Protein and fatigue ??

Options
michelski
michelski Posts: 44 Member
Today is my second day of hitting my Protein target but I am sat here feeling very sleepy and this reminded me that last night at about 21:30 I was so tired I felt like going to bed ! Could there be a reason linked to my recent increase in Protein?

Thanks

Replies

• jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you've dramatically reduced your carbs and your body is adjusting?
  • michelski
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No my carbs are a little over target so it can't be that...

I've just re-read your comment and of course before I started this journey which was only 5 days ago maybe my carbs were a little higher as I'm paying particular attention to the macros now. However im set up at 40% protein and fat and carbs at 30% I'm under on the fat, bang on re protein and 10 over on carbs - oh and 20 over on calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How steep a defecit are you on? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you eating a widespread nutritious diet? Are you adequately hydrated? Sleeping well? Lots of possible reasons
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How steep a defecit are you on? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you eating a widespread nutritious diet? Are you adequately hydrated? Sleeping well? Lots of possible reasons

These questions? It may be an adjustment to new caloric intake. Plus protein is typically heavy so that full tired feeling is some what normal.
  • michelski
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hi I'm not on any deficit really although I'm well underneath my TDEE because I'm five days into starting the whole eat more to lose weight journey. Therefore I've come from circa 1200 cal and I've upped my calories this week to 1400 cal and I'm paying particular attention to the macro readings. The aim is to increase my calories by 100 each week to gradually climb up to 1786 cals which the Scooby app estimates is my TDEE. I am currently not doing any form of exercise at all and I'm now deliberately not doing any home gym stuff so that my body can just get used to something new (I wasn't doing any exercise really prior to starting here but it's something this year I really want to get going on) – that being me filling it full of food, which must be quite a shock to my system!

Maybe it's nothing at all and my body is just getting used to everything but I wondered whether there was a reason why more protein than my body is used to might make someone feel tired.

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Honestly its just your metabolism working overtime because you are feeding it more.. so its normal to feel a bit sluggish as things start to pick up and burn again. use it as downtime, and in not time you will be back to feeling "normal" again. Keep in mind as you start to increase more, you will feel "full" for a few days, and then revenous:)
    I dont think it had much to do with an increase in protein per say, just an overall general increase in your cals, causing your body to work harder to metabolize it.