Plateau

Options
I was wondering if anyone in the group had had any issues with reaching a weight loss plateau. I have been at the same weight for two weeks now and am getting very frustrated. I only had the RYN surgery on 11/17/11, and after losing 33 pounds, I haven't been able to lose anymore. I can't tell if I'm eating too much or too little or what. :grumble:

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    That is interesting. We hear of plateaus in normal weight loss but this is the first I heard of it after surgery. I have a bypass scheduled for 1/16. I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow and will ask him about that. I'll get back to you tomorrow aft.
    Christine:smile:
  • bobbunn
    Options
    I had my surgery on 11/4 and have had some short term plateau's. The concern I had was that my weekly weight loss trend was leveling off to just one pound lost the week before Christmas. I was getting really discouraged. The plateau ended during Christmas week and I am back to losing at a regular rate again.

Hang in there. As long as you keep your calories under control the weight will start to come off again.
  • cberenholz
    cberenholz Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Im having this problem as well right now. I've lost 25 pounds so far. My VSG was on 12/21. I haven't lost anything since 1/8. I have actually gained 1 pound in the past 2 weeks! Idk what's going on. I've increased physical activity and am on point for protein. I hope I start losing again soon.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My sleeve was 8/11/2015. I've have numerous 1 & 2 week plateaus. I even had a 3 week plateau. My advice is to go back and read your material and if you've slipped in any area, readjust that. One of my areas of slippage was when I drank liquids. I wasn't stopping liquids 30 minutes before meals and waiting 60+ after meals to resume liquids. I recently had a friend who also was sleeved suggest to go back on protein shakes only (like presurgery diet) for 3 days. Soft food for day 4. Let me tell you, that totally worked. I lost 3.5 pounds in 3 days doing that. Just remember plateaus are normal.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My sleeve was 8/11/2015. I've have numerous 1 & 2 week plateaus. I even had a 3 week plateau. My advice is to go back and read your material and if you've slipped in any area, readjust that. One of my areas of slippage was when I drank liquids. I wasn't stopping liquids 30 minutes before meals and waiting 60+ after meals to resume liquids. I recently had a friend who also was sleeved suggest to go back on protein shakes only (like presurgery diet) for 3 days. Soft food for day 4. Let me tell you, that totally worked. I lost 3.5 pounds in 3 days doing that. Just remember plateaus are normal.

I was sleeved 11/23/15 and had a major stall about 4 weeks after my surgery. I never have been more tempted to throw my scale out the door. I did the exact same thing. I went back to the shakes and yogurt and in a few days the weight started coming off again. I also increased my exercise a bit. From everything I read stalls are common. It does not make them any less annoying.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also started keeping track of my measurements. I found that in my stall I was still losing inches. Maybe sometimes we are gaining some muscle and still losing fat. :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    They do happen in just about every weight loss scenario! Thereby proving, imo, that more calories out doesn't always equal weight loss. Way too many factors for it to be that simple! Just for example: after my sleeve, in 2010, I spent a total of six months, out of the first year, losing no weight! Not meant to discourage you, just so you know that it does happen! :smiley:

Measurements are a huge motivation during these times though!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone above. When I look at my weight loss from the last year, I see a lot of 1-2 week stalls where I lost nothing, then it starts again. That's a totally normal pattern. Trust the process.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are extremely common with WLS. I've experienced four of them in the past almost-year. Usually, you'll continue to lose inches, though, and sometimes increasing your carb intake - smartly, not junk that will make you dump - can sometimes break them. But yes, they're a normal part of this process. Almost everyone gets them 3-4 weeks post surgery, for instance. It's a pretty common post we see on the boards here.