Week 2 on keto so far

Hey ya'll.. so I'm on week 2 of keto diet.. 1st week went great..lots of energy and felt great besides the minor jitters that I managed once I fixed my electrolytes.. but man did week 2 hit me like a ton of bricks.. ok not that bad..but yep got the muscle fatigue...way less alert..and less energy.. and brain fog..I am getting a bit of cravings but I made some almond and dark chocolate cookies that had about 2-4 net carbs and didn't knock me out of keto..problem is now I have them in the house and they were good! I'm also having trouble balancing my meals.. like I'm ending up eating alot of protein or just protein lol Just need to work on that. Just got to get over this little hump and start balancing my diet .. but still liking keto.. because I don't feel like that "heavy" feeling you get when you eat all those carbs and processed crap..and my body just feels healthier..

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    You'll get the hang of it. We all went through similar struggles in the beginning. Heck I still do and it's been almost a year. There is tons of knowledge here, it was so helpful for me to post when I was struggling I learned so much more than I ever thought there was to know.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Yes, there's definitely a learning curve. Hang in there!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    If you are experiencing brain fog and fatigue it is likely that your electrolytes are out of balance. Try upping your salt intake. You'll need to get between 3000 - 5000 mg per day eating this way. Also look into magnesium and potassium.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »
    If you are experiencing brain fog and fatigue it is likely that your electrolytes are out of balance. Try upping your salt intake. You'll need to get between 3000 - 5000 mg per day eating this way. Also look into magnesium and potassium.

Right on point
  • Vsandoval2404
    Vsandoval2404 Posts: 12 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »

Thanks! I am finding that hard.. like I can't get close.. the highe st I've gotten my potassium to like 1.5 k .. and that's if I add a whole avocado to a meal.. this weekend when I go grocery shopping I will make sure to find foods high in mag and potassium.. is there a drink I can get because all I drink is water.. and coffee because I'm tired
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    If your going off mfp log for potassium, don't. Food labels are not required to list potassium so when you log your food most times it's not included even though it likely contains it. You are getting more than you think.

That being said a supplement may be necessary since you are keto and losing potassium as your body dumps sodium. I found magnesium to be most important for me in eliminating muscle cramps so don't forget that one you.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Also, coffee contains potassium. I get a LOT from that. But, it never shows up on my logs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    If you keep sodium up on a daily basis you won't really lose much of the other two. So supplementing potassium with some NuSalt (salt substitute) is generally enough. And a normal magnesium dosage is good too. But if Sodium levels stay well balanced, there shouldn't be any trouble with the others.
  • Vsandoval2404
    Vsandoval2404 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks yall :) got the lite salt ..so we will see how it goes