Daily carbs limit

Michelle2W
Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
How many grams of carbs do you try to stay under daily?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    We have a stickie at the top of the group called the Launch Pad. It's full of all kinds of low-carb info and links to off-site resources like recipe sites, too.

Here's a link to a low-carb overview that has a section to help you decide where you'd like to keep your carbs, based upon your goals, personal preference, and any medical issues you might have.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039486/what-is-low-carb-an-overview-and-guide

Inside it discusses different carb levels.
    Low-carb diets range from 120-150g all the way down to <20g. It just depends on your needs.
    You might not need help deciding on which you prefer, but it reinforces other important focuses of low-carb other than just carbs. Like fat and electrolytes. Info that will help you be more successful.

Annnnnnyway...
    As for me, I'm doing keto, so I aim for under 50g total daily. I don't have diabetes. But I've had gestational diabetes, it's on both sides of my family, and I was obese. Carbs are what I binge-eat. Bad. I find ketosis-level carbs give me the control of carb-cravings I need as well as other benefits. Like mosquitoes don't bite me, my skin stays more clear, hunger feels lots less dire, depression is gone and my ADD is much improved, and PMS is less insane. I LOVE the foods I eat, and I feel like I could do this the rest of my life. So it works for me. But many find it pretty hardcore. However, there are lots of folks here who are even more hardcore than I.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    20 total is a good starting point for most people depending on your goals. Allow 4 to 6 weeks to fully keto adapted before tinkering. Sodium. 3-5 grams per day. Water. Lots. Magnesium.

Binge research.

Plus 1 on the launch pad.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    20g is where many who are looking to eat a ketogenic diet start. If you are looking for low carb without mostly relying on ketosis for fuel, you could start just about anywhere under 100g to 150g (for larger more active people). I know 100 doesn't sound like much either but it is 5 times more than what I eat. ;) You could ft a variety of veggies into that with relative ease. :)

Anyways, I eat 20g per day. Approximately. I am trying to stay in ketosis though.

Best wishes.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Less than 20g total carbs & 90g protein.
    That & meds & exercise gives me pretty good
    control of my diabetes.

>:) or o:)
  • Michelle2W
    Thanks everyone! I thought I was really low carbing it, by staying under 100...LOL. Which is presently working for me. I'll surely have to make some adjusts, as I get closer to me goal weight
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    You are low carb dear! 150, or less is low carb. If you want ketogenic, it's 50, or less. Many are successful at 100. I ditto the above posters! You can't read too much about this woe! Best of luck!

Also, I'm 20, or less too! :smiley:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Yeah, 100g worked well for me, but plenty of people will support you here if you decide to become a ketogenic biohacker in the 20g range. :)
  • Michelle2W
    I'll have to research ketogenic. I'm just hearing about this recently
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not keto, so my carbs are set to 90g, but usually hover around 40-60g
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    68. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I average around 20g total myself. I chose Keto because I wanted to experience the brain benefits and the more I learn about it, the more sure I am that it's my forever way of eating.
    I've had great improvement to my ADHD symptoms, though I am still taking meds. I plan to reduce the dosage at my next check up.
    I've never felt more focused and "with it" and normal before! I'm hooked!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Although I allow myself up to 50, I love staying down around 20 net. In order to eat my vegetables. still enjoy those easy super low carb days, and not spend all my time cooking, I'm thinking of cycling my amounts.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    I started out aiming for 20 net but bounced around a bit within a small range. It seems like anywhere from 20-30gm net works for me.

Starting to move toward maintenance and not sure yet if I want to try to stay in ketosis long-term or not. I guess I need to research more about that. I'm thinking 50-80gm total for long-term but we'll see.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I try to stay under 100. I have times I'm lower, and times I'm higher, consistently under 100 I feel great and it's very easily doable for me.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Under 20 carbs here, too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    20-30 for me.
  • Michelle2W
    It's great hearing what's working for everyone. I feel healthier when I stay under 100. Also, I've noticed the low carbs benefits in just three weeks.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    That's wonderful @Michelle2W!
  • ncprice1
    ncprice1 Posts: 20 Member
    Hiya. I do 30 to 40 per day. But what worked for me may work for you: just focus on eating and avoiding the right foods and let your body tell you what it needs. Please drink your water and be mindful of the need to supplement minerals (sodium, magnesium, etc). One size does not fit all, so listen to your body.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Under 20 here too