Maintain or gain muscle, while burning fat?

Options
Nikkimaxim
Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
Just about 8 weeks postpartum. For a couple of years and throughout my entire pregnancy, i lifted weights and did a couple sessions a week of hiit. I would either lose all the fat that i felt i needed, then go on a "bulk" to gain muscle or I would just bulk. I still have a good amount of muscle so I'm wondering what you ladies do to maintain/possibly gain more muscle while still burning fat? I breastfeed too if that makes any difference. I'm 5'3" currently 123 pounds, would like to be 115 pounds or at least lost 2.5 inches on my waist, all while maintaining the muscle that i do have. Any suggestions? Also, feel free to add me for more support and motivation:)

Replies

• ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby and on looking so fabulous!!!!

I don't have any experience with working out during pregnancy or even during nursing.

I'm sure you know that to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and since you're so very close to your goal weight, the suggestion is to eat very lose to your maintenance - still at small deficit - while lifting with increased protein (0.8 time body weight) to maintain/repair/build muscle.

However, since you're nursing your baby, I wonder if you should eat at maintenance instead for a sort of recomp while still having quality milk for baby and giving your body the chance to recuperate as it does a lot of extra baby related stuff. I suppose you should speak with your doc about that.

What ever you do, stay healthy and strong for baby and you. You look fabulous! Kuddos again on mommy duties :smiley:
  • amysless
    amysless Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding takes up about 500 calories a day to adequately feed the baby. Some women naturally lean out. Some do not. I would not worry about losing; just not gaining as having a baby is stressful enough and added stress is not good for either of you.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I nursed and still am although not as much because my baby is 1. My advice is don't let your calories fall to much. I kept 1700 calorie diet and still lost a ton of weight. Also water water water. Otherwise do your normal workout routines. Also, it was weird but my milk would let down during workouts so at first I made sure I wore nursing pads. I realizes that this post it older but made it'll still help someone.