Can I check I have Fitbit/MFP set up right...

Options
So, MFP (after completing my details etc) has informed me I have a 1490 calorie limit per day for a 0.2kg loss per week, activity level sedentary.
I go to the Gym 5 times a week for various classes or exercise and average approx. 400 calories burnt.
So now I'm assuming when FitBit syncs up with MFP it will auto adjust depending on calories burnt throughout day etc, and I can eat those added calories back that it gives me on MFP?

I totally ignore FitBit Dashboard in terms of logging food and calories etc. I log food with MFP and activities through FitBit. But just out of curiosity my FitBit always shows me in the amber on the calories front, saying I haven't eaten enough - I take it I should just keep ignoring it?

Replies

• ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    also just wanted to confirm MFP Loss of 0.2kg (0.5IB) is the same as FitBits 250 calorie deficit? (I read this on FAQ and just wanted to confirm this is correct) - I have set both activity level to sedentary as I work in office so don't do much apart from Gym/walking the dog
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I think you have it figured out!

MFP will give you some earned calories to eat for the exercise you do. You may want to leave a few extra (50-100) for the first few weeks, just to see if you need that buffer. Fitbit typically estimates your activity for the remainder of the day based on what you're doing at a particular moment, so you may find that calories disappear if you're really active in the early evening and then a lump the rest of the night. The estimate should improve with time, though.

Does your Fitbit dashboard show that you're under calories every single day? If so, might be a setting that's not quite right, or your logging could be off. It's not an issue if you're under, in the zone, or over throughout a specific day, though. Fitbit expects a consistent level of calories in & calories out, but you may be someone that eats the bulk of their calories at the end of the day.

Log foods on MFP (using a food scale if possible for accuracy) and non-step activities in Fitbit.

And, yes, the 0.2 KG is the 250 cal deficit :)

I hope that helps!

~Lyssa
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lyssa, I'm glad I finally got it.

I have a FitBit Surge so usually set it for all my Gym classes closest to the option they offer. Spin I use Spin, Zumba I use workout, Treadmill I use treadmill etc.

Yes Fitbit is showing majority days under, but not by much. There are probably 1/2 days per week that are in the zone, and I've not had any over (Apart from a few days in December, but I won't be counting December for obvious reasons haha!)

I'm quite consistent with how I eat - Monday-Friday I have approx. 450 calories for breakfast, similar for lunch and the rest for dinner. I may add a cereal bar, piece of fruit and a sugar in peppermint tea but that's about it. Saturday & Sunday I usually have a late breakfast so don't have lunch, and just dinner in evening with a drink or dessert - so possibly the bulk is there.

Thank you again, its a huge help x
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your Fitbit! :)

If you have issues, feel free to ask in this group and we can try to help. Their customer service is also pretty good, so if you have a hardware problem, call/email them and they should fix you up.

~Lyssa