Costco coconut oil

So I bought coconut oil at costco today. Turns out it's unrefined and very coconut-y. Is there any difference in using it? Will it behave differently in fatbombs or anything?

Right now I'm doing my first oil-pulling with it and loving the taste.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    So I bought coconut oil at costco today. Turns out it's unrefined and very coconut-y. Is there any difference in using it? Will it behave differently in fatbombs or anything?

I will only buy organic, unrefined cold pressed. I just try to avoid anything with the word "refined". I guess I associate it with so many things that food companies have already ruined.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I saw organic unrefined cold pressed coconut oil at WM last night in the baking isle. Both 54 oz and just under and just over $20 each. I use 14 oz glass jars from Krogers because take up less counter space. They run $6 - $8 depending on sales.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I will only buy organic, unrefined cold pressed. I just try to avoid anything with the word "refined". I guess I associate it with so many things that food companies have already ruined.

Same here.. I didn't like the consistency or taste of refined CO at all.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I buy both, they work the same. I love the coconut flavor in most things, especially hot cocoa
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    hot cocoa with coconut oil? explain recipe please
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Like making bpc but no coffee, just cream or water, cocoa powder, sweetener if you like and coconut oil, I add cinnamon and cayenne to make it a little spicy
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    hot cocoa with coconut oil? explain recipe please

Chocolate protein powder or cocoa
    coconut oil
    Butter
    Heavy whipping cream
    Blend with hand immersion blender and top up with boiled water or coconut cream/milk.
    A creamy hot chocolate :smiley:
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    I've started using Carringtons coconut oil in with my double cream coffee, if I add to hot liquid and as it melts the weight changes. I now put my 10g in the empty mug. Think it's an acquired taste, getting better every day, give some to the dog too in the hope it'll help with the excess moulting. Coconut oil has so many uses.