anything. I'm at my wits end!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ponchysue
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good questions. The diet is called the Fast Metabolism Diet.

No wheat, corn, soy, dairy, caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol, dried fruit or fruit juices, no artificial sweeteners and no fat-free diet foods.

The portions are scaled by how much weight you want to lose. It's a chart in the book.

I've been running for years, but over the summer, my allergies took a hard left and I developed exercise induced asthma. I would wheeze if I coughed too hard. I started allergy shots a month ago and that has disappeared.

The diet suggests you run during the Phase 1, the first two days of the diet per week, since you are on a natural sugar high. I was laughing all the way to my bed last night. Maybe next week when I'm not in preservative withdrawal.
  • ponchysue
    Options
    Thanks! It is actually better today. Funny you mention the whiskers...I'm of Italian descent and get a stray on my chinny chin chin every so often. Sadly, my sister has PCOS and has a bigger problem with hairs on the wrong place. I don't have a Mario 'stache though.

Today starts phase two, protein and veggies for two days. Dinner is in the crockpot and smells good! Maybe this won't be torture after all. I'm just going to have to eat a ton of veggies to hit 1200 calories!

I changed my food diary to public (eek!) if anyone wanted to look and make suggestions. I have meetings today so I'll be late getting home but I want to walk at least three times this week. I have noticed I'm going to bed earlier and feel like I'm sleeping better.
  • indigojoy
    indigojoy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was on a similar eating program, basically anti-inflammatory eating. (No soy, gluten, dairy, alcohol, refined sugar, nightshades, mushrooms, grains. It was a lot of NO.) I didn't do portion control, and I lost 15 lbs in 2 months. It was a difficult way of eating, but I feel like it really did some healing for me
  • ponchysue
    Options
    That's good to know! I had lost 5 pounds as of yesterday but woke up constipated this morning. I don't think I had enough veggies with all that meat. I'll try harder next Wednesday and Thursday. I picked up more veggies so here's hoping!

Today is the hubby's birthday. I had a veggie omlet at breakfast and we are going to a Thai place tonight. He chose it because he knew I could find something to eat there. ❤️❤️ I made the Chocolate Chia Pudding from the FMD website to have later since I have to pass on the cake. It set up well and smells yummy!
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    for the constipation - watch the water intake too= ibs constipation...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Have you tried bio-identical progesterone cream for the PMDD? It's supposed to help. It sure helped with my PMS and peri-menopause.

Good luck! I'm all about tweaking diet to help feel better!
  • ponchysue
    Options
    I've never heard of that cream! I'll ask my doctor about it if I ever hear back about my test results. :neutral: I've left two messages and it's been almost 4 weeks!

The clean eating seems to be working. I feel better, haven't had the usual tummy upset and I have lost weight. Some of the foods I'm enjoying, some not so much. I think I'm going to try to sustain reasonable clean eating as a lifestyle. :blush:
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, I'm 32, female and need to lose 60lbs of inactivity/steroid/medication related weight. I'm eating a keto type diet to see if I can eliminate some inflammation. Especially coming into the colder months, when it seems to hit me hardest. I'm combining that with intermittent fasting where I eat between 2pm and 8pm. Some people might call this extreme. But I'm at the point where I've tried everything and I'm desperate for relief and to get the lbs off. I was a runner too before I got diagnosed with RA 2 years ago. It seemed like overnight I became completely disabled by this disease and could barely walk or complete normal daily tasks (dressing, bathing, toilet trips etc). I have tried several meds and other diets. Anyway, this way of eating seems to be helping with the weight loss. My RA hasn't really changed. But getting this extra 60lbs off is going to help. And I've lost 4lbs this week. I have almost eliminated all grains, and I keep my carbs to around 30g/day as I'm just starting out and I wanted to ease into it. I know people who keep it to under 15/20g/day.
    Thats my 2 cents on the subject :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ponchysue wrote: »
    I've never heard of that cream! I'll ask my doctor about it if I ever hear back about my test results. :neutral: I've left two messages and it's been almost 4 weeks!

The clean eating seems to be working. I feel better, haven't had the usual tummy upset and I have lost weight. Some of the foods I'm enjoying, some not so much. I think I'm going to try to sustain reasonable clean eating as a lifestyle. :blush:

Glad you're seeing some improvements.

Here's a brand I like a lot:
    http://www.amazon.com/Life-Flo-Progesta-Care-Natural-Progesterone-Wellness/dp/B000FF9OLQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448749188&sr=1-6&keywords=progesterone+cream

Though some people think it's sticky.
  • rjl75
    rjl75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently started the FMD myself(week 1 day 1 phase 3). Are you sure you're having enough water. With the recommended water and vegies I'm surprised you were constipated even on phase 2. Having said that I'm exceeding my water dose by about 800ml a day.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I did FMD for two years and am now loosely doing maintenance. Keys are eating a ton of phase specific veg each day, drinking a ton of water, and herbal teas can help with the constipation. It can be difficult to hit a reasonable number of calories each day, but if you use MFP to pre-log your day you can insert higher calorie items to bump up your day and still stay phase appropriate. Also, there's a private facebook group called "FMD Support Group" that is extremely active, helpful, and friendly. Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • JediCowgirl
    JediCowgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've also had metabolic and hormone issues. At 41 you are peri-menopausal and the majority of conventional doctors are really clueless when it comes to Bio-identical Hormone Therapy (BHRT) and in fact, your thyroid could very likely be suffering. I think you might be in the UK due to some of the language you have used (pear shaped) and from what I understand, the BHRT doesn't seem to have a lot of support there. I would recommend you read Suzanne Somer's book "I'm too young for this". BHRT and proper Natural Dessicated Thyroid has changed my life! Conventional doctors don't test the thyroid properly. Also check, www.stopythethyroidmadness.com
  • seelemonster
    seelemonster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ponchysue wrote: »
    Good questions. The diet is called the Fast Metabolism Diet.

No wheat, corn, soy, dairy, caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol, dried fruit or fruit juices, no artificial sweeteners and no fat-free diet foods.

The portions are scaled by how much weight you want to lose. It's a chart in the book.

I've been running for years, but over the summer, my allergies took a hard left and I developed exercise induced asthma. I would wheeze if I coughed too hard. I started allergy shots a month ago and that has disappeared.

The diet suggests you run during the Phase 1, the first two days of the diet per week, since you are on a natural sugar high. I was laughing all the way to my bed last night. Maybe next week when I'm not in preservative withdrawal.

--Fast Metabolism Diet is awesome. The first week or two is awful because you are coming out of the processed crap phase. If you are hungry, you aren't eating enough. I couldn't finish most of my meals. I am actually trying to go back on it. Just need to buy myself a book. I used my mother in laws book the first time I did it. I also have PMDD and a thyroid issue that doctors aren't touching for whatever reason. I was able to lose 10 pounds in the first cycle which was my goal.